PDA

View Full Version : Plus-size influencer Jae-lynn Chaney rips plane seat policies after demanding other flyers pay for extra seat

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2023, 12:38 PM
By Isabel Keane - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/ciwBdR4.jpg
Jae-lynn Chaney has doubled down on her claims that US airlines discriminate against plus-sized passengers

A plus-size travel influencer is demanding that airlines change their “discriminatory” policies that make larger flyers pay “twice for the same experience” — admitting that making such a change may make fares for everyone more expensive.

Jae-lynn Chaney, who made headlines in April after starting the Change.org petition “Demand for the FAA to Protect Plus-Sized Customers,” doubled down on being discriminated against while flying due to her size.

“People with smaller bodies get to pay one fare to get to their destination,” Chaney, who has to buy an extra seat while flying, told CNN Travel.

“We have to pay two fares, even though we’re getting the same experience. If anything, our experiences are a little bit more challenging.”

While Chaney has held firm in her demands, in April she admitted that if her petition’s demands were met, ticket prices for all customers would likely increase due to demand.

“It is difficult to provide a one-size-fits-all answer to the question of who will pay for the policies mentioned in the petition,” she told Fox News after her petition gained traction.

“However, what is clear is that the mistreatment and discrimination of plus-size travelers is unacceptable and must be addressed.”

She added, “Implementing policies to accommodate plus-size passengers may come with associated costs, but these costs must be weighed against the benefits of creating a more welcoming and inclusive travel experience.”

https://i.imgur.com/0eC3Ey2.png

In her petition, Chaney urged the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to mandate all airlines create a comprehensive customer-of-size policy that “prioritizes the comfort and well-being of all passengers.”

Chaney, as well as other plus-size travelers and travel experts, are calling on airlines in the US to standardize their policies.

Canadian air passenger rights advocate Gabor Lukacs told CNN he considers the practice of charging larger passengers for two seats a human rights issue.

https://i.imgur.com/J4p5kUN.jpg
Other plus-sized influencers have taken to social media to share their own experiences traveling.

“Being a large-size person is not a choice, as many people mistakenly believe,” Lukacs said.

“There is, unfortunately, a lot of negative attention and prejudice against plus-size people.”

Lukacs noted, “It’s not as if someone is getting up in the morning and making a decision that they’re going to be a large person. So through that lens of human rights, I don’t see any justification for charging these people a double fare.”

https://i.imgur.com/kjdGgPE.jpg
Another plus-sized content creator shared that she received many negative comments after sharing
her experiences traveling while being plus-sized.

He went on to say that airlines don’t provide discounts to smaller-sized passengers or children.

Aside from the financial burden of purchasing two seats, Chaney says there are many other difficulties she faces as a plus-size traveler, especially when faced with hostile passengers or flight attendants.

“The stereotypes that surround plus-size travelers, and the hostility towards us when we’re traveling by plane is honestly horrendous,” Chaney said, noting that she receives similar hostility when sharing her experiences online.

Another plus-size travel expert and content creator Kristy Leanne, who recently went viral after posting a video about the problems she and other plus-size people face on planes, has also received a barrage of negative comments for sharing her experiences.

“I was sharing my experience with airlines and showing other plus-size travelers what to expect, so I didn’t expect so many people to think that the points I made were complaints of any kind,” Leanne told CNN.

“I thought I would get one or two negative comments as I always do with videos talking about being plus-size, but not to the extent that I did.”

A major concern for many plus-size travelers is shrinking seat sizes. Over the last two decades, the average width of an airplane seat has shrunk from 18.5 inches to 17 inches, even as 38% of the world’s population is either overweight or obese, according to the World Obesity Federation.

According to Lukacs, smaller seat sizes should concern all travelers, not just those who are plus-sized.

“It is a concern, because being crammed in a very small seat could, apart from your comfort, also affect your health, in terms of risks of deep vein thrombosis,” he said.

“I’m not sure what the science is on that today, but I could see that being a problem. And also, we’re not cattle.”

Lukacs added: “We do expect, when we board a plane, to be treated with some reasonable level of respect.”

While Chaney and other advocate for the FAA to make a change, outside of the US, including in Australia and Canada, there are laws preventing passengers from being charged different amounts based on their body sizes for domestic flights.

DemonGeminiX
06-14-2023, 03:13 PM
It's not discrimination, it's economics. They get more money with the smaller aisles, because it allows for more seats for more paying customers. It's not their fault that you're obese, and that's a condition that you probably could reverse.

PorkChopSandwiches
06-14-2023, 03:34 PM
What a fucking clown

Teh One Who Knocks
06-14-2023, 04:13 PM
It's not discrimination, it's economics. They get more money with the smaller aisles, because it allows for more seats for more paying customers. It's not their fault that you're obese, and that's a condition that you probably could reverse.

You need to pay extra so she can have two seats :nono:

lost in melb.
06-15-2023, 02:23 AM

Stop being sensible :hand:

lost in melb.
06-15-2023, 02:24 AM
What a fucking clown

Clowns are more entertaining :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
06-15-2023, 03:35 PM
Clowns are more entertaining :nono:

And you can fit like 25 of them in a car

Teh One Who Knocks
06-15-2023, 04:13 PM
And you can fit like 25 of them in a car