PDA

View Full Version : Rep. Liz Cheney compares herself to Abraham Lincoln following resounding defeat in Wyoming primary

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2022, 10:28 AM
By Brandon Gillespie | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/2gQ4iTo.png

Following her primary election defeat to Harriet Hageman Tuesday evening, Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., used her concession speech to compare herself to former President Abraham Lincoln and hinted that her future in politics might not be finished just yet.

"The great and original champion of our party, Abraham Lincoln, was defeated in elections for the Senate and the House before he won the most important election of all," Cheney told a crowd of supporters in Jackson, Wyoming. "Lincoln ultimately prevailed, he saved our union, and he defined our obligation as Americans for all of history."

"Speaking at Gettysburg of the great task remaining before us, Lincoln said that, ‘We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, and for the people, shall not perish from this earth.’ As we meet here tonight, that remains our greatest and most important task," she added.

Talk has been swirling that Cheney, knowing she would lose to Hageman, was possibly planning a run for president in 2024, and a large portion of her speech focused on attacking former President Donald Trump over his questioning of the results of the 2020 presidential election, and arguing that he should never be elected president again.

Trump reacted with pure delight to Cheney's loss, referring to it as a "wonderful result" in a post on Truth Social.

"Congratulations to Harriet Hageman on her great and very decisive WIN in Wyoming," he wrote. "This is a wonderful result for America, and a complete rebuke of the Unselect Committee of political Hacks and Thugs."

"Liz Cheney should be ashamed of herself, the way she acted, and her spiteful, sanctimonious words and actions towards others. Now she can finally disappear into the depths of political oblivion where, I am sure, she will be much happier than she is right now. Thank you WYOMING!" he added.

The former president also said: "Liz Cheney’s uninspiring concession speech, in front of a ‘tiny’ crowd in the Great State of Wyoming, focused on her belief that the 2020 Presidential Election was not, despite massive and conclusive evidence to the contrary, Rigged & Stolen."

Trump added that "Liz Cheney is a fool who played right into the hands of those who want to destroy our Country!"

https://i.imgur.com/p90DDgc.png

In her victory speech, Hageman vowed to be accountable to the citizens of Wyoming and said that she was "sick and tired of not having a voice in the U.S. House of Representatives," referring to Cheney.

"Wyoming has sent the message that if you are going to claim to live in Wyoming, you better damn well live in Wyoming," Hageman said. "Wyoming has drawn a line in the sand that we put you in power, you will be accountable to us, you will answer to us, you will do what is in our best interests, and if you don't, we will fire you."

PorkChopSandwiches
08-17-2022, 03:02 PM
Ok Byeeeee

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2022, 03:33 PM
She's EXACTLY like Lincoln :hand:

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2022, 03:34 PM

She's still alive, so... not yet.

deebakes
08-18-2022, 02:26 AM
where's the top hat and beard?

Pony
08-18-2022, 08:15 AM

She's a vampire hunter?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2022, 10:46 AM
She's a vampire hunter?

:winner:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2022, 10:48 AM
By Joe Silverstein | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/ekoAzCF.png

The New York Times published an op-ed Wednesday that argued that Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., who lost her primary race by over 37 points, actually won because she is morally superior to Republican voters.

The piece, titled "In the Ways That Count, Liz Cheney Won," was written by Frank Bruni, a contribution opinion writer who was on the Times' staff for over 25 years, for his weekly newsletter.

While Bruni conceded that "Liz Cheney was defeated overwhelmingly in her House Republican primary in Wyoming" and that "her time in Congress is winding down", he argued that despite this, "it’s impossible for me to say that she lost."

He wrote that Cheney "chose the tough world of truth over Donald Trump’s underworld of lies" and "that’s a moral victory."

Bruni argued that Cheney's "cleareyed vision to see Trump for what he is…makes her a champion in the ways that count most."

"Come January, she will no longer be Representative Cheney because she represents steadfast principle in an era with a devastating deficit of it," Bruni wrote.

"History will smile on her for that," he continued.

Bruni argued that "there could be no dispute, at least not among honest and sensible patriots, about the correctness of her positions on Trump, on her party’s fealty to him and on the peril that he poses to the future of American democracy."

https://i.imgur.com/MTMve2w.png

Implicit in his argument is that the people who voted against Cheney, in his view, are not honest and sensible.

Bruni noted that he "was sad and angry when she celebrated the Supreme Court’s decision to overturn Roe v. Wade" but that he "grudgingly respected Cheney’s fidelity to her beliefs and readiness to alienate her newest fans."

"[H]eroes are as messy as villains," Bruni wrote of Cheney. "But a hero she is."

He concluded, "The losers on Tuesday night were the Republican Party, which needs her more than she needs it, and the United States, which needs rescue from its ruinous indulgence of Trump. Cheney has made that case as forcefully as anyone, holding on to the greatest prize of all: her dignity."

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2022, 01:11 PM
:rofl: I hope they all keep winning then

Teh One Who Knocks
08-18-2022, 01:17 PM
:rofl: I hope they all keep winning then

You know she's going to change parties. She's going to either become an "independent" or just go all the way and switch to a democrat.