PDA

View Full Version : 'Rent Too Damn High' candidate facing eviction

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
By Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/ALuBN.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) - A candidate who ran for New York governor because "the rent is too damn high" says he's being evicted from his rent-controlled Manhattan apartment because his landlord wants to charge a new tenant more.

Jimmy McMillan tells the New York Post he pays $872 for the rent-controlled East Village apartment.

He says the landlord wants him out because "my rent is too damn low."

McMillan, now planning a run for president, says he's told his lawyer to file a counter claim for $70,000. The case is pending in Housing Court.

Building owner Lisco Holdings said in court papers that McMillan violated his lease because the apartment is not his primary residence as required by rent-controlled rules. It says he lives in Brooklyn.

McMillan says that address is his office.

deebakes
08-06-2011, 02:11 PM
i guess i didn't realize this saturday night live skit was based off a real dude :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDzt3k7DFM

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 02:13 PM
:facepalm:

deebakes
08-06-2011, 02:35 PM
:dance:

FBD
08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
$872 for an apt in Manhattan????? Jesus christ, GTFO with that oversubsidized crap.

Then rent aint too damn high, you just too damn poor to afford to live in Manhattan, sucka!!!

So am I, that's why I dont live there!!! (amongst a great many other reasons.)

Hal-9000
08-06-2011, 08:14 PM
'rent controlled'

what am I missing? I thought the landlord couldn't raise the rent or punt people for that very reason...

and 872/month? That's about 2/3rds of what I would pay here for a crappy one bedroom apartment per month

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 08:29 PM
'rent controlled'

what am I missing? I thought the landlord couldn't raise the rent or punt people for that very reason...

and 872/month? That's about 2/3rds of what I would pay here for a crappy one bedroom apartment per month

They can't kick you out of a rent controlled building...unless you break the lease. And that's what the building owner is trying to claim.

Hal-9000
08-06-2011, 08:39 PM
In the past we had some shady slumlord dealings here..a company called BOARDWALK, THAT'S RIGHT YOU ASSHOLES BOARDWALK PROPERTIES..

ahem...they raised the rent so high in some places that when it came time for the increase, they forced people into the street.Then they took the shitty apartments, slapped a coat of paint on them
and sold them as 'condos'.

an example was from 715/month to just over 1800...they did it for the express purpose of forcing people to leave so they could sell the units.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah, we get that crap down here too...you would honestly think there would be a law against shit like that, but there isn't :wha:

Hal-9000
08-06-2011, 08:45 PM
They did institute some sort of ceiling stop gap measure, so in the absence of rent controls the landlord could only make an increase within a certain percentage.

The example I listed made the papers and at the time people, (like us now) were amazed that there were no laws put into place to protect renters from that sort of gouging.

It was brutal man...one old lady was living on assistance and at 700/month she was already living without having 3 meals a day, buying clothes on a regular basis etc.The necessities.
It broke my fucking heart :(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Gotta love good old fashioned greed :|