PDA

View Full Version : Triple-A debt club

Muddy
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
There are 15 countries that still hold a triple A rating in the debt club.

Can anyone point out the similarity between all 15 countries?

http://i51.tinypic.com/2wm3o1e.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 04:34 PM
They're all in blue! :D

Muddy
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
:winkety wink wink:

Goofy
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
None of them have a President called Obama? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:37 PM
We do!! :cheers:

Oh wait :doh:

Hugh_Janus
08-08-2011, 05:40 PM
they aren't called americ? :-k

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 05:48 PM
They all enjoy a better standard of living than America?

Canada Dollar - 1.04
America Dollar - less

we is on top bitches! :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:50 PM
And what are you doing with that extra 4 cents? :-s

Godfather
08-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Down to $1.01 today :(

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM
:bwaha:

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 05:53 PM
And what are you doing with that extra 4 cents? :-s

:face:

I'm happy you asked.I take 1000 dollars and cross the border into Washington.Then I buy goods (for lower prices) and spend the entire 1000.
Then I come back up, pay duty on the items and subtract the cost of gas and hotel room for two nights.

so far after 3 trips, I'm at almost -374 dollars :dance:

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Down to $1.01 today :(

:x

Ignore the man behind the curtain!

Godfather
08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
We have people importing cars at our office... one guy said he saved $6000-8000 between the strong dollar and cheaper prices when he imported a Lexus RX350!! Even after you pay the 12% HST and a guy $2000 to drive it to the border.

Speaking of which... you guys need an HST down there :lol: 12% on all the goods and services we buy. Kind of sucks but the tax is necessary.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 05:57 PM
I would be all for a 1% Federal Sales Tax....it would raise a ton of money even at 1% and it would affect everyone fairly

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 05:59 PM
We have people importing cars at our office... one guy said he saved $6000-8000 between the strong dollar and cheaper prices when he imported a Lexus RX350!! Even after you pay the 12% HST and a guy $2000 to drive it to the border.

Speaking of which... you guys need an HST down there :lol: 12% on all the goods and services we buy. Kind of sucks but the tax is necessary.

That's the key right there....wait until the exchange is good and then buy a big ticket item that would normally retail for thousands more up here :thumbsup:

Fook me man I've spent a lifetime watching the American dollar be higher than ours...at one point we were at 86 cents or something stupid like that.You couldn't even watch a TV show with an American locale on it without losing money :sad2:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:03 PM
That's the key right there....wait until the exchange is good and then buy a big ticket item that would normally retail for thousands more up here :thumbsup:

Fook me man I've spent a lifetime watching the American dollar be higher than ours...at one point we were at 86 cents or something stupid like that.You couldn't even watch a TV show with an American locale on it without losing money :sad2:

It was lower than that when I was in high school. I worked at a gas station right across the border from Quebec and we had a ton of Canadians that would come down and buy gas. The exchange rate at one point was almost 40%

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:04 PM
It was lower than that when I was in high school. I worked at a gas station right across the border from Quebec and we had a ton of Canadians that would come down and buy gas. The exchange rate at one point was almost 40%

My folks used to go to Reno every year, 3 times/year.

The exchange rate stopped that :(

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:07 PM
The triple A debt club should be renamed the "Coalition of White Boys..."

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:08 PM
*touches nose*

ahhh, I see the commonality

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Is there a country in Africa where you would feel safe about investing in the government/economy? :lol:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh I have no problem with the coalition... It just says a lot is all...

Godfather
08-08-2011, 06:26 PM
There's a good book with a lot of good theories and explanations as to why us White westerners are so rich and fat :lol: Won a Pulitzer Prize too.

Pretty interesting actually... goes at it in a very pragmatic and physical way. A lot about great geography and he refutes the idea that our dominance over the world is due to any sort of moral or intellectual superiority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns,_Germs,_and_Steel

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, I'd like to invest in Botswana please :)

Godfather
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Yes, I'd like to invest in Botswana please :)

Go for Zimbabwe!!

The Zimbabwean dollar was inflating at almost 100% a day a few years ago :lol: Their inflation is something like 230 million percent. The numbers used to describe it's redemonination are something like 10^25

Fuuuuck

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/S7io1.jpg

:banana:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 06:39 PM

Whats that worth? A 2 piece?

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Obamer needs a few of those greenbacks :lol:

Godfather
08-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Nothing anymore... Zimbabwe doesn't even use their own currency, the inflation rate made it utterly worthless. It's out of circulation until industry picks up. They use Western currencies right now.

So it's probably most usefully used as wallpaper or to stuff the walls of your house as insulation... that's what they did when hyperinflation hit Germany and they were paying workers in wheel-barrows full of money twice a day

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6rOfX.png

AntZ
08-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Can anyone point out the similarity between all 15 countries?

All the countries have a member at this forum?

Or they all weren't stupid enough to vote for someone that's incapable of looking into a camera because he needs to read the teleprompters to the left and right??

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/79eXd.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 06:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/WXxed.jpg

This bill holds the record for the highest denomination ever printed in currency by any country in the world.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 06:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/79eXd.jpg

That's fucekd up and they need to rethink their currency.

FFS if I was buying weed I'd need a van :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-08-2011, 07:00 PM
That's fucekd up and they need to rethink their currency.

FFS if I was buying weed I'd need a van :lol:

Like GF said, they don't have their own currency anymore:

Despite attempts to control inflation by legislation, and three separate redenominations in 2006, 2008 and 2009, the use of the dollar as an official currency was effectively abandoned on 12 April 2009. This was a result of the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe legalizing the use of foreign currencies for transactions in January 2009.

Currencies such as the South African rand, Botswana pula, pound sterling, euro, and the United States dollar are now used for all transactions in Zimbabwe; the policy of the government of Zimbabwe has insisted that any attempts to reintroduce Zimbabwean currency should be considered only if industrial output improves.

Muddy
08-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe we can dance our way back into the AAA..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ3_3CKaQ04&feature=related

Jezter
08-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Maybe America should learn something from us and stop with the sillyness. And I don't think it is just Obamas fault. He stepped into some deep shit after what other presidents left him. Especially when the repbs and dems are both being just ridiculous. They need to put on their big girl panties and get shit done and not just try to seal the deal for the next presidency and who has bigger politicock. Just my 2€ cents.

Muddy
08-08-2011, 07:49 PM
You cant compare what happens in Finland to what happens here Jezter... We are much much larger ( I think we could 'population wise', fit your entire country inside 1/2 of the one state that I live in) It's a whole different set of parameters at play here.

Jezter
08-08-2011, 07:52 PM
You cant compare what happens in Finland to what happens here Jezter... We are much much larger ( I think we could 'population wise', fit your entire country inside 1/2 of the one state that I live in) It's a whole different set of parameters at play here.

Your one city could maintain whole Finland! :lol:
It is not just Finland you should learn from. From whole Scandinavia and Northern Europe. :tup:
Can't compare directly and I wont. Am just saying that it wouldn't hurt to learn from something that obviously works and try to steer your country towards that.

Muddy
08-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Your one city could maintain whole Finland! :lol:
It is not just Finland you should learn from. From whole Scandinavia and Northern Europe. :tup:

As a whole I could understand that... We are 50 states with each having an independent operating govt...

Muddy
08-08-2011, 07:57 PM
It's frustrating because a great deal of our states are very well run govts... And we get dragged kicking and screaming into the BS the Fed govt. railroads..

Jezter
08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
As a whole I could understand that... We are 50 states with each having an independent operating govt...

But you are still The United States of America. So Washington has the powahhh to make them big decisions, like raising taxes and cutting spending (quit the fucking wars already!!!), healthcare reform and hopefully doing something to the education system too. Tough decisions and not all people will like it, but no matter what you do, some people will always be against it. Just gotta make those tough calls. Hard to run so many states when every state is doing a little different thing over there...but still, the big decisions hafta be made to steer the whole big USA towards better tomorrow.

Muddy
08-08-2011, 08:00 PM
But you are still The United States of America. So Washington has the powahhh to make them big decisions, like raising taxes and cutting spending (quit the fucking wars already!!!), healthcare reform and hopefully doing something to the education system too. Tough decisions and not all people will like it, but no matter what you do, some people will always be against it. Just gotta make those tough calls. Hard to run so many states when every state is doing a little different thing over there...but still, the big decisions hafta be made to steer the whole big USA towards better tomorrow.

We'll work it out.. We always do... :)

Jezter
08-08-2011, 08:04 PM
We'll work it out.. We always do... :)

You better! I got plenty of places to visit over there still. ;) So keep that shit running, cuz I don't want to be visiting the United States of China. :P Just make sure you don't go crazy with the Dollar. :lol: I want more bang for my Euros! :P

Muddy
08-08-2011, 08:06 PM
You better! I got plenty of places to visit over there still. ;) So keep that shit running, cuz I don't want to be visiting the United States of China. :P Just make sure you don't go crazy with the Dollar. :lol: I want more bang for my Euros! :P

I notice the Canadian dollar isnt doing so well these days either.. It's almost dead even with the USD.

Jezter
08-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I notice the Canadian dollar isnt doing so well these days either.. It's almost dead even with the USD.
1 Euro = 1.42400 U.S. dollars
:cheerlead:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back... :tup:

Jezter
08-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Dont break your arm patting yourself on the back... :tup:

I don't have enough €€€ to do any sort of patting! :lol:
Im a poor motherfuck.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Maybe America should learn something from us and stop with the sillyness. And I don't think it is just Obamas fault. He stepped into some deep shit after what other presidents left him. Especially when the repbs and dems are both being just ridiculous. They need to put on their big girl panties and get shit done and not just try to seal the deal for the next presidency and who has bigger politicock. Just my 2€ cents.

I've read the same thing but don't you DARE say that outloud around here! :shock:

R U crazy man?

AntZ
08-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Yeah, and he had a plan to fix it! So the Dems were handed a super majority and the ability to do what they wanted for TWO YEARS!!!

Fix, cut, solve any problem, pass a budget, anything and were unstoppable with a sycophant world media licking Obama's ass. And don't forget his peace prize! What did they do? Besides a health care reform jammed through by a lame duck congress after a humiliating sweep out of congress!

Every promise Obama made during the election and his State of the Union speeches have turned out to be worthless lip service!

But like I've been saying the last couple of days, Europe is told laughable propaganda by the news media, and I've heard your statement repeated many times from people over here.

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 09:52 PM
the batsignal

:lol:

Muddy
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
The worlds a funky place right... Shits unraveling...

AntZ
08-08-2011, 09:58 PM
the batsignal

:lol:

No one is insulting him or trying to slap him down, I'm simply pointing out that the Europeans are fed a heaping load of bullshit on a daily basis. Really, why else would Obama get nominated for a Peace Prize the same month he was sworn in?

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 10:02 PM
No one is insulting him or trying to slap him down, I'm simply pointing out that the Europeans are fed a heaping load of bullshit on a daily basis. Really, why else would Obama get nominated for a Peace Prize the same month he was sworn in?

you missed my meaning...I've made 50 posts today in various threads and I emboldened one quoted statement in a thread and there you were! :lol:

the timing is funny, is all.

AntZ
08-08-2011, 10:18 PM
you missed my meaning...I've made 50 posts today in various threads and I emboldened one quoted statement in a thread and there you were! :lol:

the timing is funny, is all.

Sorry Hal, but I don't follow you around! I have no idea what 50 posts you've made, but I happened to be reading this thread and decided to respond. If it was in the stars, so be it, but I don't see the significance!

Joebob034
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Is there a country in Africa where you would feel safe about investing in the government/economy? :lol:

I've gotten some awesome investment opportunities via e-mail :-k

Hal-9000
08-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Sorry Hal, but I don't follow you around! I have no idea what 50 posts you've made, but I happened to be reading this thread and decided to respond. If it was in the stars, so be it, but I don't see the significance!

I understand that too...it was a funny coincidence of timing...like I mentioned :rolleyes:

Jezter
08-09-2011, 06:34 AM
2 years is not a very long time at all to fix all the problems that have been so deeply grooved into the system though...especially when it is such a huge country and people are freaking out. At least so I think.
And Hal was right. It is craaaazy to go and say something like that! But I don't give a fuck. They can jump on my tits for that, but Im entitled to my opinion as much as they are. :)

Jezter
08-09-2011, 06:35 AM
I've gotten some awesome investment opportunities via e-mail :-k

I might have you refer them to me aswell. :-k
They seem lucrative and legit as fuck! :tup: We gon' be rich, son!

Arkady Renko
08-09-2011, 11:58 AM

I think Mrs. Merkel and Mrs. Gillard would strongly disaggree with you on this bit.

Muddy
08-09-2011, 12:11 PM
I think Mrs. Merkel and Mrs. Gillard would strongly disaggree with you on this bit.

You know what I mean, rokr.

Jezter
08-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Is it only Standard and Poor's who bumped you guys down a notch or did the other two major players do it too? Cuz what I read... S&P has done some damage to you before with their error and giving false credit ratings to shit that helped create the massive economy meltdown...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
It was only S&P, the other two left the rating at AAA

Jezter
08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
And now people are calling apocalypse and the wall street is melting? Holy shit man... who knew one firm could do all this.

Arkady Renko
08-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Holy shit man... who knew one firm could do all this.

I suppose that applies to Lehman Brothers, too.

Jezter
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I suppose that applies to Lehman Brothers, too.

Oh but they had a lot of help from others, like Goldman Sachs... whole subprime crisis and "too big to fail" shit.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I wonder if I'm too big to fail? Maybe I can get a government bailout :-k

Jezter
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM

:lol: You can try! Just make sure you get false credit ratings first to aid your cause. :tup:

Arkady Renko
08-09-2011, 02:15 PM

eat your way up to, say, 1000 lbs and we'll talk again.

Muddy
08-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Wild, the Dows up 200 points this morning..