PDA

View Full Version : Canadian foreign affairs minister says Canada is preparing a 'game plan' in case of a far-right shift in US

Teh One Who Knocks
08-28-2023, 11:50 AM
By Alexander Hall | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/X2FGKP6.png

Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly reportedly stated in an interview that Canada has been working on a "game plan" for the outcome of America's upcoming presidential election.

Joly was first elected to represent the Ahuntsic-Cartierville region of Canada in the House of Commons in 2015. Since then, she has been risen to become Canada’s foreign affairs minister and been named a young global leader by the World Economic Forum. In late 2022, a piece in Politico speculated that Joly, as a "Trudeau protégé" might "one day have his job."

More recently, Canadian news website National Post was one of multiple outlets that shared reporting about controversial statements she made during a recent interview.

"Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly says Canada has been considering a ‘game plan’ for how it would respond if the United States takes a far-right, authoritarian shift after next year’s presidential elections," Dylan Robertson wrote in a piece shared by National Post. "’We are certainly working on scenarios,’ Joly said in French during an interview with a Montreal radio station Wednesday."

She reportedly added, "I will work with my colleagues and with the mayors, the provincial premiers, with the business community, with the unions, with everyone in the country, so that we are ready regardless of the election outcome."

Robertson also wrote that "Joly drew an analogy to her government’s experience working with the administration of former U.S. President Donald Trump, which sought to limit long-established trade in crucial sectors."

During the same interview, she declared that "the other aspect of the question is more about knowing how we as a democracy are able to thwart the growth of the far right in our country, because it’s happening in the United States, it’s happening in Europe."

https://i.imgur.com/4y8pOnd.png

She went on to add, "So one can’t be naïve here, Patrick; it’s happening right now with us, there is, we know that there is certainly a radicalization of the [Canadian] Conservative Party."

Joly has condemned political opposition at home and abroad before, such as when she appeared to blame American conservatives for interfering in Canadian politics by supporting truckers in the Freedom Convoy as they protested against vaccine mandates.

"My biggest concern as the foreign minister at this point is the foreign interference that is happening in the convoy we're seeing in Canada right now," she said in February 2022. "The disinformation campaign, where it comes from. The financing of it, where it comes from."

lost in melb.
08-28-2023, 12:31 PM
Difficult when you're bordering a potential Nazi regime :rolleyes:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-28-2023, 04:40 PM
named a young global leader by the World Economic Forum.

This is everything you need to know, she is shit

Godfather
08-30-2023, 03:40 AM
She's a dummy, and this is incredibly embarrassing. Should be career ending.

Countries should plan for lots of eventualities, and one which is incredibly obvious is that Canada should consider what we'd do if the US actually did pull out of NATO, given we're such a shitty ally militarily already, and overly reliant on US protection. We also export nearly 75% and import almost 50% to/from the US, and so yes we should also have contingencies in place if the US wouldn't or couldn't offer us favorable trading terms and be BFF's anymore. That just seems like what a rationale government would talk about behind closed doors.... But you don't say that shit out loud, and you certainly don't politicize it (clearly all for her own clout). What a loser.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2023, 12:56 PM
She's a dummy, and this is incredibly embarrassing. Should be career ending.

Countries should plan for lots of eventualities, and one which is incredibly obvious is that Canada should consider what we'd do if the US actually did pull out of NATO, given we're such a shitty ally militarily already, and overly reliant on US protection. We also export nearly 75% and import almost 50% to/from the US, and so yes we should also have contingencies in place if the US wouldn't or couldn't offer us favorable trading terms and be BFF's anymore. That just seems like what a rationale government would talk about behind closed doors.... But you don't say that shit out loud, and you certainly don't politicize it (clearly all for her own clout). What a loser.

Godfather I honestly doubt, regardless of whomever is elected POTUS, either next or in the foreseeable future, that anything major would change between the US and Canada. Even if Canada doesn't spend enough towards their own defense, there is no way that the US would ever turn their back on Canada if the shit was to hit the fan, it's in our own best interests to keep Canada safe as well as the US. Same would go towards Mexico I would think if there was any outside threat posed to any of the 3 North American countries. And as far as trade, I doubt anything would really change drastically on that front either. Sure, the tariffs that Trump put in place against Canada and Mexico on certain products were stupid, I doubt anything like that would happen again from either side of the aisle here in the States.

Canada and the US are so very lucky geographically that there is so much trust and cooperation between our two nations and at the end of the day, we would both look out for each other unconditionally.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-30-2023, 03:40 PM
agreed

Godfather
09-01-2023, 03:15 AM
Godfather I honestly doubt, regardless of whomever is elected POTUS, either next or in the foreseeable future, that anything major would change between the US and Canada. Even if Canada doesn't spend enough towards their own defense, there is no way that the US would ever turn their back on Canada if the shit was to hit the fan, it's in our own best interests to keep Canada safe as well as the US. Same would go towards Mexico I would think if there was any outside threat posed to any of the 3 North American countries. And as far as trade, I doubt anything would really change drastically on that front either. Sure, the tariffs that Trump put in place against Canada and Mexico on certain products were stupid, I doubt anything like that would happen again from either side of the aisle here in the States.

Canada and the US are so very lucky geographically that there is so much trust and cooperation between our two nations and at the end of the day, we would both look out for each other unconditionally.

Oh I fully do too, don't get me wrong! I'd personally bet my life's worth that North America with the US at the helm will continue to be the dominant super power through this century and beyond with a great alliance.

My only point really was that any good business or government should contingency plan. At work I'm on a committee to plan what happens if, for instance, a tornado wipes out our head office :lol: It's just good governance. So while I don't think the entire premise behind this idiot minister's point is completely wrong, I do think she's a jackass for politicizing and broadcasting it for clout and a cheap headline.