PDA

View Full Version : Michael Eavis will boss Glastonbury Festival ‘until he is 84’

redred
08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/8qaVv.jpg
Michael Eavis has revealed he wants to stay in charge of the Glastonbury Festival until he is 84 years old.

The festival began in 1970 and Mr Eavis wants to do 50 years before stepping down.

“My health is pretty good,” said 75-year-old Mr Eavis in his office at Worthy Farm, Pilton.

“I swim 30 or 40 lengths in the pool at the farm every morning and cycle around the village every evening.”

He beat bowel cancer in the 1990s and now hopes to stay running the festival until the 2020 event.

One thing which will help him achieve his ambition is Mr Eavis’s decision to take a year off in 2012.

There will be no Glastonbury Festival, partly because equipment used at Worthy Farm will be needed at the London Olympics.

Nor will there be a 2012 Glastonbury Extravaganza or Pilton Party.

Instead Mr Eavis and his wife Liz are planning to see some events at the Olympics and take a trip around the coast of England, Scotland and Wales.

“We will drive in a yellow Mini with a black top and a couple of suitcases on the back seat visiting a lot of friends,” explained Mr Eavis.

“Hopefully the trip will last six months but we will pop back here from time to time to see my Mum, who is 98, and check everything is all right.

“We will start on the east coast and stay in B&Bs on the way, going via Edinburgh, over the top and down the west coast of Scotland.

“Then Cumbria, north Wales, the Menai Straits, Swansea, Bristol, Newquay, Padstow and Newlyn.

“We have a little fisherman’s cottage in Newlyn so we will stop there for a couple of weeks and do a little work on the house.

“Next we will go along the south coast and stay at places we are keen on like Swanage, then on to Southend and the East India Docks in London for the launch of the new Greenpeace boat.”

Mr and Mrs Eavis were inspired by the BBC television series Coast.

http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Michael-Eavis-boss-Glastonbury-Festival-8216-84/story-13111709-detail/story.html