PDA

View Full Version : FBI: Credible lead in D.B. Cooper case

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 01:24 PM
A mystery for 40 years
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/7TEyK.jpg

SEATTLE (AP) — The FBI says it has a "credible" lead in the D.B. Cooper case involving the 1971 hijacking of a passenger jet over Washington state and the suspect's legendary parachute escape.

The fate and identity of the hijacker dubbed "D.B. Cooper" has remained a mystery in the 40 years since a man jumped from a Northwest Orient Airlines 727 flight with $200,000 in ransom.

The recent tip provided to the FBI came from a law enforcement member who directed investigators to a person who might have helpful information on the suspect, FBI spokeswoman Ayn Sandalo Dietrich told The Seattle Times on Sunday. She called the new information the "most promising lead we have right now," but cautioned that investigators were not on the verge of breaking the case.

"With any lead our first step is to assess how credible it is," Sandalo Dietrich told the Seattle Post Intelligencer on Saturday. "Having this come through another law enforcement (agency), having looked it over when we got it - it seems pretty interesting."

Dietrich says an item belonging to the man was sent to a lab in Quantico, Va., for forensic testing. She did not provide specifics about the item or the man's identity.

Federal investigators have checked more than 1,000 leads since the suspect bailed out on Nov. 24, 1971, over the Pacific Northwest. The man who jumped gave his name as Dan Cooper and claimed shortly after takeoff in Portland, Ore., that he had a bomb, leading the flight crew to land the plane in Seattle, where passengers were exchanged for parachutes and ransom money.

The flight then took off for Mexico with the suspect and flight crew on board before the man parachuted from the plane.

The FBI's recent tip in the case was first reported by The Telegraph newspaper in London.

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 08:42 PM
you know...this is one of the coolest legends of our time.Guy gets away from a hijack/ransom by parachuting into the wilderness.

That being said, surely it's time to give this up.How much money and manpower have been assigned to this case over the span of 40 years? Over 200 grand? ....

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, in terms of common sense, I think the statute of limitations has ran out on this one already.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Is there a limitation on plane hijacking?

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I read that the statute varies for the type of crime.I think that they can reopen any case they choose :lol:

other than the rule about trying someone twice for the same crime

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
I said "in terms of common sense".

If you've spent 40 years looking for a lead and still don't have one that's an absolute slam dunk, it's about time to let it go. Chalk this one up to not having the technology back then that we have today.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I said "in terms of common sense".

If you've spent 40 years looking for a lead and still don't have one that's an absolute slam dunk, it's about time to let it go. Chalk this one up to not having the technology back then that we have today.

There is no statute of limitations on common sense :nono:

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:15 PM
There is no statute of limitations on common sense :nono:

LiHo staggering around drunk in public is a fine illustration of this point :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
There is when you're not using it.

[-(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 09:16 PM
LiHo staggering around drunk in public is a fine illustration of this point :thumbsup:

:hater:

There is when you're not using it.

[-(

Wrong :hand:

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Wrong :hand:

Am not.

[-(

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
*whispers*

and the password to Lance is " Are too! :x "

JoeyB
08-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Motherfucker did what no one else has done. He is a legend, albeit a criminal one. Forty years...let it go. Who are they going to arrest, Grandpa needsahip?

Though, this does bring up an interesting debate...does age negate guilt? In the last few years the Jews have redoubled their efforts to catch the last remaining Nazis...why? I read it was because they wanted to get them before they died, it was an oddly vindictive attitude, considering by their own admission most of the ones they were trying to find were low level types...guards and privates and people who really had little to do with the atrocities of the war.

Which brings up another interesting point...how low level and out of the loop does a Nazi have to be before he wasn't guilty of a war crime? It's been a long standing rule that 'just following orders' is not in any way a defense.

Which brings up another point...if we, America, have committed war crimes in the last decade, are our soldiers guilty? After all, just following orders...

Damn, DB Cooper, you opened a can of worms tonight.

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
To answere Bluemangroup's question - I feel that age does not negate guilt.

Nazi war criminals are a good example.If a man commit atrocities in 1944 and today is 98 years old,
that only means that he's lived free for over 60 years, when he should have been brought to trial.

kill 'em, kill em all

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
:facepalm:

dammit Joey, you made me think! :x

DB's incident should be forgotten because it was a bloodless crime and the amount spent on the case over 40 years has likely exceeded the initial theft value.

Nazi war crimes however, are not comparable to this story when talking about age...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 09:40 PM

DB's incident should be forgotten because it was a bloodless crime and the amount spent on the case over 40 years has likely exceeded the initial theft value.

Nazi war crimes however, are not comparable to this story when talking about age...

Adjusted for inflation: What cost $200000 in 1971 would cost $1064494.80 in 2010.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Hal-9000
08-01-2011, 09:47 PM
I always imagine the thoughts of the ones who got away...

If this guy lived he must have loved watching 40 years of detective work and smiled a lot...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2011, 09:49 PM
On the whole thing, even though they never found a body, I think he died

DemonGeminiX
08-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Adjusted for inflation: What cost $200000 in 1971 would cost $1064494.80 in 2010.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Don't forget to inflate the amount spent on the initial investigation and investigating all those leads that turned up nothing over the years. Man hours jack up the cost like you wouldn't believe.

:nono:

I guarantee you, law enforcement has spent way more investigating the crime than the crime itself has actually cost.

On the whole thing, even though they never found a body, I think he died

I'd like to believe that he survived. But I guess we'll never really know, now will we?

AntZ
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
This story always intrigued me.

And I'll never forget this movie when it first came out, it was loosely based on the story. It's about a group of hikers that see a man coming down and shoot him then start fighting over the money. One by one, they kill each other off, and no one winds up with the money.

Deliver Us from Evil (TV 1973) With: George Kennedy and Jan-Michael Vincent

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069961/

JoeyB
08-01-2011, 10:47 PM
To answere Bluemangroup's question - I feel that age does not negate guilt.

Nazi war criminals are a good example.If a man commit atrocities in 1944 and today is 98 years old,
that only means that he's lived free for over 60 years, when he should have been brought to trial.

kill 'em, kill em all

But, what Nazis are actually guilty of war crimes? How deep down the ladder does the guilt flow?

Oh and sorry I made you think...I know how you feel, sometimes you just want to surf and fuck about a bit and suddenly BAM...deep shit.

Don't forget to inflate the amount spent on the initial investigation and investigating all those leads that turned up nothing over the years. Man hours jack up the cost like you wouldn't believe.

:nono:

I guarantee you, law enforcement has spent way more investigating the crime than the crime itself has actually cost.

I'd like to believe that he survived. But I guess we'll never really know, now will we?

I like to believe too. And we may know, if any lead pans out.

The cost issue is irrelevant...some crimes are aggressively pursued due to their nature. Bloodless or not, hijacking is majorly frowned upon. The cost of the investigation is meaningless next to the duty to try, for some crimes. Now, if this was a kid robbing a 7-11 in 1971, and some jackpot detective was still on it, that would be crazy. Like, if some cop pulled over and shut down a kids lemonade stand kind of crazy.

Pony
08-01-2011, 11:31 PM
That being said, surely it's time to give this up.How much money and manpower have been assigned to this case over the span of 40 years? .

I would think it's more of a "hobby" type of thing. If I had the means to solve a mystery like this I would do it on my own time....

deebakes
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Good ol' dee bakes cooper :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
:shock:

DemonGeminiX
08-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Good ol' dee bakes cooper :tup:

:-s

If you're DB Cooper, then I'm Keyser Soze.

[-(

Griffin
08-02-2011, 01:40 AM
A mystery for 40 years
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/7TEyK.jpg

SEATTLE (AP) — The FBI says it has a "credible" lead in the D.B. Cooper case involving the 1971 hijacking of a passenger jet over Washington state and the suspect's legendary parachute escape.

The fate and identity of the hijacker dubbed "D.B. Cooper" has remained a mystery in the 40 years since a man jumped from a Northwest Orient Airlines 727 flight with $200,000 in ransom.

The recent tip provided to the FBI came from a law enforcement member who directed investigators to a person who might have helpful information on the suspect, FBI spokeswoman Ayn Sandalo Dietrich told The Seattle Times on Sunday. She called the new information the "most promising lead we have right now," but cautioned that investigators were not on the verge of breaking the case.

"With any lead our first step is to assess how credible it is," Sandalo Dietrich told the Seattle Post Intelligencer on Saturday. "Having this come through another law enforcement (agency), having looked it over when we got it - it seems pretty interesting."

Dietrich says an item belonging to the man was sent to a lab in Quantico, Va., for forensic testing. She did not provide specifics about the item or the man's identity.

Federal investigators have checked more than 1,000 leads since the suspect bailed out on Nov. 24, 1971, over the Pacific Northwest. The man who jumped gave his name as Dan Cooper and claimed shortly after takeoff in Portland, Ore., that he had a bomb, leading the flight crew to land the plane in Seattle, where passengers were exchanged for parachutes and ransom money.

The flight then took off for Mexico with the suspect and flight crew on board before the man parachuted from the plane.

The FBI's recent tip in the case was first reported by The Telegraph newspaper in London.

I started with all the WTF's? and GOOD GODS! and FFS's! but came up with this story sucks balls.

...I thought there would be some news that wasn't 40 years old.

deebakes
08-02-2011, 03:30 AM
:shock:

[-(

i'm not db cooper :hand:

my dad is :oops:

JoeyB
08-02-2011, 04:27 AM

[-(

I would like it if you were Keyser Soze.

Hal-9000
08-02-2011, 04:39 AM
DB is actually a mistake that endured, that's not his name..

and we all know why they're still interested in the case...200000 of the gub's money dammit! :x

(148000 actually :oops:)

DemonGeminiX
08-02-2011, 05:11 AM
I would like it if you were Keyser Soze.

I'm Batman.

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/smiley/Batman1.gif

Hal-9000
08-02-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm Batman.

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/forum/images/smilies/smiley/Batman1.gif

Can I be your young ward, Dick Grayson? :face:

You will feed me, clothe me and give me free room and board?And all I have to do is wear tights, mask and a little cape and what?
Get changed while going down a batpole??

:| I think I may try for the Domino's delivery potion instead, thanks