PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico governor shocks with comment about Constitution after issuing temporary gun ban: Not 'absolute'

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2023, 12:22 PM
By Kristine Parks | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/4nxfxTh.png

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham's controversial comments in defense of a temporary gun ban, prompted fierce backlash on social media.

The Democrat issued an emergency public health order on Friday, suspending the right to carry guns in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding Bernalillo County for at least 30 days following the shooting deaths of three children in the area.

Local law enforcement officials expressed concerns that the governor's order violated Second Amendment rights. The governor acknowledged the ban may face legal challenges and addressed these concerns during a press conference.

After a reporter questioned whether Grisham was upholding her oath to the Constitution, she argued no Constitutional rights were fixed, including her oath.

"No constitutional right, in my view, including my oath, is intended to be absolute," she retorted. Grisham cited restrictions on free speech as an example of how rights can be curtailed in emergency situations.

Commentators across X, formerly known as Twitter, angrily responded to the governor's statement, with some calling for her impeachment.
"At risk of stating what should be obvious, deliberately violating the Constitution is next-level illegal. How soon can this person be removed from office?" Elon Musk asked.
"The governor of New Mexico is using a public health order to suspend a right guaranteed by the US Constitution. Yes, a public health order," Ron DeSantis Press Secretary Jeremy Redfern reacted. "Did you think the left was going to stop at just forcing you to wear a mask?"

https://i.imgur.com/EMIpNaq.png

Some commentators doubted the governor's order would withstand legal challenges.

"DC v. Heller and McDonald v. Chicago would disagree," conservative political activist and former Texas congressional candidate Christian Collins wrote.

"The order, in my view, is flagrantly unconstitutional under existing Second Amendment precedent," legal scholar Jonathan Turley wrote.
"It could also be a calculated effort to evade a ruling by making the period of suspension so short that it becomes moot before any final decision is reached by a court," the Fox News contributor added.

"Yea, I doubt a federal judge is going to look kindly at this press conference where Governor Michelle Grisham (D.) openly talks about wanting to arrest licensed gun carriers and her view that her own oath of office is not absolute. This video is wild," commented Stephen Gutowski, founder of The Reload.

https://i.imgur.com/hqGMnyj.png

Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen said that he had concerns about the order but was prepared to cooperate to address gun violence.

"While I understand and appreciate the urgency, the temporary ban challenges the foundation of our Constitution, which I swore an oath to uphold," Allen said. "I am wary of placing my deputies in positions that could lead to civil liability conflicts, as well as the potential risks posed by prohibiting law-abiding citizens from their constitutional right to self-defense."

Violators could face civil penalties and a fine of up to $5,000, Grisham's Press Secretary Caroline Sweeney said.

Licensed security guards and law enforcement are exempt from the ban. It also does not apply on private property, "(such as at a gun range or gun store), provided they transport the firearm in a locked box, use a trigger lock, or some other mechanism that renders the gun incapable of being fired," the governor said.

When reached for comment, Grisham's press secretary Caroline Sweeney provided Fox News Digital the following statement:

"When New Mexicans are afraid to be in crowds, to take their kids to school, to leave a baseball game – when their very right to exist is threatened by the prospect of violence at every turn – something is very wrong," she said. "That is, in fact, where Albuquerque is today, and that represents a real threat to the rights of New Mexicans who live here."

DemonGeminiX
09-11-2023, 12:50 PM
The Constitutionally-protected rights of the citizens are absolute, and are intended to keep tyrants like you from taking too much power, you stupid asshole.

Her ban will fall in court.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-11-2023, 03:28 PM
Wow, bye bitch

Teh One Who Knocks
09-11-2023, 03:33 PM
Even Ted Lieu, a very far left democrat representative from California says she's breaking the law.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-12-2023, 01:50 PM
By Timothy H.J. Nerozzi | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/RQWOS6R.png

Democratic New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham is facing widespread pushback from state law enforcement officials following her attempt to ban concealed and open carry permits.

Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen described Grisham's 30-day "public health order" as "unconstitutional" during a press conference this week despite standing beside the governor during her rollout of the policy.

"It’s unconstitutional, so there’s no way we can enforce that order," the sheriff said in a Monday news conference. "This ban does nothing to curb gun violence."

"We must always remember not only are we protecting the Second Amendment, but at the same time, we have a lot of violence within our community. Let me be clear, I hold my standards high, and I do not or never will hedge on what is right."

Grisham issued an emergency order on Friday suspending the right to carry guns in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding Bernalillo County for at least 30 days following recent instances of gun violence.

The governor said she expects the order to face legal challenges, but she believes she needed to act in response to recent gun-related deaths, such as an 11-year-old boy who was shot and killed outside a minor league baseball stadium earlier this week.

The suspension was classified as an emergency public health order and applies to open and concealed carry in most public places, excluding police and licensed security guards. The restriction is connected to a threshold for violent crime rates met only by the Albuquerque area.

Allen claims he pressured against the public health order, saying "[Grisham] knew we as law enforcement did not agree with the order, and as a result, this was solely her decision."

Grisham fired back at Allen following his press conference, ordering the law enforcement official to "stop being squeamish" about enforcing the order.

https://i.imgur.com/TkKuo4j.png

"I don’t need a lecture on constitutionality from Sheriff Allen: what I need is action," Grisham said in a statement responding to Allen. "What we need is for leaders to stand up for the victims of violent crime. We need law enforcement, district attorneys, public officials, school leaders and state agencies to use every single tool at their disposal to stop this violence. Period."

She continued, "We’ve given you the tools, Sheriff Allen — now stop being squeamish about using them. I will not back down from doing what’s right and I will always put the safety of the people of New Mexico first."

Violators could face civil penalties and a fine of up to $5,000, according to the governor's spokeswoman Caroline Sweeney. The governor said state police are responsible for enforcing the order, but she acknowledged not all law enforcement officials – including the district attorney for the Albuquerque area – agree with it.

Lujan Grisham cited several recent shootings in Albuquerque when issuing the order, including the Wednesday shooting outside the Albuquerque Isotopes' field that left 11-year-old Froyland Villegas dead and a woman critically wounded. The two were inside a vehicle that was sprayed with bullets as people were leaving the game.

On Aug. 13, 5-year-old Galilea Samaniego was shot and killed as she slept when four teens entered a mobile home community in two stolen vehicles and opened fire on the home. The girl was shot in the head and died from her injuries at a hospital.

Another deadly shooting took place in August in Taos County when a 14-year-old boy used his father's gun to shoot and kill his friend, 13-year-old Amber Archuleta, while they were at the boy's home.

lost in melb.
09-12-2023, 02:49 PM
:popcorn:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-12-2023, 04:47 PM
By Hank Berrien - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/nCw47Oal.jpg

After a New Mexico sheriff stated that his office would not enforce a segment of the Democratic governor’s order suspending the right to carry open and concealed guns publicly — echoing the state’s attorney general, who called the move unconstitutional — the governor mocked the sheriff, declaring “It’s not for police to tell me what’s constitutional or not.”

Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen stated, “In reference to concealed carry and open carry, the Bernalillo County Sheriff’s Office will not enforce this segment of the order. While I understand the urgency, the temporary ban challenges the foundations of our Constitution. But most importantly, it is unconstitutional.”

Democratic Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham, interviewed by CNN’s Poppy Harlow, snapped, “It’s not for police to tell me what’s constitutional or not. They haven’t supported one, not one gun violence effort in the State of New Mexico including domestic violence protections, universal background checks.”

“You’re an attorney,” Harlow noted. “Do you think you’re on solid constitutional ground here?”

“Well, we’re going to see,” Grisham declared. “I mean, look, I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think I had the right. I have the right.”

“But where is the right? Where is the right?” Harlow pressed.

“In the State of New Mexico, public — it’s a suspension. It’s not a ban. And we’ll see what all of these court actions do,” Grisham replied.

Then she tried to compare gun rights to abortion: “I got a Supreme Court that says my personal bodily autonomy can be restricted. And yet, NRA and other issues on the Second Amendment keep getting broadened.”

“The Supreme Court last year totally changed what we’re allowed to do, what you’re allowed to do,” Harlow stated. “And they say, unless you can base it in the history and tradition, you don’t have grounds to do something like this. The New Mexico constitution, I looked last night, Article 2, Section 6, says this, ‘No law shall abridge the right of citizens to keep and bear arms for security and defense. No municipality or county shall regulate in any way any incident the right to keep and bear arms.’ Are you not in violation of both the U.S. Constitution and your state’s constitution?”

“I don’t believe that we are,” Grisham sniffed. “And if that narrow reading of the constitution, which has been tested in the state, we wouldn’t have universal background checks, we wouldn’t have a waiting period, we wouldn’t have a red flag law, we wouldn’t have prohibitions for straw purchases. None of those would have been deemed constitutional. And today all of them are.”

“They were before the Supreme Court ruled that,” Harlow pointed out.

“But they haven’t been tested again,” Grisham argued.

“Are you going to keep doing this 30 days, take it up to the Supreme Court, or is this about a statement right now?” Harlow asked.

“Listen, I can make any number of statements and already have,” Grisham boasted.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2023, 02:28 PM
By Tim Pearce - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/b5b8FF2l.jpg

New Mexico Attorney General Raul Torrez will not defend Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s controversial gun order, which is facing multiple lawsuits, in court.

Torrez told the governor in a letter Tuesday that he believed the emergency order, which temporarily bans people from carrying firearms in public spaces across Bernalillo County, violated the state and federal constitutions. Because of that, he said his office would not defend the governor against several legal challenges.

“I am writing to inform you that my office will not defend your administration in the above referenced cases challenging” Lujan Grisham’s order, Torrez wrote.

“Though I recognize my statutory obligation as New Mexico’s chief legal officer to defend state officials when they are sued in their official capacity, my duty to uphold and defend the constitutional rights of every citizen takes precedence,” his letter continued. “Simply put, I do not believe that the Emergency Order will have any meaningful impact on public safety but, more importantly, I do not believe it passes constitutional muster.”

Lujan Grisham signed an executive order on Friday that banned open and concealed carrying firearms in Albuquerque and the rest of the surrounding county. The governor enacted the order — to remain in place for 30 days — after a spate of shootings that killed several children.

“The tragic deaths of 5-year-old Galilea Samaniego in a recent drive-by shooting and 11-year-old Froylan Villegas in a road rage incident should serve as a wakeup call to everyone,” Torrez wrote. “I encourage you to engage in a more thoughtful and deliberative process with members of the New Mexico Legislature rather than taking unilateral action that infringes on the constitutional rights of law-abiding citizens while having little if any discernible impact on the underlying dynamics driving gun violence in our community.”
Torrez, a Democrat, joins a handful of other officials in refusing to enforce or defend the order. Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller, also a Democrat, said in a statement to social media that the city’s police force would not be responsible for enforcing the governor’s order. Bernalillo County Sheriff John Allen announced on Monday that he would not enforce the order either, calling it unconstitutional.

Lujan Grisham responded to Allen in a statement to the NM Political Report, saying that her administration had “given you the tools, Sheriff Allen — now stop being squeamish about using them. I will not back down from doing what’s right and I will always put the safety of the people of New Mexico first.”

Lujan Grisham said in an interview on CNN: “It’s not for police to tell me what’s constitutional or not. They haven’t supported one, not one gun violence effort in the State of New Mexico including domestic violence protections, universal background checks.”

The New Mexico governor has also taken criticism from prominent national progressives over her gun order, such as California Rep. Ted Lieu and gun control activist David Hogg. Each said that the governor’s order violated the U.S. Constitution.

DemonGeminiX
09-14-2023, 12:52 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqaUAQvkyN8