PDA

View Full Version : Trudeau Secretly Told NATO Officials Canada Won’t Ever Live Up To Its Defense Spending Commitments: REPORT

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2023, 06:21 PM
MICAELA BURROW, REPORTER - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/QZElhuEh.jpg

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau secretly told NATO officials he would never make the treaty’s mandatory minimum defense spending commitments, according to recently leaked Pentagon assessment obtained by The Washington Post.

Canada’s “widespread” military weaknesses are damaging Canada’s relationships with allies, the document, which is stamped by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, says, according to the Post. Washington has long expressed dissatisfaction over Canada’s unwillingness to meet mutual defense spending targets and pressed Ottawa to contribute to security spending in the Arctic, where shared adversaries Russia and China are bolstering military capabilities.

“Widespread defense shortfalls hinder Canadian capabilities… while straining partner relationships and alliance contributions,” the document, one of a trove of sensitive Pentagon intelligence products that apparently leaked via an Air National Guard network technician, says.

Canada devoted the equivalent of 1.29% of its gross domestic product (GDP) to NATO, well below the 2% requirement, in 2022, according to a NATO report.

Trudeau privately “told NATO officials that Canada will never reach 2% defense spending,” the document states, noting that Canada’s total defense budget has remained below 1.6% of GDP for more than a quarter century, according to the Post.

The assessment appears to be recent; it cites a Canadian Armed Forces assessment that Canada “could not conduct a major operation while simultaneously maintaining its NATO battle group leadership [in Latvia] and aid to Ukraine,” the Post reported. Without a change in public attitudes, little will change, the document states.

Other European allies, most of which regularly fall below spending targets as well, are unhappy with Canada’s military capacity to contribute to partner defense, according to the document. Germany has concerns about Canada’s ability to continue providing security assistance to Ukraine while meeting NATO commitments.

Canada has provided more than $1 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the war began in February 2022, including funds for eight German-made Leopard II main battle tanks, according to the Post. The Canadian military has also trained about 36,000 Ukrainian troops since 2014, when Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula and sparked concern across Europe of Russian aggression.

https://i.imgur.com/VYtnoEI.png

The U.S. and Canada also cooperate through the North American Aerospance Defense Command (NORAD), a unique joint military command tasked with early warning and missile defense for the North American continent.

However, Canada’s military lacks “significant Arctic capabilities, and modernization plans have not materialized despite multiple public statements,” according to a NORAD assessment transcribed in the document.

“Canada is much more than an exemplary neighbor; it is a reliable friend and a steadfast ally,” a Pentagon spokesman told the Post on condition of anonymity. “For more than a century, the United States and Canada have stood shoulder to shoulder protecting our homelands, building a secure and prosperous North America, upholding democracy and defending freedom around the world.”

President Joe Biden brought up the issue of defense spending with Trudeu during a state visit in March.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-20-2023, 07:01 PM
He is a trash person

Teh One Who Knocks
04-20-2023, 07:11 PM
Why spend the money and live up to your commitments when he knows that the US military will take care of any threat posed to North America?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-20-2023, 07:25 PM
Yep

Godfather
04-21-2023, 06:16 AM
Such a joke. We need the Tory's to win the next election, but even then it's a bigger issue than just the next PM will be able to solve at this point, I'm afraid.

Our military is completely broken, leadership is marred in controversies, recruitment is terrible, morale among enlisted is horrific and they're miserable from folks I know and what I read online. Maybe most concerning of all is that our procurement processes are a disaster - it takes a decade to buy shit even when the budget is there. Just look at how long we've been farting around deciding on a few dozen F-35's. Seriously go look at the subreddit for the Canadian forces and look at how jaded and miserable our military is, it's shocking.

I genuinely hope the US and NATO apply some real pressure on Canada to step up to its commitments or else set out some real consequences.... Hold our feet over the coals somehow.

lost in melb.
04-21-2023, 09:46 AM
It's hard to understand what the philosophy is behind this attitude. Are they hoping that by being nice China, Russia etc. won't bend Canada over the handrail?

Godfather
04-22-2023, 03:34 AM
It's hard to understand what the philosophy is behind this attitude. Are they hoping that by being nice China, Russia etc. won't bend Canada over the handrail?

Honestly I don't think people are just hoping nothing happens it's a step further - they're sincerely unconcerned. Talk to a lot of Canadians and they don't really see another major war as a genuine possibility in their lifetimes, they think it's all sabre rattling nonsense that won't really threaten us - if they even worry about it at all. It's not just the 'left' either, my parents are lifelong Conservative voters but they spend little to no time thinking military is a relevant political topic. Even your Trucker Convoy crazy uncle doesn't have that topic on their agenda :lol: I hear almost nobody up here saying we need to overhaul our military and spend more on it, I'd look like a yahoo bringing it up with friends.

Personally I think that's all wildly overoptimistic.

lost in melb.
04-22-2023, 11:30 AM
Honestly I don't think people are just hoping nothing happens it's a step further - they're sincerely unconcerned. Talk to a lot of Canadians and they don't really see another major war as a genuine possibility in their lifetimes, they think it's all sabre rattling nonsense that won't really threaten us - if they even worry about it at all. It's not just the 'left' either, my parents are lifelong Conservative voters but they spend little to no time thinking military is a relevant political topic. Even your Trucker Convoy crazy uncle doesn't have that topic on their agenda :lol: I hear almost nobody up here saying we need to overhaul our military and spend more on it, I'd look like a yahoo bringing it up with friends.

Personally I think that's all wildly overoptimistic.

The irony is Canada probably doesn't need to worry because the US is strong. NATO has really upped the ante as well. More have joined and money is flowing in.

This is a terrible thing to say and don't take it personally but it feels a bit like letting your friends down for the simple reason that things are pretty cozy for you wedged up near the Arctic.

Godfather
04-22-2023, 03:16 PM
The irony is Canada probably doesn't need to worry because the US is strong. NATO has really upped the ante as well. More have joined and money is flowing in.

This is a terrible thing to say and don't take it personally but it feels a bit like letting your friends down for the simple reason that things are pretty cozy for you wedged up near the Arctic.

Oh no I don't take it personally, I think it's brutal.

We're not the only ones though... I think NATO needs to step up pressure on a number of members. Hungary has no military assets of any relevance but causes problems for NATO at every turn. Turkey is strategically important but it's hardly even a democracy anymore and their foreign policy is real sketchy. They should both probably be kicked out entirely if they can't be pressured to turn around. Meanwhile Ukraine is democratic and fully pro Western and has a now incredibly powerful military, so they should probably be let into NATO. We deserve heat for our dogshit military but I do think NATO has some even bigger problems, not to deflect the very real issue.

lost in melb.
04-22-2023, 03:48 PM

We're not the only ones though... I think NATO needs to step up pressure on a number of members. Hungary has no military assets of any relevance but causes problems for NATO at every turn. Turkey is strategically important but it's hardly even a democracy anymore and their foreign policy is real sketchy. They should both probably be kicked out entirely if they can't be pressured to turn around. Meanwhile Ukraine is democratic and fully pro Western and has a now incredibly powerful military, so they should probably be let into NATO. We deserve heat for our dogshit military but I do think NATO has some even bigger problems, not to deflect the very real issue.

Ha. Hungry and Turkey are both very interesting cases. I will confess that this is an uninformed opinion in that I haven't researched properly but I'm betting that NATO's approach here is keeping potential enemies close. Hungry is virtually a dictatorship, and frankly, if you ask my opinion Turkey should not even be in the European union. So it is only the strategic importance here.

You're probably right that it would be the principled thing to do to kick them out, but it would be an enormous amount of work to deal with the repercussions. Should Russia fall though, look out...

PorkChopSandwiches
04-24-2023, 04:24 PM

Remember when we had that one president that started making everyone pay their fair share instead of US taxpayers covering everybody..... that was pretty cool