PDA

View Full Version : Zero students proficient in math in 23 Baltimore schools per state test results

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2023, 11:42 AM
by Chris Papst - FOX 45 Baltimore

https://i.imgur.com/JrCIvwX.png

BALTIMORE (WBFF) — Baltimore City is facing a devastating reality as the latest round of state test scores are released.

Project Baltimore analyzed the results and found a shocking number of Baltimore City schools where not a single student is doing math at grade level.

“We're not living up to our potential,” said Jovani Patterson, a Baltimore resident who made headlines in January 2022, when he filed a lawsuit against Baltimore City Schools. The suit claims the district is failing to educate students and, in the process, misusing taxpayer funds.

“We, the taxpayer, are funding our own demise,” Patterson said at the time.

Patterson was born in Baltimore. He has seen the failures firsthand. But when Project Baltimore showed him the latest test results for the city, he was momentarily rendered speechless.

“My immediate reaction is, take your kids out of these schools,” said Patterson.

The Maryland State Department of Education recently released the 2022 state test results known as MCAP, Maryland Comprehensive Assessment Program.

Baltimore City’s math scores were the lowest in the state. Just 7 percent of third through eighth graders tested proficient in math, which means 93 percent could not do math at grade level.

https://i.imgur.com/X4ZEwtl.png

But that’s not all; Project Baltimore combed through the scores at all 150 City Schools where the state math test was given.

Project Baltimore found, in 23 Baltimore City schools, there were zero students who tested proficient in math. Not a single student.

“It just sounds like these schools, now, have turned into essentially babysitters with no accountability,” said Patterson. “This is the future of our city. We’ve got to change this.”

Among the list of 23 schools, there are 10 high schools, eight elementary schools, three Middle/High schools and two Elementary/Middle schools.

Exactly 2,000 students, in total, took the state math test at these schools. Not one could do math at grade level.

“These kids can't do math. You're not preparing them to buy groceries. You're not preparing them to do accounting, to count their own money. You're not preparing them to read contracts and negotiate salaries,” said Patterson.

Maryland Governor Wes Moore delivered his first State of the State address last week.

“We made the largest investment in public education by any governor in our state’s history,” Moore said during his speech, making his feelings about public education clear. It’s one of his top priorities.

“We can no longer separate our vision for economic prosperity from the duty to make Maryland’s public schools the best in the nation,” Moore said.

After his State of the State address, Project Baltimore reached out to Moore’s office, asking to speak with him about his plan to improve education. Before becoming Governor, Moore lived in Baltimore. Project Baltimore wanted to ask him how he plans to help city students, especially those who attend the 23 schools.

Governor Moore’s office did not respond. But City Schools did send Project Baltimore a statement with steps it’s taking to improve math scores, including professional development for teachers, summer learning and an extended learning period at the end of the day.

The statement said in part, “We're confident these instructional strategies will help us regain the momentum and progress we experienced before the pandemic.”

https://i.imgur.com/xTvZXkZ.png

“Zero percent. What are you preparing these kids for?” said Patterson. “Are we expecting these kids to kill off themselves? I mean, we see the number of teen shootings happening just this year. What jobs are we preparing these kids for? That's the future.”

Project Baltimore found three additional schools where zero students tested proficient in math, which we did not include in the list of 23. One of those schools is for incarcerated youth, and the other two are for students with disabilities. And it’s important to note, another 20 Baltimore City Schools had just one or two students test proficient in math.

Baltimore City Schools with just 1 or 2 students proficient in Math

Bluford Drew Jemison STEM Academy West
Carver Vocational-Technical High
ConneXions: A Community Based Arts School
Dickey Hill Elementary/Middle
Digital Harbor High School
Dr. Bernard Harris, Sr., Elementary
Edmondson-Westside High
Eutaw-Marshburn Elementary
Frederick Elementary
Gwynns Falls Elementary
Lillie May Carroll Jackson School
Mergenthaler Vocational-Technical High
National Academy Foundation
Patterson High
Reginald F. Lewis High
Robert W. Coleman Elementary
Sinclair Lane Elementary
Stadium School
Tench Tilghman Elementary/Middle
Westport Academy

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2023, 11:58 AM
:facepalm:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2023, 12:24 PM
Big city public schools in action :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2023, 04:25 PM
I feel like there is a goal to just allow people to come up stupid so they can control them in the long run

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2023, 04:30 PM
I like the list of schools at the bottom of the article that says there's only 1 or 2 students proficient. One of them is a freaking STEM school, mathematics is literally what the M in STEM stands for. :shakehead:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2023, 04:41 PM
amazing :lol:

lost in melb.
02-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Perhaps you need some decent teachers. And stop the stupid woke scoring.