PDA

View Full Version : A serious problem...

JoeyB
08-08-2011, 07:05 AM
I know I spend a lot of time cracking wise, but I have something serious to discuss.

First a bit of background, I live next door to a rather volatile guy. I hear him getting loud a lot, and he's very over the top. One day I was outside with my mother and we were looking over the garden, when he popped out of his door and started ranting to us about how Obama had not visited Joplin (this was about a week after the tornadoes you probably read about...I live about an hour drive from there). It was some sort of talking point he had heard on some conservative chat show...and he was fuming over it. Practically enraged actually. At first I gave him sympathy and agreed it seemed wrong, but he kept ranting. When the storms hit, my mother was in Oklahoma visiting my sister, and the two of them had just driven through Joplin on the way to where I live, so I tried to change the subject to discuss that. Even my Mom tried to mention what she saw, but he would not be shaken off topic. He was furious, and because we would not give him what he wanted, which was clearly to be outraged as well, he finally just stopped talking and walked back into his house without a word or goodbye.

I told my mother to watch out for him after that.

Well yesterday I saw him pacing around, up and down the side of his house, and up and down the street we live on. It looked like he was talking on one of those ear piece phones, but he was continually talking...rapid and non stop. He turned and I noticed HE HAD NO PHONE...nothing. The guy was pacing and talking to himself.

Well, every time I was near a window after that, I saw him pacing...he'd go inside but come out and start over again. Talking to himself all the time. For hours this happened. Mind you...I'm not near a window that often, but every time I was, he was doing this.

Today...same thing...all day. Even when I went outside about a quarter after ten to give my dog one last walk before bed, he came outside and started talking to himself.

It's seriously freaking me out, he's clearly had some sort of mental breakdown and I know for a fact he is very unhappy with the son-in-law of his girlfriend (it's her house they all live in, her daughter married that guy a few months ago).

What the fuck should I do? Can you call and report someone for being mental? I'm not even joking about that, is it possible?

Jezter
08-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Mental or using drugs. I guess there is nothing you can do until he does something worthy of calling the authorities. I don't know... but that shit is scary. Never know what crayz bastards like that can get up to and who they will hurt.

Godfather
08-08-2011, 08:00 AM
That sounds freaky. You neighbor has lost it apparently.

It wouldn't hurt to call the police non-emergency line and see what they say. Just ask them at what point they would make a visit out to make sure he's ok and not going to cause a problems, as he's startling the entire neighborhood. That's what it's there for if it's not a 911 emergency situation.

Otherwise just steer the fuck clear man. Ignore it as best you can and sure as shit don't start a confrontation or get in his way. :wha: Be safe bro. I'd hate to hear he climbed a clock tower...

There was a guy in our neighborhood who would do similar things. He actually turned out to have Schizophrenia. He showed up at the elementary school grounds a few times and sat on the bench, just staring at kids. He was actually rather harmless but was asked by the principal and police to not do that anymore

DemonGeminiX
08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
+1 to GF

How long has this behavior been going on? Have you spoken to the people that live with him?

fricnjay
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
GF hit it, it sounds like this guy might be Schizophrenia and went off his Meds. I know here in Texas you can call the Police and do whats called a "Wellness Check". The police will go to there house and make sure they are not being a danger to themselves or others. If they are they can put them in a hospital for 48 hours. I would make damn sure though, if you are wrong it just might piss him off more and he will probably know it was you that called.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Just because someone is mad and/or talking to themselves, it doesn't necessarily mean he has Schizophrenia.I see people talking to themselves all of the time and I've done it myself.

A girl with serious Schizophrenia lived with my sister for years.When she was on her meds, she was one of the nicest people in the world.When she decided not to take them she hid remotes in beds, she feared electrical outlets and then started being paranoid towards people (my sister's husband and his son were poisoning my sister using anthrax, small amounts in breakfast daily....according to her)

She also went from sweet to vindictive depending on the day...for no real reason.I met her, spent the night of my sister's wedding with her and she was fine.Now my sister has forcibly put her back into hospital.

I'm trying to impart that because you neighbor acting weird, he many not be 'mental'.Schizophrenia comes in many forms as does sanity.

Godfather
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
For sure. But it didn't sound like this person is just chatting with themselves, I understood it as a bit more scary than that? Everyone chats (I sing) to themselves :P

I didn't throw out Schizophrenia to try and diagnose or vilify the condition (and I do have great sympathy for it). It was just a comparison to someone in my neighborhood who startled people. I'm sure there are a dozen afflictions, including stress or just being different, which could account for this person raving as they pace around the neighborhood. But it doesn't even really matter exactly what it is, Joey is worried about himself and his family, not what meds this fellow should get himself on if any.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 05:43 PM
"....when he popped out of his door and started ranting to us about how Obama had not visited Joplin"

he has FBD syndrome..

Ok. I'm leaving

:coat:

Noilly Pratt
08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
As GF said, couldn't hurt to give the authorities a call on the non-emerg. line.

He might be letting his anger out slowly (perhaps his psychiatrist has said to voice out his anger as a means of therapy?) in a kind-of constructive way at least in his mind. At least you'd hope so...if he's actually believing he's talking to someone else that's another level.

Is there any way you could talk with the other members of that family without him around? Does he go to work?

I would tread really carefully and avoid him for sure.

JoeyB
08-08-2011, 10:01 PM
+1 to GF

How long has this behavior been going on? Have you spoken to the people that live with him?

As long as he's lived next door he's been very agitated. He actually likes me, because (long story short) I basically got his, mine, and about two streets worth of people their cable back last week. So, that's good.

But, this pacing and ranting to himself thing has only been happening since Saturday. It's new, and a complete break from his normal routine.

I would make damn sure though, if you are wrong it just might piss him off more and he will probably know it was you that called.

That's what worries me...I don't want to be on his shitlist.

Otherwise just steer the fuck clear man. Ignore it as best you can and sure as shit don't start a confrontation or get in his way. :wha: Be safe bro. I'd hate to hear he climbed a clock tower...

I'm trying to avoid him, but his door and my door are about thirty feet apart...and he paces in his side yard right next to mine, or past the street in front of me. Plus, I have a dog I HAVE to walk several times a day, so, it's impossible to avoid him. And frankly, this is my home and I don't like being put into a position where I can't even go outside without caution.

Just because someone is mad and/or talking to themselves, it doesn't necessarily mean he has Schizophrenia.I see people talking to themselves all of the time and I've done it myself.

I talk to myself too...but this is HOURS of pacing and ranting to himself, that's well past absent minded self conversation.

For sure. But it didn't sound like this person is just chatting with themselves, I understood it as a bit more scary than that? Everyone chats (I sing) to themselves :P

But it doesn't even really matter exactly what it is, Joey is worried about himself and his family, not what meds this fellow should get himself on if any.

Exactly...I have my mother, dog, cats, house, and myself to watch out for. Plus, most of my neighbours are elderly. The people on the other side of him are past one hundred...the lady across the street is in her late eighties and a victim of multiple strokes who has limited grasp on reality, her husband is hard of hearing and in his late seventies (though, healthy and still works part time), and the lady behind him in her sixties and fighting cancer. These are not people who can defend themselves.

As GF said, couldn't hurt to give the authorities a call on the non-emerg. line.

He might be letting his anger out slowly (perhaps his psychiatrist has said to voice out his anger as a means of therapy?) in a kind-of constructive way at least in his mind. At least you'd hope so...if he's actually believing he's talking to someone else that's another level.

Is there any way you could talk with the other members of that family without him around? Does he go to work?

I would tread really carefully and avoid him for sure.

I don't think he works...I don't think anyone in that house works to be honest...two of them have mental retardation (though, the one drives, so he must be very high functioning, and such a person should be able to easily hold a job). I don't feel comfortable approaching any of these people to discuss his problem...it's something they might need to sort out internally. Frankly, at this point my concerns have very little to do with HIS well being, as cold as that may sound.

I've seen and interacted with people who have strange behaviours owing to mental health issues. There is an odd predictability in the otherwise seemingly random way they act, once you study them a bit. They are also basically calm, if animated. This guy is clearly agitated...and his behaviour being a sudden break from his normal routine makes it even more worrying. All my danger senses go off when I see him...

Pony
08-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I'd probably just leave him be as much as possible to try and stay off his "list" if he goes off the deep end.

There seems to be something in the air this summer making people flip out and start shooting, we just had another guy 30 minutes south of me kill his girlfriend, neighbors, girlfriends brother and her 11yo nephew + others (in 4 different locations) before the cops tracked him down and killed him. Seems to be happening very frequently around here lately....

Edit: Lance posted the article
http://tehbasement.com/showthread.php?11795-Police-8-killed-in-Ohio-gunman-among-dead

Muddy
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Just be prepared Joey, that is all.

JoeyB
08-08-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd probably just leave him be as much as possible to try and stay off his "list" if he goes off the deep end.

I live in a fairly nice neighbourhood, people wise if not value wise. Except, for the house that guy lives in...it's been a source of bizarre owners and activity for years now.

Just be prepared Joey, that is all.

Yeah...sad, because this is not how I want to live. People should feel safe in their home and neighborhood.

Noilly Pratt
08-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Any updates, JoeyB?

KevinD
08-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Serious answer.

Sounds as if the guy has been there for awhile (for JoeyB to somewhat know his habits and mannerisms)
I would take some time to approach him personally, try to find out what is going on, and basically let him rant for awhile in order to do so. If at that point I felt he was danger to himself or others, I would call the Cops, if not I would try to explain that he is upsetting the neighbors by his actions, and keep an eye on him.
I have a neighbor that is mentally handicapped. I didn't know it until I talked with a former co-worker. Turns out the neighbors is the co-workers uncle. He's basically harmless, but does tend to "fort" up in the abandoned acre beside my property. He's out there at night at times hollering and yelling. I've talked with him over the years I've lived here, and though he sometimes makes my wife nervous, he is pretty much harmless, and is well aware that my property is off limits.

golfer
08-16-2011, 12:20 AM
yeah i agree with the others if you know him you may want to talk to him, or his family and make sure he is ok... if that doesn't go well you can probably put in an anonymous wellness check call to the cops... but i would try other options first as he is your neighbor and you do have to live next to him...

JoeyB
08-16-2011, 05:36 AM
Any updates, JoeyB?

Serious answer.

Sounds as if the guy has been there for awhile (for JoeyB to somewhat know his habits and mannerisms)
I would take some time to approach him personally, try to find out what is going on, and basically let him rant for awhile in order to do so. If at that point I felt he was danger to himself or others, I would call the Cops, if not I would try to explain that he is upsetting the neighbors by his actions, and keep an eye on him.
I have a neighbor that is mentally handicapped. I didn't know it until I talked with a former co-worker. Turns out the neighbors is the co-workers uncle. He's basically harmless, but does tend to "fort" up in the abandoned acre beside my property. He's out there at night at times hollering and yelling. I've talked with him over the years I've lived here, and though he sometimes makes my wife nervous, he is pretty much harmless, and is well aware that my property is off limits.

yeah i agree with the others if you know him you may want to talk to him, or his family and make sure he is ok... if that doesn't go well you can probably put in an anonymous wellness check call to the cops... but i would try other options first as he is your neighbor and you do have to live next to him...

I've come to the conclusion he may have some mental illness, but specifically seems to be playing out an argument scenario.

For three days he did the ranting and pacing, on the fourth day he added colorful arm movements, including one that I've optimistically decided is a tribute to the famous Atlanta Braves 'chop'. The next day, I was getting ready to walk my dog when I saw him twenty feet away in his side yard, pointing and yelling at someone. Except...he was alone.

But as I said, I really think all of it was him acting out an argument or discussion he'd like to have with that mildly retarded guy who lives there. Meanwhile, I keep waving hello to him when I'm outside and he comes out the door, and he waves back. Lately he's a bit calmed down and paces less, though he hasn't stopped. And he even walked up to and talked to me briefly today and was very lucid.

I'm keeping things pleasant and low key.