PDA

View Full Version : Looters Ransack Philadelphia Stores After Police Officer’s Charges Dismissed In Fatal Shooting

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2023, 04:56 PM
By Zach Jewell - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/DgPTj9Ul.jpg

Hours after murder charges against a former Philadelphia police officer were dropped on Tuesday, large groups, mostly made up of teenagers, looted multiple stores in the city.

Police started receiving calls around 8 p.m. Tuesday night about a large crowd moving into Center City, the main dining and shopping scene in downtown Philadelphia, NBC 10 reported. The crowd eventually turned riotous, ransacking a Foot Locker, Lulumelon, and an Apple store, among other businesses, before at least 20 were arrested.

Video footage of the looting showed a large police presence outside of a Lulumelon as numerous people ran out of the store carrying stolen clothing. The footage also shows police detaining at least four looters on the ground outside of the store.
Another video recorded live and uploaded to social media shows dozens of people looting a liquor store as the person behind the camera says, “That’s what I’m talking about. Everybody must eat.”
The Philadelphia stores were looted after murder charges were dropped against former police officer Mark Dial for the fatal shooting of Eddie Irizarry, who was holding a knife by his right leg, during a traffic stop last month. Philadelphia Municipal Judge Wendy Pew dismissed all charges, including a murder count, against Dial, determining that the shooting was justified, according to NBC 10.

Leftist Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner vowed to appeal the judge’s decision.

“Special Investigations Unit prosecutors will be filing an appeal of this decision to the Court of Common Pleas by the end of today,” Krasner’s office said. “In keeping with our oath to seek justice, we will move to have all criminal charges, including Murder, reinstated against this defendant.”

Following the judge’s move to drop the charges against Dial, people initially gathered to peacefully protest the decision. Acting Police Commissioner John Stanford sought to distance the rioting that eventually broke out from the protests that took place earlier in the day.

“This had nothing to do with the protests. What we had tonight was a bunch of criminal opportunists,” Stanford said.

“These were not protesters, these were criminals,” he added.

Police said that over 100 juveniles and young adults were involved in the looting, and authorities are still trying to determine how many businesses were affected by the night of crime.

Retail thefts and carjackings have spiked in the “City of Brotherly Love” over the past year, according to police department data, Axios reported. Through August 6, car thefts were up 105%, and retail thefts rose 34% while overall property crime spiked 24% compared to the same period in 2022.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-27-2023, 06:15 PM
:tup: peaceful protest

Teh One Who Knocks
09-27-2023, 06:19 PM

Exactly :agreed:

Pony
09-27-2023, 09:25 PM

"Justice"

lost in melb.
09-28-2023, 12:26 AM
I have never rooted for a police take-down with more gusto.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-28-2023, 04:41 PM
By Melissa Koenig - New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/q7E81LA.png

The City of Brotherly Love faced a second consecutive night of widespread looting, with footage showing hooded women grabbing supplies from a beauty store and the glass windows of a liquor store shattered after the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board closed all of its locations in Philadelphia.

Store security footage obtained by CBS News showed a group of women busting through the glass front door of Nat’s Beauty Supply in Mayfair early Thursday morning.

They could be seen indiscriminately pulling hair extensions and wigs off the shelves of the store, which owner Claudia Silmeas opened just six months prior.

“It’s just me doing everything,” she told CBS 3. “I don’t know what to think, I don’t know who to call. Everything is missing.”

Other footage posted online by FOX 29’s Steve Keeley captured he Fine Wine & Good Spirits on Adams Avenue smashed apart after a group of organized thieves targeted the store.

It showed the windows smashed apart with glass scattered across the parking lot.

Inside, the shelves were emptied and boxes, and broken bottles lined the floor of the store.

The alleged thieves also made off with a safe and a lottery machine from the state-run chain store, according to the Daily Mail.

https://i.imgur.com/5dIGJUl.png

“It appears they took all they could and left a lot behind,” a source told Keely, who added that a sneaker store had also been targeted.

Two people have now been taken into custody for the liquor store theft after responding officers found the two suspects loading up a car with merchandise at around 2:30 a.m. Thursday, ABC 6 reported.

The vandalism occurred even though the state Liquor Control Board closed all 48 of its Philadelphia stores, and one in suburban Cheltenham, following similar burglaries at least 18 other locations the night before, when the city descended into chaos.

No liquor store employees were injured Tuesday night, but “some were understandably shaken,” liquor board spokesperson Shawn Kelly said in a statement.

He added that the stores were “closed in the interest of employee safety, and while we assess the damage and loss that occurred.

“We will reopen stores when it is safe to do so, and when the damage is repaired.”

There has been no update on when that may be as of Thursday morning.

https://i.imgur.com/gQYfy0X.png

https://i.imgur.com/kbsuJJ8.png

Police say the widespread looting has no connection to earlier protests against a judge’s decision not to charge a police officer in the fatal shooting of a man sitting in his car, with Interim Police Commissioner John Stanford saying the organized gangs are just trying to take advantage of the situation.

They hit a Foot Locker and Apple store near 15th and Chestnut streets Tuesday night, as well as a Lululemon in Rittenhouse Square and are accused of assaulting a security guard at the shoe store.

Seven cars were also stolen Tuesday night, and only one had been recovered as of Wednesday morning, police said.

Stanford called the thieves “a bunch of criminal opportunists” at the news conference Tuesday night, claiming it appeared they had organized their efforts on social media.

https://i.imgur.com/FVBLxfC.png

https://i.imgur.com/fpbb63J.png

https://i.imgur.com/TcuOvaG.png

Police are also investigating whether “there was possibly a caravan of a number of different vehicles that were going from location to location” after video posted online showed people hanging out of cars in a shopping center parking lot, appearing to bark orders at one another, Stanford said.

A total of 52 arrests have been made as of Thursday morning, and all but three of the suspects are adults, Jane Roh, a spokesperson for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office told ABC 6.

The suspects range in age from 14 to 37 years old, according to CBS News, and most of the charges are for burglary and theft — though six people have been charged with inciting a riot.

Among those arrested was social media influencer Dayjia Blackwell, better known as “Meatball,” who shared her firsthand view of the carnage.

Videos posted to her Instagram Stories show looters targeting several businesses, including Apple, Foot Locker and Lululemon Tuesday night.

She could be heard laughing and cheering on the thieves as she stood by and watched the chaos unfold.

At one point during her stream, Blackwell turned to face her camera and challenged the cops to arrest her.

https://i.imgur.com/IGfUCgY.png

“Tell the police they’re either gonna lock me up tonight, or it’s gonna get lit, it’s gonna be a movie,” she said at one point.

“This is what happens when we don’t get justice in this city,” she screamed as she joined a crowd of youngsters in the street.

She was later handed eight separate charges including six felonies stemming from her involvement with the looting, according to court documents viewed by The Post.

Blackwell was charged with burglary, criminal trespassing, conspiracy, criminal mischief, riot with the intent to commit a felony and criminal use of a communication facility.

Police also issued the influencer two misdemeanors — receiving stolen property and hazardous conditions/physically offensive.

Authorities say they will continue making arrests until all the individuals responsible are brought to justice, and will extend officers’ shifts to make sure they are prepared for any issues that may arise through the weekend.

Mayor Jim Kenney also said his administration will work with the police to assess “which areas of the city may need increased coverage or additional resources.”

“This destructive and illegal behavior cannot and will not be tolerated in our city,” he said in a statement.

Pony
09-28-2023, 10:37 PM
Prosecutor will be dropping all charges next week.

PorkChopSandwiches
10-02-2023, 04:05 PM
Meatball :lol:

lost in melb.
10-02-2023, 04:51 PM
I have never rooted for a police take-down with more gusto.

I should clarify this statement. I meant I'm rooting for the police taking these mofos down.

lost in melb.
10-02-2023, 04:53 PM
They could be seen indiscriminately pulling hair extensions and wigs off the shelves of the store...

I had a good chuckle here :lol: