PDA

View Full Version : Riverland teen's first aid training saves teacher from Eastern Brown snake bite

lost in melb.
04-21-2023, 04:20 AM
ABC Riverland / By Timu King and Sophie Holder
Posted 4h ago4 hours ago
A smiling teen with brown hair tied back, wears a checked top, blue jeans. Stands on grass in front of shed.
Sophie Robertson used a spirit level for a splint to treat her teacher's snake bite.(ABC Riverland: Timu King)
Share this article

When a brown snake bit a teacher outside of hours, 13-year-old Riverland student Sophie Robertson acted beyond her years and stepped in to help.

https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/f61beba8fe3746cb88039bd6e9eb0021?impolicy=wcms_cro p_resize&cropH=1296&cropW=2304&xPos=0&yPos=216&width=862&height=485

An inter-school rowing exercise was wrapping up, with students bringing up boats from the nearby ramp when the teacher announced the bite.

"She was very calm about it," Sophie said.

"It was almost a polite announcement: 'Excuse me. I was just bitten by a snake."

"Once she said that I ran into the rowing shed to find the first aid kit and something to make a splint with."

https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/0080fdf8bb3bc3f875c1ab8cef6cb4dd?impolicy=wcms_cro p_resize&cropH=602&cropW=903&xPos=170&yPos=458&width=862&height=575

A close-up of an Eastern brown snake on dry straw. Bush in background.

Eastern Brown snakes are the second most venomous snake in the world.(Supplied: Chris Hay)
Sophie set to immobilise the joint using a spirit level — a device used to indicate if the surface level is straight.

"My family lives on a farm, and my dad taught me from a very young age what to do in case it happened to one of us," she said.

"To be honest, I didn't really think about it in the moment. All I could think about was trying to get the job done and making sure it was done well."

Despite the unusual choice of materials, the lessons from her father held true.

https://live-production.wcms.abc-cdn.net.au/def906dbc576a7a8157041e9e650f928?impolicy=wcms_cro p_resize&cropH=1851&cropW=2776&xPos=0&yPos=116&width=862&height=575
Essential skills

St John Ambulance SA's Helen Kubenk runs a first aid in primary schools program and said it was vital for emergency treatment to be applied as soon as possible.

"It's absolutely essential for bites to be treated quickly," she said.

Mrs Kubenk commended Sophie on her composure under pressure.

"I loved that Sophie took charge of the situation and made sure she was in control, which is very impressive for someone her age," she said.

"One of the things we get feedback on from schools where they have had a student go through our program [is that] teaching people when they are young does work."

A green first aid kit sits in front of a green shed while sitting on green grass.
Helen Kubenk says snake bites should be treated immediately.(ABC Riverland: Sophie Holder)
St Joseph's School principal Don DePalmer said he hoped the event would remind local schools of the importance of first aid training.

"When I visited my staff member, the doctors told me Sophie's quick thinking and first response time saved her a lot of pain and anxiety," he said.

"This also speaks to the need and benefit to having more people trained in first aid and able to provide the support Miss Robertson gave.

"We're certainly going to be doing a lot more [first aid training] as we've seen a lot more snakes, and I think we need to be very responsive as it's one of the dangers when you're living in the Riverland."

Teh One Who Knocks
04-21-2023, 01:59 PM
:tup: