PDA

View Full Version : Ian reaches major hurricane status, will be a historic storm for Florida

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2022, 01:33 PM
ERIC BERGER - Ars Technica

https://i.imgur.com/gXPUxVw.jpg

Hurricane Ian continued to intensify on Monday night and reached sustained winds of 125 mph as its center passed across the western edge of Cuba. From there, the storm will move into the southeastern Gulf of Mexico, where very warm water and low wind shear will allow for further intensification.

The hurricane has been moving around the western edge of a high pressure system, but as Ian approaches the western coast of Florida on Wednesday it will start to run into a trough of low pressure draped across the southeastern United States. The net effect of this will cause Ian to slow down, perhaps only moving a few miles per hour for a couple of days.

All of this is a recipe for disaster for much of the Florida peninsula, but it's difficult to say precisely where, and precisely which effects. Even though landfall is expected to occur in less than two days, there remains considerable uncertainty in where Ian will make landfall along the western Florida coast, and where it will go. This is due, in part, to the breakdown of its steering currents.

Tampa

The area most at risk is the densely populated Tampa region, which is built up around a large bay that would serve as a funnel for storm surge. Some risk analyses have found that more than half a million homes in Tampa are vulnerable to surges of water—pushed by the circulation of a hurricane over the ocean—with a replacement cost of $126 billion. About half of the metro area's population lives in homes built at elevations of 10 feet or lower.

In the run-up to Ian's landfall, the Tampa region has received much of the attention due to its large population and the fact that it has not been struck by a major hurricane in more than a century. The region has escaped direct impacts from a powerful hurricane ever since an unnamed hurricane hit the area in late October, 1921. The region's population has increased more than 10-fold since then, to about 3 million people.

Were Ian to make landfall on Tampa, or within about 50 to 100 miles to the north, it truly would bring a devastating storm surge to the area, along with major wind damage. These effects, combined with a slow-moving hurricane, would be just about the worst-case-scenario storm for Tampa or any populated area.

However, due to the lack of certainty about Ian's track during the next two days, it remains possible that Ian could come ashore south of Tampa. A hurricane's storm surge is always worse to the right of its center, where its counter-clockwise circulation is pushing water toward the shore. A landfall even 20 or 30 miles south of Tampa would still be bad, but it would spare Tampa Bay from considerable flood damage.

Rest of Florida

Ian is expected to make landfall along the west or southwest coast of Florida and then track northward across much of the peninsula. Although its winds will be somewhat reduced as the center comes onshore, it will still pack a punch. Inland communities such as Orlando and The Villages, according to the National Hurricane Center, have at least a 1-in-5 chance of experiencing hurricane-force winds.

In addition to the winds, for inland areas of Florida, there is also a serious threat of heavy and prolonged rainfall. Ian's slow movement will exacerbate these rains as part of its large structure remains offshore, drawing moisture to thunderstorms over land.

Although it's not yet possible to have confidence in precisely where the heaviest rains will occur, it seems probable that a swath of 15 to 25 inches of rainfall will cover a significant area of the Florida peninsula as Ian moves inland and drenches the state. This will compound the misery for those whose roofs are damaged by wind or are left without power.

https://i.imgur.com/D0rrvVO.png

The latest track forecast for Ian also brings the storm center very near, if not directly over Kenned Space Center and the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. NASA prudently decided on Monday to roll its massive Space Launch System rocket and Orion spacecraft into the Vehicle Assembly Building for protective cover. While this is likely to cause an approximately six-week delay to the Artemis I mission, that is better than damaging the vehicles.

United Launch Alliance has a mission planned for Friday, September 30, to launch two television broadcast satellites for SES from Cape Canaveral. Expect that to be delayed. NASA, too, is also hoping to launch its next crew mission to the International Space Station as early as October 3. Depending on Ian's effects, including damage to the spaceport and disruption of the lives of those who work there, this Crew-5 launch on SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket could also be delayed.

On Monday SpaceX Vice President of Build and Flight Reliability Bill Gerstenmaier said the Crew Dragon spacecraft is mated to the Falcon 9 rocket. For now, however, the vehicles remain safely inside the company's hangar in Florida. "We’re ready to roll out whenever the weather is ready to roll out," Gerstenmaier said during a news conference.

lost in melb.
09-27-2022, 03:41 PM
:wank: :dwank:
:uwank::lwank:

DemonGeminiX
09-27-2022, 06:06 PM
The current track has Ian crossing Florida and running straight up the East Coast side, and running right over top of me as a Tropical Storm. Should be fun.

lost in melb.
09-27-2022, 07:16 PM
The current track has Ian crossing Florida and running straight up the East Coast side, and running right over top of me as a Tropical Storm. Should be fun.

:woot:

Pony
09-27-2022, 09:00 PM

Do you have a generator?

DemonGeminiX
09-27-2022, 10:07 PM
Do you have a generator?

Nope. I was looking at them a while ago, but never got around to getting one. Was also looking at those portable Weber Joe grills as well, but again, never got one. Oh well. I'll be alright.

Pony
09-27-2022, 11:06 PM
Nope. I was looking at them a while ago, but never got around to getting one. Was also looking at those portable Weber Joe grills as well, but again, never got one. Oh well. I'll be alright.

I've got a little 2200W dual fuel, run it on propane. It's enough to power a circuit in my place. I can run the router (satellite internet, tower has a generator backup) a laptop, tv, fridge a few LED lights and either 1 window AC or a space heater on low/medium.

I like propane because you can store it indefinitely, unlike gas.

Assuming the wind isn't blowing 70mph in a torrential downpour I can grill outside, A little single burner 120v camp stove might be a good idea for me. I could run the toaster oven if I had to.

My generator [CODE][https://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Generator-Capability-Compliant-PG2200BiS/dp/B07J5HD8L9/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2FPRFGL466W76&keywords=pulsar+generator&qid=1664319249&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjM4IiwicXNhIjoiMy43NiIsInFzcCI6IjM uMTQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=pulsar%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-7&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.ac2169a1-b668-44b9-8bd0-5ec63b24bcb5/CODE]

deebakes
09-28-2022, 03:39 AM
good luck buddy

Godfather
09-28-2022, 05:43 AM
Damn. good luck DGX. Stay safe man, let us know how we can help

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2022, 10:33 AM
by Julia Musto - FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/mXNuo3P.png

In a 5 a.m. EDT update, the National Hurricane Center said that the center of Hurricane Ian was located about 125 kilometers west-southwest of Naples, Florida.

Hurricane hunters found that the storm had strengthened into an extremely dangerous Category 4 hurricane.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 140 miles per hour, with higher gusts.

The agency warned that it was expected to cause life-threatening storm surge and catastrophic winds and flooding in the Florida peninsula.

Ian was moving toward the north-northeast near 10 mph, with a reduction in speed forecast on Wednesday before turning north on Thursday.

The center of the hurricane is projected to approach the western coast of the Sunshine State and move onshore later in the day.

On Wednesday evening and Thursday morning, the center will move over central Florida, before it emerges over the western Atlantic by late Thursday.

Some fluctuations in intensity are possible, the center noted, before Ian reaches the coast and weakening is expected after landfall.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-29-2022, 11:51 AM
By Julia Musto | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/4e06MFn.png

Ian was downgraded to a tropical storm on Thursday morning by the National Hurricane Center.

It slammed southwestern Florida as a Category 4 hurricane on Wednesday afternoon, including a 140-mile-per-hour gust recorded in Cape Coral.

In an interview on ABC's "Good Morning America," Lee County Sheriff Carmine Marceno said that fatalities in his county are in the "hundreds."

Forecasters warned that the danger was far from over, including impacts from strong winds and heavy rain.

https://i.imgur.com/C0BvOUq.png

In an update, the center warned that a life-threatening storm surge was expected through Friday along the coasts of northeastern Florida, Georgia and South Carolina.

Tropical-storm-force winds are anticipated to spread northward as well, with hurricane conditions possible through Friday along those coasts.

A hurricane watch was in effect.

In addition, life-threatening catastrophic flooding was forecast to continue Thursday across parts of central Florida, with considerable flooding in northern Florida, southeastern Georgia and eastern South Carolina through the end of the week.

Ian was located about 40 miles southeast of Orlando.

https://i.imgur.com/6lPLZBB.png

Its maximum sustained winds had decreased to near 65 miles per hour, with higher gusts.

Tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 415 miles from the center of the storm.

https://i.imgur.com/dVGIoXm.png

It is moving toward the northeast near 8 mph, before a turn toward the north-northeast later Thursday.

It will head toward the north and north-northwest with an increase in forward speed on Friday and Friday night.

The hurricane will go down in history as tied for the fourth-strongest landfalling hurricane in the Sunshine State.

DemonGeminiX
09-29-2022, 12:42 PM
It's forecast to arc out into the Atlantic ocean off the Florida east coast and come back in to the Carolinas as a tropical storm. It'll go around me. I'll probably get some wind and rain late tonight and through tomorrow, but nothing too bad. We'll see.

DemonGeminiX
09-29-2022, 03:10 PM
Now Ian's currently projected to regain Hurricane category 1 strength out in the Atlantic and hit the South Carolina coast sometime Friday. The arc/path is currently being maintained. I swear those Carolina people get no breaks whatsoever.

Pony
09-30-2022, 03:49 AM
So far 5 friends or acquaintances have reported in that they are ok from the Ft Myers area, still waiting on a couple more. One couple JUST bought a place and moved down there a couple weeks ago, apparently they were still "waiting on the insurance inspection". In other words, they had no insurance and their place is a total loss.

lost in melb.
09-30-2022, 04:08 AM
So far 5 friends or acquaintances have reported in that they are ok from the Ft Myers area, still waiting on a couple more. One couple JUST bought a place and moved down there a couple weeks ago, apparently they were still "waiting on the insurance inspection". In other words, they had no insurance and their place is a total loss.

That's horrible.

Godfather
09-30-2022, 04:24 AM

That is horrific... usually here at least you have to have insurance to get a mortgage and close on your home. We send inspectors sometimes, but coverage is always in place already if we're sending out our inspectors, and then if there are issues we'll address them while sorting out if it impacts their coverage or not and will always give plenty of notice if the inspection reveals some reason we can't stay on risk. Is that not the case? Devastating to hear if not :(

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2022, 12:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQ-nTTv4ik

DemonGeminiX
09-30-2022, 12:31 PM
The threat to my area has passed. There was a little wind and some rain yesterday and last night, but nothing too terrible. I gotta get somebody to rake the leaves up.

Sorry for your friends, Pony.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-30-2022, 12:37 PM
By Alexis Christoforous - ABC News

https://i.imgur.com/vWlCVVy.png

Hurricane Ian could cripple Florida's already-fragile homeowners insurance market. Experts say a major storm like Ian could push some of those insurance companies into insolvency, making it harder for people to collect on claims.

Since January 2020, at least a dozen insurance companies in the state have gone out of business, including six this year alone. Nearly 30 others are on the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation's "Watch List" because of financial instability.

"Hurricane Ian will test the financial preparedness of some insurers to cover losses to their portfolios, in particular smaller Florida carriers with high exposure concentrations in the impacted areas," Jeff Waters, an analyst at Moody's Analytics subsidiary RMS and a meteorologist, told ABC News. Waters said Florida is a peak catastrophe zone for reinsurers, and those with exposure will likely incur meaningful losses.

More than 1 million homes on the Florida Gulf Coast are in the storm's path, and while Ian's track and severity can change in the coming days, one early estimate pegs the potential reconstruction cost at $258 billion, according to Corelogic, a property analytics firm.

Industry analysts say years of rampant and frivolous litigation and scams have brought Florida's home-insurance market to its knees, with many large insurers like Allstate and State Farm, reducing their exposure to the state in the past decade.

"Insurers most exposed to the storm will be the Florida-only insurers, which we define as insurance companies with at least 75% of their homeowners and commercial property premiums written in Florida," according to a report from Moody's Analytics submitted to ABC News.

The state-run, taxpayer-subsidized Citizens Property Insurance Corp. stands to lose the most. As more local insurance companies in Florida have closed their doors, Citizens has seen its number of policyholders swell from 700,000 to more than 1 million in just the past year.

Florida state Sen. Jeff Brandes, a Republican from St. Petersburg and a vocal critic of Florida's insurance industry, warns that if Citizens can't pay its claims, Floridians should brace for assessments to go up on their own insurance policies under a state law that allows it to assess non-customers to pay out claims.

"Every policy holder in the state of Florida, home and auto, should be watching this storm very carefully because it could have a direct impact on their pocketbooks," said Brandes. He predicts policy holders will see rate hikes of up to 40% next year as a result of Ian.

A spokesperson for Citizens tells ABC News that if their preliminary estimate of 225,000 claims and $3.8 billion in losses holds, the insurer of last resort would be in a position to pay all claims without having to levy a "hurricane tax" on residents.

Florida is already home to the highest insurance premiums in the U.S., something Charlie Crist, the former Florida governor running against incumbent Gov. Ron DeSantis, blames on his opponent.

"Gov. DeSantis let these insurance companies double Floridians' rates and they're still going belly up when homeowners need them most. You pay and pay and pay, and the insurance company isn't there for you in the end anyway," Crist said in a statement Monday.

A spokesperson for DeSantis did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.

In May, DeSantis signed a bipartisan property insurance reform bill into law that poured $2 billion into a reinsurance relief program and $150 million into a grant program for hurricane retrofitting. Among other things, it prohibits insurance companies from denying coverage based on the age of a roof and limits attorney fees on frivolous claims and lawsuits.

At a news conference Tuesday, DeSantis said a lot of the damage from Ian would be from flooding and storm surge. DeSantis said the danger with the Tampa Bay area is that the water has no place to go, noting that the area has close to 1 million residents enrolled in a national flood insurance program.

https://i.imgur.com/SyZGZIx.png

Homeowner policies typically do not cover flood damage, and most homeowners located in a flood zone often get coverage from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Most private property insurance companies insure primarily for wind damage.

President Joe Biden on Thursday approved DeSantis' request for a disaster declaration for a number of counties in the state. It includes grants for temporary housing and home repairs and low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses.

"The expense will be higher because of higher construction costs and overall inflation," Denise Rappmund, the vice president of Moody's Public Project and Infrastructure Finance Group, told ABC News. "FEMA is the key source of aid following a natural disaster, but much of the costs to repair and rebuild damaged property will be borne by property insurers who will benefit from $2 billion of state-funded reinsurance."

Analysts say Hurricane Ian has the potential to be among the four costliest storms in U.S. history, mostly because Florida's population has exploded in recent years.

No state in the eastern U.S. has grown faster in population than Florida in the past decade and the state's fastest growing cities: Tampa, Fort Myers and Sarasota, are all in the storm's path. Analysts warn that more people and more homes mean that a major storm could become more destructive and costly.

lost in melb.
09-30-2022, 03:43 PM
Good call. This is the worst ramification. In the floodplains of Australia after years of flooding building houses is no longer viable due to insurance costs.

Pony
10-01-2022, 09:42 AM
Finally got an update from another couple I know that recently moved there, they had intended to hunker down through the storm, at 5AM the day it hit they made the call to make a run for it. All I'd heard until now is they were "ok". They just got back in and got communications back. They also lost everything. I'm really glad they evacuated when they did.

Pony
10-01-2022, 06:30 PM
Some better news, it looks like my bosses condo complex only sustained minor damage to the buildings, lots of trees down, some minor roof damage and broken windows but it seems they faired much better than many.