PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Offers $10 a Month Internet Option For Low-Income Families

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 02:13 PM
The new plan--dubbed Internet Essentials--will be available in September in the 39 states Comcast operates in.
By Daniel Ionescu, PCWorld

Families that can’t afford to pay from $30 per month for Comcast’s Internet access services now have a less expensive alternative. The cable provider launched a new plan dubbed Internet Essentials, which will cost low-income families only $10 per month for Web access.

The new service is part of Comcast’s bid to comply with regulators who required the company to help poor families connect to the Internet in exchange for approval of the acquisition of NBC Universal.

The low-cost connection will feature a paltry 1.5 Mbps download speed, and up to 384 Kbps upload, Comcast said, and the option will be available in the 39 states the cable provider currently serves. Comcast won’t charge for the activation costs or equipment rental fees either, and the company guaranteed no price increases on the $10 monthly fee.

Who is Eligible

Families have to meet four different criteria in order to benefit from Comcast’s Internet Essentials. One of the children has to be enrolled in the National School Lunch Program; families have to be in one of the 39 states Comcast serves; they can’t have had Internet service from the company 90 days prior to joining the program; and can’t have any overdue Comcast bills or unreturned equipment. Once enrolled, Comcast also offers vouchers towards a budget computer worth $150.

The new Comcast scheme for low-income families is expected to begin in September at the start of the 2011–2012 school year, and the initial concept is to keep families enrolled for three years. The Miami Herald estimates that a family of four making $29,055 a year would qualify for the deal. About 60 percent of the 300,000-plus students in Miami-Dade County Public Schools would qualify.

FBD
08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
So is Jeffey footing this bill, or he expecting somebody else to pay for it, like a good corporate crony should?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 04:46 PM
Who?

FBD
08-08-2011, 05:22 PM
:razz: the inept CEO of the parent company, that's who!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Um, the Comcast CEO is Brian Roberts...they own (have controlling interest in) NBC Universal

NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production and marketing of entertainment, news and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group and world-renowned theme parks. Comcast Corporation owns a controlling 51% interest in NBCUniversal, with GE holding a 49% stake.

Loser
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Mental note, have parents cancel their internet, wait 90 days, and get this instead.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Unless you are gonna move back in with them and re-enroll back in school, that's not gonna work :razz:

Loser
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Unless you are gonna move back in with them and re-enroll back in school, that's not gonna work :razz:

They have custody of my niece. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Alright, you win this round but :watching:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Who's going to pay the subsidy on this?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Who's going to pay the subsidy on this?

Me :|

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Me :|

You sure it's not a stimulus payout some where?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Pretty sure...this was a condition that Comcast had to agree to so that the deal to buy controlling interest in NBC Universal would go through.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
not to be a killjoy..

low income families = computers?

Let me explain - we sponsored a single Mom and her son at Xmas time one year.I normally give heavily to those type of things.

On her list of wants -
PS2 GAMES, Wii games and then a list of what the kid had and didn't have.

then some iphone accessories for her and some very specific clothing wants...

FFS those people had more shit than I did! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Please don't remind me :|

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM
You could be up here Lank...42/month just for internet, no TV, no phone and I get 7.5 down, .5 up and 125 gigs bandwidth.

I'm using the 2nd tier from the bottom too, you should see our nitro superfast packages and their costs per month :|

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:45 PM
not to be a killjoy..

low income families = computers?

Let me explain - we sponsored a single Mom and her son at Xmas time one year.I normally give heavily to those type of things.

On her list of wants -
PS2 GAMES, Wii games and then a list of what the kid had and didn't have.

then some iphone accessories for her and some very specific clothing wants...

FFS those people had more shit than I did! :x

Exactly... A bunch of junk...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Exactly... A bunch of junk...

A bunch of expensive junk that alleged 'low income families' always seem to have

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
we have low income dwellings at the end of our block, quite the long waiting list as they're mini condos...2 and 3 floors.

I may have related this before - chick living with a dude who was a part time butcher, fireman and something else and she made a fair wage too.
They eventually got caught and were ejected with extreme prejudice.One of them drove a BMW ffs and parked it in the lot :doh:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 07:28 PM
I think you can buy an X-box with food stamps at Walmart cant you?

FBD
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Um, the Comcast CEO is Brian Roberts...they own (have controlling interest in) NBC Universal

p-a-r-e-n-t - GE owns half the fookin company, who's ideology you think they're going to be supporting & pushing?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 08:52 PM
p-a-r-e-n-t - GE owns half the fookin company, who's ideology you think they're going to be supporting & pushing?

GE owns less than half the company, therefore Comcast will dictate how the company is run. Not everything is a left wing conspiracy, no matter how hard you try and claim otherwise.

FBD
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
:razz: why yes, parent companies never do such things as force ideologies on their children. me oh my, what was I thinking! :D