PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand’s voting age of 18 is discriminatory, court rules

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2022, 03:24 PM
By Jesse O’Neill - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/DcpgqDs.png

New Zealand lawmakers are set to debate lowering the country’s voting age to 16 after the nation’s high court ruled its current voting age of 18 is discriminatory.

The Supreme Court ruled Monday that the current law was inconsistent with New Zealand’s Bill of Rights, which mandates that citizens cannot face age discrimination after reaching 16.

The ruling was the culmination of a two-year legal battle spearheaded by the advocacy group Make It 16.

https://i.imgur.com/NmEhLn3.png

“This is history,” said Make It 16 co-director Caeden Tipler, adding: “The government and parliament cannot ignore such a clear legal and moral message. They must let us vote.”

Advocates argued there was no reason to ban 16- and 17-year-olds from voting when they are legally allowed to drive and work full-time jobs that would require them to pay taxes.

https://i.imgur.com/bjzg6pG.png

The court’s ruling begins a process where the issue must be discussed by parliament and reviewed by a select committee.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said a measure that lowered the voting age to 16 would be drafted before being put to a vote.

“I personally support a decrease in the voting age but it is not a matter simply for me or even the government, any change in electoral law of this nature requires 75% of parliamentarian support,” she said.

Lawmakers are split on the subject, with the Green Party in favor of lowering the voting age and the large opposition National party opposed.

“Obviously, we’ve got to draw a line somewhere,” said National party leader Christopher Luxon. “We’re comfortable with the line being 18. Lots of different countries have different places where the line’s drawn and from our point of view, 18’s just fine.”

New Zealanders cannot buy booze without parental consent before the age of 18, and must be 17 to apply for the armed services.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2022, 04:09 PM
We need to raise it to 21

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2022, 04:18 PM
We need to raise it to 21

I would be okay with going as high as 25.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2022, 04:39 PM
even better

PorkChopSandwiches
11-21-2022, 04:39 PM
And you must be a male landowner

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2022, 05:14 PM
even better

I would also be in favor of making them pass a simple 10 question civics test before they can vote and if you can't get at least 9 out of 10, then no voting. Simple things like name the Vice President, name one of your two federal Senators, name the federal Representative for your district, etc.

And you must be a male landowner

:lol:

DemonGeminiX
11-21-2022, 06:58 PM
I would also be in favor of making them pass a simple 10 question civics test before they can vote and if you can't get at least 9 out of 10, then no voting. Simple things like name the Vice President, name one of your two federal Senators, name the federal Representative for your district, etc.

I would be ok with that.

lost in melb.
11-21-2022, 09:06 PM

:lol:

I would make it more fair. They are allowed to get 9 out of 10 wrong but not all 10 wrong.

Pony
11-21-2022, 09:16 PM
I would be okay with going as high as 25.

Yup.

deebakes
11-22-2022, 12:53 AM
since kids are so mature these days and killing people, 13 seems fair