PDA

View Full Version : Hotel guest sues after being charged 75 cents for USA Today

Teh One Who Knocks
08-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Hilton guest makes federal case of 75-cent paper
Henry K. Lee, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

A guest at a Hilton hotel in Santa Rosa who was upset that he was billed 75 cents for a newspaper he assumed was free has filed a federal class-action lawsuit against the hotel chain, saying he was deceived by a scheme that also hurts the environment.

Rodney Harmon, 55, of Sacramento said he visited the Hilton Garden Inn Sonoma County Airport on March 28 and saw a copy of USA Today outside his door.

"He did not request a newspaper and assumed it had been placed there by hotel staff," said the suit, filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in San Francisco. Harmon didn't realize until later that a 75-cent charge for the paper had been added to his bill.

Harmon accused Hilton of deliberately hiding the newspaper charge by describing the fee in an "extremely small font which is difficult to notice or read" on the sleeve of the room card.

The suit noted that newspaper readership and circulation has drastically declined over the past several decades and that most hotel guests probably aren't reading the paper anyway. The wasted papers are an "offensive waste of precious resources and energy," said the suit, which also said that "deforestation caused by paper production is a matter of concern and worry in this state, country and worldwide."

"Certainly if people who don't want newspapers are getting newspapers and then not using them, that is waste that we don't need," Kirk Wolden, an attorney representing Harmon, said Friday,

"The alleged consumer injury is substantial, causing millions of guests at defendant's hotels to unwittingly part with money for a newspaper they did not request and reasonably believed was provided to them without charge," the suit says.

Hilton officials declined comment, citing the pending litigation.

minz
08-02-2011, 02:45 AM
Hilton guest makes federal case of 75-cent paper
Henry K. Lee, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer

The wasted papers are an "offensive waste of precious resources and energy," said the suit, which also said that "deforestation caused by paper production is a matter of concern and worry in this state, country and worldwide.

A bit like this ridiculous law suit... what a hypocrite!! :meh:

deebakes
08-02-2011, 03:29 AM
if the same happens to me, i assume the paper is complimentary. never really paid attention while traveling :lol:

JoeyB
08-02-2011, 04:29 AM
if the same happens to me, i assume the paper is complimentary. never really paid attention while traveling :lol:

People never do pay much attention while traveling, it's what makes them such easy victims. Now, unzip your pants and bend over, or the knife tastes of your throat flesh.

Hal-9000
08-02-2011, 04:45 AM
the initial contact with the lawyer cost him 100 times the cost of that paper :facepalm:

JoeyB
08-02-2011, 05:41 AM
the initial contact with the lawyer cost him 100 times the cost of that paper :facepalm:

$75 to consult with a lawyer? That's not bad actually.

Hal-9000
08-02-2011, 05:52 AM
the first phone call ..

JoeyB
08-02-2011, 05:53 AM
the first phone call ..

Is $4.95 a minute, or $3.45 per if you prepay in ten minute 'happy ending' blocks.

Hal-9000
08-02-2011, 05:59 AM
Better Call Saul! :dance:

JoeyB
08-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Better Call Saul! :dance:

You want me to fake being a Jew to increase your confidence in my abilities?

AntZ
08-02-2011, 09:12 AM
The same thing happened to us when my wife and I stayed at the Westin in Rancho Mirage. They would drop a USA Today outside the door every morning, and for the first two days, the brats from the assholes in the next room would use it as a footmat when they would return from the pool. So both times when I would open the door in the morning, I would see it all thrashed and half drying from water. I would just leave it and the cleaning people would eventually pick it up.

When we got our bill, there it was, newspaper fee. It pissed me off, I told them about my papers and demanded they remove the charge, they did.

FBD
08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
obviously this guy's got some money to piss away :lol: but on principle...yeah, I can see it. what if you got fries with that order and were charged for it and you didnt want to pay, but since they already have your card...it does sound a tad frivolous, but at the same time, a business shouldnt be pulling shit like dropping stuff you dont want and charging you for it.

SmoothBob
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Death..