PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Aircraft to Go From Zero to 13,000 mph in Hypersonic Test Launch

Teh One Who Knocks
08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Fox News

http://i.imgur.com/eMcL8.jpg

An unmanned aircraft that can travel at the breakneck speed of 20 times the speed of sound will take off Wednesday from an Air Force base in California for a test flight.

The Falcon HTV-2 is an arrow-shaped aircraft that launches on a rocket, separates and then glides at hypersonic speeds of 13,000 mph through the Earth’s atmosphere. (To put it in perspective, it would take less than 12 minutes to fly from New York to Los Angeles.)

Wednesday’s launch marks the aircraft's second flight. In April 2010, the Falcon flew for nine minutes, including 130 seconds of Mach 22 to Mach 17 flight, according to DARPA, the military's research arm.

The goal of the second flight is to "validate our assumptions and gain further insight into extremely high Mach regimes that we cannot fully replicate on the ground," Air Force Maj. Chris Schulz said in a DARPA news release.

Since the first launch in April, engineers have made several tweaks to the vehicle to improve its performance. They have adjusted the vehicle’s center of gravity, decreased the angle of attack flown and will use the onboard reaction control system to augment the vehicle flaps to maintain stability during flight operations, DARPA said.

The flight overview looks something like a rocket launch. The aircraft takes off in a rocket and eventually breaks free. It re-enters the Earth’s upper atmosphere before evening out, like a jet in flight.

After a brief flight, the aircraft takes a nose dive into the sea near Kwajalein Atoll in the Pacific Ocean. In all, the Falcon HTV-2 will have flown 4,000 miles from its original take off at Vandenberg Air Force Base.

"The first flight of HTV-2 allowed DARPA to greatly increase our understanding of the hypersonic environments encountered by the vehicle," said Col. Kent Nickle, Chief of SMC/SD's Launch Systems Division and HTV-2 Flight 2 Mission Director, in a statement.

"The entire team is looking forward to yet another successful flight demonstration for our DARPA partners."

The goal of the project is to eventually enable the U.S. military to strike anywhere in the world in less than an hour.

Muddy
08-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Hell yeah..!

Godfather
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Very cool!! How awesome would it be to see this

To put it in perspective, it would take less than 12 minutes to fly from New York to Los Angeles.

Ya.... but you'd still have to be there 3 hours early and you'd still sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes without being able to pee :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Cool, I could fly to the east coast in no time

FBD
08-10-2011, 05:18 PM
good luck on the landing :lol:

Acid Trip
08-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello Scramjet! I wonder how much they would charge to fly from NYC to LA in 15 minutes.

Hal-9000
08-10-2011, 07:06 PM
good luck on the landing :lol:

That's what I was thinking...by the sounds of the article it's a glorified missile launched on a rocket...like a docile arrowhead

AntZ
08-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Hello Scramjet! I wonder how much they would charge to fly from NYC to LA in 15 minutes.

Probably a few more bucks then first class?? :-k

Shady
08-10-2011, 10:43 PM
Scram and Hyperjet engine like this have been in the works for a while now. If they can be made reasonable, I don't see why they wouldn't hit the commercial market within 50 years. The big problem now is the rocket. I wonder how the progress is going on horizontal magnetic launching. :-k

Joebob034
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

PorkChopSandwiches
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
LOS ANGELES — The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency says contact with its experimental hypersonic glider was lost after launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central California coast.

Scottie McCord, AP

The glider was launched from this Minotaur IV rocket at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California..
The agency says in Twitter postings that its unmanned Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2 was launched Thursday atop a rocket, successfully separated from the booster and entered the mission's glide phase.

The agency says telemetry was subsequently lost, but released no details..

A similar vehicle was launched last year and returned nine minutes of data before contact was prematurely lost.
The small aircraft is supposed to maneuver through the atmosphere at 13,000 mph before intentionally diving into the ocean.
The U.S. military is trying to develop technology to respond to threats around the globe at speeds of Mach 20 or greater.

Acid Trip
08-11-2011, 04:45 PM
LOS ANGELES — The U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency says contact with its experimental hypersonic glider was lost after launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base on the central California coast.

Scottie McCord, AP

The glider was launched from this Minotaur IV rocket at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California..
The agency says in Twitter postings that its unmanned Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle-2 was launched Thursday atop a rocket, successfully separated from the booster and entered the mission's glide phase.

A similar vehicle was launched last year and returned nine minutes of data before contact was prematurely lost.
The small aircraft is supposed to maneuver through the atmosphere at 13,000 mph before intentionally diving into the ocean.
The U.S. military is trying to develop technology to respond to threats around the globe at speeds of Mach 20 or greater.

:facepalm:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-11-2011, 04:50 PM
no shit :lol:

Hal-9000
08-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Scottie McCord, AP

:shock:

I would not wanna get hit with something going 13000 mph straight down :lol: holy shit

Muddy
08-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Somebody stole it... It was Grue...

Hal-9000
08-11-2011, 06:43 PM
The Russians nicked it in mid-flight :shock:

Muddy
08-11-2011, 06:44 PM

I doubt it, but I'm sure they are laughing right now..

Hal-9000
08-11-2011, 06:48 PM
kidding...it travels at about 16 times the speed of sound :lol:

if anyone can get catch that bad boy midflight we're doomed

Acid Trip
08-11-2011, 07:16 PM

I was just about to ask if we're still allowed to blame the Communists when something goes wrong.

Griffin
08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
They should probably check out Drax industries.
Bond attempts reentry.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Moonraker_and_weightless_premarital_hanky_panky.pn g

Hal-9000
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I was just about to ask if we're still allowed to blame the Communists when something goes wrong.

:tup:

Muddy
08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm gonna blame the Christians...

Acid Trip
08-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm gonna blame the Christians...

I'll go with blaming Orthodox Jews and Southern Baptists with a sprinkling of Muslim Terrorists.