PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules Trump engaged in repeated fraud, effectively deciding central question in $250M civil trial

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2023, 02:03 PM
By Aaron Katersky and Peter Charalambous - ABC News

https://i.imgur.com/iafg5v9.png

Former President Donald Trump submitted "fraudulent valuations" for assets that were then used by himself, his eldest sons and his business to obtain better loan and insurance terms, a judge in New York decided Tuesday before ordering the cancelation of the company's business certificates in New York.

The judge's determination came as he granted partial summary judgment in New York Attorney General Letitia James' multimillion-dollar civil fraud lawsuit.

Judge Arthur Engoron cites "false and misleading square footage" of Trump's Fifth Avenue apartment among other faulty valuations.

The judge immediately canceled all of the defendants' business certificates in New York, and ordered that they must recommend no more than three potential independent receivers to manage the dissolution of the canceled LLCs within 10 days.

The move severely restricts Trump's ability to conduct business in New York going forward.

The judge said Trump and the other defendants have a "propensity to engage in persistent fraud," severely undercutting the defense Trump will offer when the case goes on trial next month.

Engoron wrote in his order that Trump, his adult sons, Eric and Don Jr., and the other defendants fraudulently inflated the value of properties including Trump's Mar-A-Lago estate in Florida and his own triplex apartment in New York City, as well as 40 Wall Street, Trump Park Avenue, multiple golf courses, and an estate in upstate New York.

Eric Trump, who runs the Trump Organization's day-to-day operations, responded on X, previously known as Twitter, saying, "Today, I lost all faith in the New York legal system. Never before have I seen such hatred toward one person by a judge."

"We have run an exceptional company -- never missing a loan payment, making banks hundreds of millions of dollars, developing some of the most iconic assets in the world. Yet today, the persecution of our family continues..." he said.

Donald Trump, also on X, reposted a previous post in which he said, "THE BANKS WERE PAID BACK IN FULL, SOMETIMES EARLY, THERE WERE NO DEFAULTS, THE BANKS MADE MONEY, WERE REPRESENTED BY THE BEST LAW FIRMS, & WERE VERY 'HAPPY.' THERE WERE NO VICTIMS!"

In a statement to ABC News, Trump attorney Alina Habba said they intend to "immediately" appeal the decision, calling the Trump Organization "an American success story."

James, in a statement, said, "Today, a judge ruled in our favor and found that Donald Trump and the Trump Organization engaged in years of financial fraud. We look forward to presenting the rest of our case at trial."

Trial is currently scheduled to begin Oct. 2, although upcoming rulings may alter that schedule. Among other determinations, the trial will decide how much Trump will have to pay in penalties.

In his ruling Tuesday, Engoron said Trump inflated the value of his own Trump Tower residence between $114 million and $207 million -- including claiming the property was triple its actual size in square feet.

"A discrepancy of this order of magnitude, by a real estate developer sizing up his own living space of decades, can only be considered fraud," Engoron said in his order.

Engoron also found that Trump inflated the value of his Mar-a-Lago club by at least 2,300%, claiming the property assessed by the county between $18 million and $27.6 million was actually worth between $426,529,614 and $612,110,496.

In total, Engoron wrote that the New York attorney general "submitted conclusive evidence" that the defendants overvalued their assets between $812 million and $2.2 billion.

In his 35-page order, the judge described the conduct of the defendants in the case as belonging in a "fantasy world," and sharply criticized what he called the "bogus arguments" made by the defense.

"In defendants' world: rent regulated apartments are worth the same as unregulated apartments; restricted land is worth the same as unrestricted land; restrictions can evaporate into thin air; a disclaimer by one party casting responsibility on another party exonerates the other party's lies..." Engoron wrote, citing multiple arguments made by defense to justify the allegedly inflated valuations of Trump's assets. "That is a fantasy world, not the real world."

Engoron also appeared to use the words of former President Trump against him, citing a transcript from a deposition of Trump about the inclusion of so-called "worthless clauses," disclaimers included in financial statements which defense has argued insulate the defendants from liability.

"However, defendants' reliance on these 'worthless' disclaimers is worthless," Engoron wrote, rejecting a frequent argument cited by the defense.

Engoron similarly disagreed with the defense's argument that property values were "subjective" and therefore could not be fraudulent.

"The defenses Donald Trump attempts to articulate in his sworn deposition are wholly without basis in law or fact," Engoron wrote, saying that the documents presented to the court "clearly contain fraudulent valuations that defendants used in business."

Engoron also sanctioned Donald Trump's lawyers for peddling "bogus arguments," ordering five attorneys to pay $7,500 each. Christopher Kise, Michael Madaio, Clifford S. Robert, Michael Farina and Armen Morian were each ordered to pay within 30 days.

A lawyer for the New York attorney general's office had earlier described "staggering" misrepresentations about the value of Trump's properties and assets, arguing that Trump engaged in a prolonged "bait-and-switch" to lower his tax burden while inflating his assets to obtain favorable loan terms.

lost in melb.
09-27-2023, 02:21 PM
Inflate to get a loan, deflate to pay your taxes.

Oldest trick in the book.

lost in melb.
09-27-2023, 02:23 PM
In his ruling Tuesday, Engoron said Trump inflated the value of his own Trump Tower residence between $114 million and $207 million -- including claiming the property was triple its actual size in square feet.

Engoron also found that Trump inflated the value of his Mar-a-Lago club by at least 2,300%, claiming the property assessed by the county between $18 million and $27.6 million was actually worth between $426,529,614 and $612,110,496.

:shock:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-27-2023, 06:25 PM
Doesn't there need to be a victim for a crime?

lost in melb.
09-28-2023, 02:06 AM
Doesn't there need to be a victim for a crime?

Ignoring Trump for a second, if you do stuff to avoid tax (which doesn't really hurt an individual but it hurts a society) if it's not a crime what you call it?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-28-2023, 03:29 PM
I guess in that situation the victim would be the IRS. In this situation it seems like all loans were paid, nobody was victimized. IDK

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2023, 04:24 PM
I guess in that situation the victim would be the IRS. In this situation it seems like all loans were paid, nobody was victimized. IDK

100% this. I have no idea how that moronic AG in New York has any standing to even bring a lawsuit on this. This is completely between Trump and the banks that funded the loans. This is just another GET TRUMP!!!!!!!! thing on top of everything else. There are hundreds of thousands of people, if not millions, that fudge the numbers on load documents. Is she going to sue every one of them?

PorkChopSandwiches
09-28-2023, 04:26 PM
Far Left Democrat Judge Says Businessman Trump Overvalued His Empire.

A far-left, Democrat judge in New York has ruled that he knows more about the value of the business empire of former President Donald Trump than his banks, business partners, accountants, employees, and insurers. (This part is key Lost) Judge Arthur Engoron, a life-long leftist lawyer, ruled Tuesday that Trump and his company deceived people, even though two-page disclaimers were included in financial statements to make clear such valuations were internal estimates.

The trial against Trump will continue in October, with New York AG Letitia James using her position to attempt to fine Trump $250 million explicitly to harm his election campaign, and indeed ban him from doing business in New York.

Judge Engoron’s ruling is likely to cause a shockwave across New York in general, with many firms now likely to review how they handle their financial estimates and information if the government alongside the far left judiciary is left in charge of interpreting their finances.

The ruling sets the stage for a non-jury trial beginning on October 2, in which Engoron will decide on remaining claims and any potential punishments.

Trump’s lawyers argue there was no evidence of public harm caused by Trump’s actions, and that some of the allegations were even barred by the statute of limitations. The leftist judge refused to throw out the case.

UPDATE: Trump himself had some harsh words on the subject, as posted to Truth Social on Tuesday evening:

“I have been unfairly sued by the Trump Hating Democrat Attorney General of New York State, Letitia James, over the false fact that I inflated my Financial Statements in order to borrow money from Banks, etc. The Judge in the case, Arthur F. Engoron, refused to allow this case to go to the “Commercial Division,” where it belongs, because he is a Trump Hater beyond even A.G. James, who campaigned against me spewing horrible inflammatory statements which are False & Defamatory. I am not even allowed a Jury!

“The facts of this case are simple:

1) I AM WORTH MUCH MORE THAN THE NUMBERS SHOWN ON MY FINANCIAL STATEMENTS.

2) I DIDN’T EVEN INCLUDE MY MOST VALUABLE ASSET, MY BRAND.

3) THE BANKS WERE PAID BACK IN FULL, SOMETIMES EARLY, THERE WERE NO DEFAULTS, THE BANKS MADE MONEY, WERE REPRESENTED BY THE BEST LAW FIRMS, & WERE VERY “HAPPY.” THERE WERE NO VICTIMS!

4) ON THE FRONT PAGE OF THE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS THERE IS A STRONG “DISCLAIMER CLAUSE” TELLING ALL NOT TO RELY ON THESE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS. THE DISCLAIMER CLAUSE TELLS ANYONE REVIEWING THE DATA, INCLUDING FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS, TO DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS – IT IS A NON RELIANCE CLAUSE, AND COULD NOT BE MORE CLEAR. ADDITIONALLY TO MY BEING WORTH FAR MORE THAN IS SHOWN IN THE “FULLY DISCLAIMED” FINANCIAL STATEMENTS, AGAIN NOT PUTTING DOWN A VALUE FOR MY BIGGEST ASSET, BRAND, THE COMPANY HAS HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN CASH, AND VERY LITTLE DEBT.

It is a great company that has been slandered and maligned by this politically motivated Witch Hunt. It is very unfair, and I call for help from the highest Courts in New York State, or the Federal System, to intercede. THIS IS NOT AMERICA!”

PorkChopSandwiches
09-28-2023, 04:44 PM
Donald Trump's stunning Mar-a-Lago estate is worth $282M MORE than the $18M valuation given by Manhattan judge who held ex president liable for fraud, Palm Beach realtor says

* Democrat Justice Arthur Engoron valued the sprawling 20-acre Florida property at a mere $18million in a bombshell ruling
* This does not take into consideration the fair market value - nor does it explain how Trump's estate has only increased by $8M since he bought it 38 years ago

Donald Trump's stunning Mar-a-Lago estate is worth $282million more than the $18million valuation it was given by a Manhattan judge who held the ex president liable for fraud, a Palm Beach realtor said.

Democrat Justice Arthur Engoron valued the sprawling 20-acre Florida property at a mere $18million in a bombshell ruling that said the former president inflated the value of his wealth.

Engoron used a Palm Beach Assessor valuation that ranged the 128-room property from $18 million to $28 million between 2011 and 2021. But it was valued at $160million by Forbes in 2018, and $350million in an assessment in March 2022.

And a relator from the area said it's likely worth more than $300million, while Trump himself has estimated the property could be worth up to $700million. He slammed the judge today and said it's worth '100 times more than he values it.'

The formal assessment does not take into consideration the fair market value - nor does it explain how Trump's estate has only increased in value by $8million since he bought it for $10million 38 years ago.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/09/27/15/75894989-12566635-image-a-28_1695824872727.jpg

Trump's staunch supporter Marjorie Taylor Green wrote on X following the ruling: 'A Democrat activist posing as a judge ruled Mar-a-Lago’s value down to $18 million, which is a complete LIE.

'Democrats are so jealous of President Trump’s extraordinary success, they will do anything to destroy him, even weaponizing judges benches against him and his great family.

'Mar-a-lago sits on the most premier location in Palm Beach County on 20 BEAUTIFUL waterfront acres built out in spectacular fashion.

'Not to mention it functions as one of the most exclusive clubs in the world.

'Mar-a-lago’s value is far more than real estate and buildings, beautiful ones at that, it’s one of many Trump extremely successful businesses, which sets it’s value extremely high!

'That Democrat activist judge wouldn’t know his a** from a hole in the ground.'

One prominent Palm Beach real estate broker told The New York Post: 'It's utterly delusional to think that property is only worth $18 million.'

'If that property were on the market today, I would list it at around $300 million, minimum … at least. He also has the separate golf course minutes away.'

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/09/27/19/75894973-12566635-Democrat_Justice_Arthur_Engoron_valued_the_sprawli ng_20_acre_Flo-a-72_1695838246309.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/09/27/19/75894997-12566635-Mar_a_Lago_pictured_last_August-a-75_1695838246461.jpg

A two-acre lot, located just minutes from Mar-a-Lago, is currently listed for $150 million. Many have questioned therefore how Trump's home - which is 10 times bigger - could be worth 157 percent less.

Yesterday, Judge Engoron ruled that Trump committed fraud for years while building the real estate empire that catapulted him to fame and the White House, after prosecutors charged he inflated property valuations with lenders and diminished them with tax authorities.

In reaction, the former president took to Truth Social to say it was 'a very sad day for the New York State System of Justice'.

'Today's Ruling about a Company that has done a magnificent job for New York State fails to acknowledge the fact that Murder and all other forms of Violent Crime have reached record levels in New York State,' he wrote.

'Can you imagine ruling against me for having done business perfectly, and yet letting people go on a rampage on the sidewalks of New York?

'This is the Judicial conduct that is forcing thousands of companies to flee New York for other environs, while virtually nobody comes back to the City or State.'

The civil trial begins October and could run through the end of the year, as Trump continues to lead the GOP field for the Republican presidential nomination.

The ruling Tuesday came in a civil lawsuit brought by James, even as Trump faces multiple criminal indictments in multiple jurisdictions related to his election overturn effort and other matters.

She sued last year, claiming numerous acts of fraud. Lawyers representing Trump and his company, as well as his adult children, asked the judge to dismiss the suit through summary judgement.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/09/27/19/75894995-12566635-The_Mar_a_Lago_Club_home_of_former_US_President_Do nald_Trump-a-77_1695838246475.jpg

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2023/09/27/19/75894991-12566635-A_two_acre_lot_located_just_minutes_from_Mar_a_Lag o_is_currently-a-78_1695838246545.jpg

James found that the former president and his company deceived banks, insurers and others by massively overvaluing his assets and exaggerating his net worth on paperwork used in making deals and securing financing.

She said he boosted valuations by up to $2 billion, inflating the value of signature assets including the Mar-a-Lago club where he now resides and his Manhattan penthouse apartment at Trump Tower.

The decision, days before the start of a non-jury trial in Attorney General Letitia James´ lawsuit, is the strongest repudiation yet of Trump´s carefully coiffed image as a wealthy and shrewd real estate mogul turned political powerhouse.

Beyond mere bragging about his riches, Trump, his company and key executives repeatedly lied about them on his annual financial statements, reaping rewards such as favorable loan terms and lower insurance premiums, Engoron found.

Those tactics crossed a line and violated the law, the judge said, rejecting Trump's contention that a disclaimer on the financial statements absolved him of any wrongdoing.

Manhattan prosecutors had looked into bringing a criminal case over the same conduct but declined to do so, leaving James to sue Trump and seek penalties that could disrupt his and his family´s ability to do business in the state.

Engoron's ruling, in a phase of the case known as summary judgment, resolves the key claim in James' lawsuit, but six others remain.

Pony
09-28-2023, 10:33 PM
So...this is a civil suit? From the AG? For 250 Mil?? How does she justify $250,000,000 in "damages"? And how was she or the city hurt by this?

lost in melb.
09-29-2023, 01:28 AM

I don't know enough about that comment but I've been reading about that Democrat justice valuing Mar a Largo for 18 million. Trump's use of the word Witch Hunt (in this case) is not wrong.

lost in melb.
09-29-2023, 01:31 AM
This just came in:

"A deed was signed by Trump in 2002 saying that the property can only be used as a club and not for residential use or any development. Hence the lower price. This allowed him to pay a significantly reduced amount of tax. "

Teh One Who Knocks
10-03-2023, 01:11 PM
By Daniel Chaitin - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/anQgvEpl.jpg

The judge presiding over Donald Trump‘s civil fraud trial in New York City got blasted by the former president’s allies for flashing a smile in front of a camera before the proceeding got underway on Monday.

News networks aired scenes from the courtroom showing Trump sitting with his lawyers and, a few rows behind them, New York Attorney General Letitia James, who brought the $250 million lawsuit over allegations of business fraud against Trump, members of his family, and the Trump Organization.

When the camera panned to the front of the room, Judge Arthur Engoron appeared to take notice. He smiled, took off his glasses, and smiled again. Upon looking to the side, the judge shrugged before he returned his gaze to the camera and smiled once more. Trump previously spoke out against the charges ahead of his court appearance, slamming Engoron as a “rogue judge.”
The smile enraged Trump’s defenders and others who expressed their dismay on social media in reaction to clips of the video.

“I’ve never seen anything more inappropriate in my life,” Jesse Binnall, an attorney for Trump but not in the New York fraud case, said during an appearance on Newsmax.
“A show trial. Literally,” said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. “We have a serious crisis in our judicial system. So many demons,” said political commentator Julie Kelly. “The judge in Trump’s case smiles for his closeup. What an absolute clown show,” said the X account for the popular Citizen Free Press website.

“Leftism as an ideology rejects the entire system of objective law upon which Western Civ stands,” said Stephen Miller, a leading adviser in Trump’s White House. “To the Left, there are only allies or enemies. And the more they judge someone the latter, the more they will weaponize the ‘justice’ system against them. This is our brave new world.”

The judge did not allow a camera to be in the room for the opening statements that followed, as had been requested by media outlets, leaving some in shock that one got footage from the room before the trial began.
During a break in the trial, Trump caught up with reporters and castigated the judge, who last week found Trump liable for fraud.

“We’re going to be here for months with a judge that already made up his mind. It’s ridiculous,” Trump said. “He’s a Democrat judge. He’s an operative. And it’s ridiculous, Other than that, things went very well.”
Trump is facing multiple civil and criminal cases as he runs a 2024 campaign seeking another term in the White House. He has broadly denied any wrongdoing.

lost in melb.
10-03-2023, 02:11 PM
:popcorn: