PDA

View Full Version : Subway agrees to $9.6B sale to Dunkin’ owner Roark Capital: report

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2023, 04:04 PM
By Ariel Zilber and Josh Kosman - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/kRXpHVI.png

Subway on Thursday ended its drawn-out auction to sell the family-owned sandwich chain by agreeing to a a $9.6 billion deal with the private equity firm that owns Dunkin’ Brands.

The sale to Roark Capital, which also backs several other fast-food chains through its restaurant conglomerate Inspire Brands, brings to close an era during which Subway was owned by its two founding families for more than 50 years.

“The transaction is a major milestone in Subway’s multi-year transformation journey, combining Subway’s global presence and brand strength with Roark’s deep expertise in restaurant and franchise business models,” Subway said in a statement.

The Atlanta-based private equity firm, which has $37 billion in assets under management, is also an investor in Auntie Anne’s, Baskin Robbins, Buffalo Wild Wings, Sonic Drive-In, and Arby’s.

In 2020, Inspire Brands paid $8.8 billion for Dunkin’ Brands Group.

Roark was the highest bidder in the more than year-long auction for Subway, which has about 37,000 restaurants in more than 100 countries.

However, the chain has been losing market share in the US to rivals like Jersey Mike’s.

The firm, which is expected to focus on expanding Subway’s international footprint, could combine Subway and Dunkin’ in the same locations to better attract investors, restaurant consultant John Gordon said.

Subway has recently signed up some international deals while Dunkin’ has struggled to gain a foothold abroad because it needs separate bakeries to make doughnuts and does not have a large enough number of restaurants to justify the investment, Gordon said.

Ed Shanahan, executive director of the Dunkin’ Donuts Independent Franchisee Association (DDIFO), told The Post he did not expect Roark to merge Dunkin’ and Subway in the US because Dunkin’ is a much stronger and more profitable brand.

“Don’t break what works,” Shanahan said.

Subway’s chief executive John Chidsey, meanwhile, praised the deal on Thursday.

https://i.imgur.com/tvqr9us.png

“This transaction reflects Subway’s long-term growth potential, and the substantial value of our brand and our franchisees around the world,” Chidsey said.

“Subway has a bright future with Roark, and we are committed to continuing to focus on a win-win-win approach for our franchisees, our guests and our employees.”

Roark’s acquisition comes after reports earlier this month that private equity firms such as TDR Capital and Sycamore Partners were negotiating a possible partnership which would see them team up to make a joint bid for Subway.

Subway was founded in 1965 by 17-year-old Fred DeLuca and family friend Peter Buck — opening their first shop, Pete’s Super Submarines, in Bridgeport, Conn.

Chidsey told The Wall Street Journal that Subway’s management structure will remain in place after the deal is consummated.

He said that Subway is looking to expand internationally by adding around 23,000 restaurants overseas within the next few years.

“They understand our business,” Chidsey told The Journal.

“From the family’s perspective, it was a compelling offer that I think works for everybody.”

Chidsey told The Journal that Subway will be its own entity within Roark’s investment portfolio — meaning there are no plans to combine the chain with any of the other restaurant holdings.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2023, 05:36 PM
I dont know how they think they will turn it around with out making better food, that place is garbage now which is why they have been closing stores. Plus every other chain sandwich shop is way better

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why so many people still love Subway. It hasn't been good in more than 10 years minimum. And you're right, every other sandwich place is better. I'd much rather get Firehouse over Subway.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-24-2023, 08:09 PM
Yeah, Firehouse, Jimmy Johns, Jersey Mikes, IDK if Lee's is everywhere. I would get a sandwich at my local donut shop before subway

lost in melb.
08-28-2023, 12:35 PM
Subway in Australia is excellent. No competitors at that price.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2023, 01:32 PM
I'm guessing you haven't eaten at a Subway here in the US then?

lost in melb.
08-28-2023, 04:52 PM
I'm guessing you haven't eaten at a Subway here in the US then?

I confess I haven't. You have many options for a decent sandwich, never needed too....