PDA

View Full Version : Teen who doused dad with drain cleaner smiles after being sprung from jail

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2023, 01:28 PM
By Yaron Steinbuch - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/rBZJsR9.png

A Michigan teen who doused her sleeping father with a chemical drain cleaner because he was too drunk to drive her to a hair appointment grinned before the cameras when she was sprung from prison after just 506 days.

Megan Imirowicz, 19, faced a possible life sentence when she was found guilty in June of tossing lye powder on her dad Konrad Imirowicz, 64, while he was sleeping, The Oakland Press reported.

The attack caused extensive chemical burns which required his feet and part of his leg to be amputated, as well as infections and kidney failure.

He was unable to recover from the severe injuries and died after five months in the hospital, on March 6, 2022.

Imirowicz denied throwing lye at her dad and claimed she had thrown some bread at him to wake him up.

Prosecutors said she attacked him because he was drunk and was unable to take her to a hair salon before her 18th birthday party, according to the outlet.

https://i.imgur.com/hNKTrGa.png

Imirowicz was sentenced Tuesday to one year in jail, with credit for time served — meaning she walked free after the hearing. The teen was also given five years probation for the crime.

The young woman, smiling at the cameras, admitted she was shocked when she heard the slap-on-the-wrist sentence from Oakland County Judge Victoria Valentine, Court TV reported.

“I was praying for a miracle today and that’s what I got,” Imirowicz said.

“I’m really happy I get to go home with my family. I’m scared to feel anything about my dad right now. I miss him a lot. I’m not ready.”

After being greeted by her sister Morgan and brother Ian, who had pleaded for leniency, Imirowicz headed to a local McDonald’s, where she ordered Chicken McNuggets and French fries, according to the outlet.

Earlier, Imirowicz made a tearful plea in front of the judge as she read from a statement.

“Nineteen years ago, I was placed into the arms of the first man to ever love me, the man I’m lucky enough to call my dad. Growing up he became so much more, he was a storyteller, a tooth fairy, a friend and hero, through it all the one thing never changed, was that he was mine,” Groveland Township woman sobbed.

“One of the biggest things overlooked in this case is that me and my siblings lost my dad too. That loss has severely broken us,” she added. “The prosecution has tried to make me look like a monster but that’s not me and never was.”

Imirowicz also quoted the Bible.

https://i.imgur.com/2RxtmXk.png

“The evil are ensnared by the transgressions of their lips, but the righteous escape from trouble,” she said, quoting Proverbs 12:13, Law and Crime reported.

Her mother Julie Conrad also asked the judge to go easy on Imirowicz.

“We were a broken family before this began and now, we are even more broken, while her (Megan) age and her body is 19 years old. Her maturity and emotional level are not that of an adult,” she said.

Chief Assistant Prosecutor David Williams told The Oakland Press that “this was not the sentence we advocated for, however, the judge ultimately decides what sentence will be imposed.”

Megan was the second child the couple had adopted and was brought home to her older brother, Austin, when she was just a few days old.

PorkChopSandwiches
07-27-2023, 02:35 PM
Amazing

lost in melb.
07-27-2023, 02:51 PM
nowhere in the articles does it say what she was actually charged with :?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2023, 02:57 PM
nowhere in the articles does it say what she was actually charged with :?

Just guessing from this line:

Megan Imirowicz, 19, faced a possible life sentence when she was found guilty in June of tossing lye powder on her dad Konrad Imirowicz, 64, while he was sleeping, The Oakland Press reported.

I would guess maybe attempted murder?

Teh One Who Knocks
07-27-2023, 02:58 PM
From another article:

PONTIAC, Mich. – A young woman convicted of killing her father by burning him with a chemical drain cleaner was given a light sentence and released after more than a year in a suburban Detroit jail.

Megan Imirowicz, 19, of Groveland Township was found guilty of use of harmful devices/irritants causing death during a four-day trial in June.

Oakland County Judge Victoria Valentine sentenced Imirowicz to a year in jail Tuesday in addition to five years of probation and other conditions. She was released because the length of her custody before and after the trial — 506 days — had already exceeded the sentence, The Oakland Press reported.

“This was not the sentence we advocated for. However the judge ultimately decides what sentence will be imposed," David Williams, chief assistant prosecutor, told the newspaper.

Imirowicz was arrested after throwing lye, a chemical drain cleaner, on Konrad Imirowicz, 64, while he was sleeping in 2021. He survived for five months before dying in March 2022.

Megan Imirowicz was upset with her father because he was drunk and unable to drive her to a hair appointment before an 18th birthday party, according to prosecutors.

“The prosecution has tried to make me look like a monster but that's not me and never was,” Imirowicz told the judge, saying her father was her “hero” and “best friend.”

“One of the biggest things overlooked in this case is that me and my siblings lost my dad, too. ... I am the best parts of him. I’m his daughter. But without him I don’t know who I am any more,” she told the judge.

lost in melb.
07-28-2023, 01:33 AM
Just guessing from this line:

I would guess maybe attempted murder?

I think the devil is in that detail. Yes, you would THINK it should be attempted murder, but I am betting they argued she was too dumb and thought it was equivalent of vinegar or something...