PDA

View Full Version : Busy NYC Starbucks block sockets to free up seats

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Reporting by Lisa Baertlein; Editing by Richard Chang

http://i.imgur.com/BdUWL.jpg

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Some busy Starbucks coffee shops in New York City have started blocking electrical outlets to discourage laptop users from hogging space, and to free up seats for other customers.

"Customers are asking (for it) .... They just purchased a latte and a pastry and there is nowhere to sit down in some of these really high-volume stores," said Starbucks spokesman Alan Hilowitz.

He said the decision is made on a case-by-case basis by individual stores, and to his knowledge is limited to some cafes in New York City.

"If this is what the store needs to do to support the business, then they're allowed to make the decision to do that," Hilowitz said. "It really is all about the balance."

Starbucks offers free Wi-Fi access to all of its customers. While inviting customers to linger can result in repeat purchases, it also can have unintended consequences.

Seating is scarce in some cafes frequented by students, freelancer workers and other computer users who sometimes stay for hours.

AntZ
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Just burn them down, and be done with them!

Trendy bullshit!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Exactly, if all they are doing is sitting there taking up space that could be used for other customers, just tell them to GTFO. If I was managing one of those Starbucks I would just institute a minimum, either in drinks bought or a minimum charge if you plan on being there so long. Fucking hipster leeches.

Hal-9000
08-07-2011, 07:57 PM
sitting for over 15 minutes?

bring out the batons :beatdown:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2011, 07:58 PM

....other computer users who sometimes stay for hours.

:slap:

Hal-9000
08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
did I stutter? :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
You were being sarcastic, I could tell :nono:

Godfather
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I think that's fair... you spend 9$ on a drink, you're welcome to stay for an hour or so until you need to plug in.

None of this staying for 6 hours because you think it looks cools... no business should be pressured to operate like that.

Hal-9000
08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
just thinking...bars would make a fortune if they offered this :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I think that's fair... you spend 9$ on a drink, you're welcome to stay for an hour or so until you need to plug in.

None of this staying for 6 hours because you think it looks cools... no business should be pressured to operate like that.

You wouldn't make a very good hipster with thinking like that [-(

AntZ
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
This reminds me of Christmas shopping, all the news broadcasts talk about how the malls will be flooded with people. One year, my wife and I were a couple gifts short so we needed to head to the mall so we could quickly buy a couple gift cards. The parking lots were completely full and traffic jams surrounded them. We parked away and walked a good distance to get in the mall. Cutting through the mall from one of the big department stores to another, I noticed EVERY SINGLE planter or bench had people just sitting there doing nothing! They looked bored, tired, and uninterested in shopping. There were just hundreds of people doing this, it's just like the assholes hanging out in the big bookstores or at Starbucks. People think they need to be there, if the news says that everyone will be shopping, go to the mall for an entire day and sit around! They have FREE WiFi at Starbucks, buy a $5 coffee, plug in and plant your ass! Who needs homes when you can just take up space at someone else's expense! :roll: