PDA

View Full Version : TikToker left in tears after strangers refused her offer to pay for their groceries

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2023, 12:10 PM
By Richard Pollina - The New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/4mQYwD2.png

Clout and charity didn’t mix well for this TikToker.

A Tiktoker was brought to tears after she went to a grocery store to pay for a stranger’s items but was refused by every person she asked.

Amelia Goldsmith went to a Sainsbury store in London intending to pay for a shopper’s cart on Wednesday to “cheer someone up during the mid-week slump.”

“I just hope they don’t look at me thinking I’m some weirdo,” Goldsmith said in the video that’s been viewed nearly 800 thousand times on TikTok.

Once inside the store, the nervous TikToker approached multiple patrons with a happy and welcoming demeanor — only to have her offer rejected by every person she asked.

Goldsmith first approached a man placing his items on the checkout conveyor and told him she wished to pay for all his items.

“Why,” the man she described as “angry,” asked, quickly refusing the offer once she explained herself.

Another woman shopper approached did not hesitate to turn down Goldsmith’s offer, with a caption on the video revealing she was beginning to feel “embarrassed and judged” following the second attempt.

A final woman she asked also refused the gesture, telling the TikToker, “There are a lot more deserving people in the world” that could use the charity she’s offering.

“I was expecting the first person to be like, overjoyed and grateful and happy for me to pay for their shopping, but obviously that didn’t go down well,” she said in the video about the stressful encounters.

Not wanting to leave without at least one act of kindness, Goldsmith bought some pasta and jarred sauce from the store and put them in the shop’s food bank — with a stranger saying, “God bless you” as she placed the items in the bin.

“I’m just really overwhelmed right now, I don’t know what’s going on,” the TikToker said teary-eyed after facing the mounts of rejection, revealing she’s still happy she could donate some food for those who need it.

In the comment section, many criticized Goldsmith for filming and the area she chose to make her offering.

“I feel that sharing your good deeds online is more about serving your ego than others. Good on you for donating to the food bank,” one commenter wrote.

https://i.imgur.com/jJbB95N.png

“It probably didn’t work because of the type of clientele that particular area has. People in my area would be extremely grateful for this,” another user explained in the comments.

“It’s the filming !!! You all got to stop it! Go help a homeless shelter,” another wrote.

Though the Tiktoker faced harsh criticism, others praised the woman for her effort.

“You’re the purest sweetest person for this I’m so sorry you got the reactions you did. But don’t ever let that knock you back,” said one user.

“bless you,” another wrote.

“No one can take away the intentions that you have! And the fact that you continued to ask people when you felt awkward – be proud gal xx,” one user wrote, hyping up Goldsmith’s attempt at the charity.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-25-2023, 03:51 PM
dumbbitchjuice

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2023, 03:54 PM
Did she ever think that people are sick of "influencers" filming all this shit just to gain internet clout? If you want to help people, fucking just do it. You don't need to film it or announce it or anything like that, you just fucking do it. If you do anything where you are broadcasting to people "how good a person you are", you aren't. You're a piece of shit using people to try and make yourself internet famous.

Pony
04-25-2023, 08:35 PM
Did she ever think that people are sick of "influencers" filming all this shit just to gain internet clout? If you want to help people, fucking just do it. You don't need to film it or announce it or anything like that, you just fucking do it. If you do anything where you are broadcasting to people "how good a person you are", you aren't. You're a piece of shit using people to try and make yourself internet famous.

Depending on how many followers she has, she could make a lot of money for this "post". Doesn't really seem as generous when you spend $50 to make hundreds or thousands.

Godfather
04-26-2023, 02:32 AM
Yup. These fucking people think they're the main characters. It's purely selfish, whether you're paying for groceries or holding up an intersection with a dumb dance, you're treating the rest of the world like they're accessories. Absolute trash.

Hilarious how she turns on the water works... as if you weren't already acting like a little entitled bitch you go and make it even more blatantly obvious how much it's the 'you' show.

lost in melb.
04-26-2023, 07:28 AM
A dumb kid learning embarrassingly late about how the world actually works