PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry. How's this guy fare?

Muddy
08-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Texas Gov. Rick Perry will announce Saturday in South Carolina that he is running for presidental Republican familiar with the plans told CNN.

Previous reports had indicated that Perry would use a speech at the conservative RedState Gathering in Charleston to make his intentions clear but would stop short of officially announcing a presidential bid.

According to a CNN/ORC International poll, 15 percent of Republicans and independents who lean toward the GOP choose Perry as their first choice for their party's nomination, just 2 points behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Acid Trip
08-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Perry is a pretty intense guy. He needs to run on the fact that of all the jobs created in the United States over the last two years 40% have been in Texas.

fricnjay
08-11-2011, 08:19 PM
I dont know a single person that will vote for him after what he did to teachers out here.

Muddy
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Hmm.. I was hoping to hear some... ' Oh wow! this guys the man !'.. :lol:

Acid Trip
08-11-2011, 08:24 PM
I dont know a single person that will vote for him after what he did to teachers out here.

He had to balance the budget somehow and education is one of the biggest slices of the pie. What services would you have cut instead?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Hmm.. I was hoping to hear some... ' Oh wow! this guys the man !'.. :lol:

He's a bible thumping wannabe preacher and he is unelectable. The republicans add yet another worthless candidate for the nomination.

FBD
08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
:lol: gotta love how people characterize the elimination of administrative bloat at a school...

i.e., they hired more than they should have in the first place...

...my GOD, look what you're doing to the CHILDREN!!! :rolleyes:

if ye slobs performed, yer job would be safe.

deebakes
08-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Is this Katy's dad?

RBP
08-11-2011, 10:35 PM
How does he fare? I assume you mean... meh idk - I'm still in wait and see mode despite the over the top religion rally.

JoeyB
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM
Is this Katy's dad?

I'd fuck her.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
http://i.imgur.com/I0kHL.png

RBP
08-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Lance? :-s

did you take a job at MSNBC now?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't like religious zealots and I sure as hell don't want one running my country :|

RBP
08-11-2011, 11:00 PM
sure as hell huh? :lol: Oh the irony...

I hear ya.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Hell is just a word, not a place :nono:

I just want someone normal that I can get behind and vote for :|

This should be the easiest election for republicans to win since 1980 and look at the numpties that are running for president :|

RBP
08-11-2011, 11:06 PM
ah 1980... that's muh boy. Ronnie would have handled this shit and had everyone waving flags in the process.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
We'll never see another Reagan again I'm afraid :(

Muddy
08-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Oh fuck, is he a psycho Christian?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh fuck, is he a psycho Christian?

Didn't you hear about his "prayer rally" last weekend?

Muddy
08-12-2011, 01:57 AM
Shit man... He's gonna energize the core voters.....

FBD
08-12-2011, 02:08 AM
So Lance, you have a problem with someone who has some faith? Or that he's willing to say something? Or that by saying anything at all about it, its "in your face?" Or that by saying "I guess its up to you, God" means that one takes both hands off the wheel and lets the chips fall where they may - not, "do everything possible to make the equations go in a positive direction, but accept that ultimately, God might be rolling dice?"

Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Personally, I dont like it when its all the time (for instance, on my scale, Palin's god references are about as much as is tolerable,) but the occasional references are in no way inappropriate. I dont know a lot about Perry, btw. But...I'm good with somebody having strong faith in god. I personally do, even though I abandoned christianity as any sort of main path long, long ago, and I took the necessary (e.g. the core teachings of Jesus, not all this other dogma crap,) discarded the useless, and continued on amassing my ever expanding view of the entire concept.

Going back to the concept of an individual right, Walter E Williams has a great piece on it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrT0kBeld3Q) If you believe in god, creator, prime moving force, tao, what have you...then an individual right exists for one simply by being human; a consciousness in the universe, if extrapolated far. That's like *the* core idea of what the country was founded on.

So no, faith aint a problem for me, although zealotry definitely is. But zealotry only comes into the picture when you start getting a certain hellbent slant with rigid ideas (ffs dont make me do the O reference again *must..not...*) and well, Perry actually has a record we can look at and make some sort of remotely educated decision about the matter of "Hey, does this guy have what it takes to run the country in a positive direction?"

Of course, that positive direction also needs to be defined. Things are so bad now, so of course, economy.

Might not be the best best best, but...he's at least got a record with his name on it and ran a joint or two in a positive direction.

Does faith have a ton to do with that?

I think the freedom bit addresses social legislation.

/jabba

Acid Trip
08-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Hell is just a word, not a place :nono:

I just want someone normal that I can get behind and vote for :|

This should be the easiest election for republicans to win since 1980 and look at the numpties that are running for president :|

Hell most definitely IS a place . It's a place in the Bible and in English it's a physical location (a covered or concealed place). Nice try though.

Webster's Third New International Dictionary, unabridged, under "Hell"
says: "from 'helan' to conceal." The word "hell" thus originally conveyed
no thought of heat or torment but simply of a 'covered over or concealed
place.' In the old English dialect the expression "helling potatoes" meant,
not to roast them, but simply to place the potatoes in the ground or in a
cellar.
Collier's Encyclopedia (1986, Vol 12, p.28) says concerning "Hell":
First it stands for the Hebrew Sheol of the Old Testament and the Greek
Hades of the Septuagint and New Testament. Since Sheol in the Old Testament
times refered simply to the abode of the dead and suggested no moral
distinctions, the word 'hell,' as understood today, is not a happy
translation."
The meaning given today to the word "hell" is that portrayed in Dante's
Divine Comedy and Milton's Paradise Lost, which meaning is completely
foreign to the original definition of the word. The idea of a "hell" of firey
torment, dates back long before Dante or Milton. The Grollier Universal
Encyclopedia (1971, Vol. 9,p.205) under "Hell" says: "Hindus and Buddhists
regard hell as a place of spiritual cleansing and final restoration.
Islamic tradition considers it as a place of eternal punishment." The idea
of suffering after death is found among the pagan religious teachings of
ancient peoples in Babylon and Egypt. Babylonian and Assyrian beliefs
depicted the "nether world . . . as a place full of horrors, . . . presided
over by gods and demons of great strength and fierceness." Although ancient
Egyptian religious texts do not teach that the burning of any individual
victim would go on forever, they do portray the "other world" as featuring
"pits of fire" for "the damned."--The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria, by
Morris Jastrow, Jr. 1898, p. 581; The Book of the Dead, 1960, pp. 135-200.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2011, 01:26 PM
So Lance, you have a problem with someone who has some faith? Or that he's willing to say something? Or that by saying anything at all about it, its "in your face?" Or that by saying "I guess its up to you, God" means that one takes both hands off the wheel and lets the chips fall where they may - not, "do everything possible to make the equations go in a positive direction, but accept that ultimately, God might be rolling dice?"

Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Personally, I dont like it when its all the time (for instance, on my scale, Palin's god references are about as much as is tolerable,) but the occasional references are in no way inappropriate. I dont know a lot about Perry, btw. But...I'm good with somebody having strong faith in god. I personally do, even though I abandoned christianity as any sort of main path long, long ago, and I took the necessary (e.g. the core teachings of Jesus, not all this other dogma crap,) discarded the useless, and continued on amassing my ever expanding view of the entire concept.

Going back to the concept of an individual right, Walter E Williams has a great piece on it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrT0kBeld3Q) If you believe in god, creator, prime moving force, tao, what have you...then an individual right exists for one simply by being human; a consciousness in the universe, if extrapolated far. That's like *the* core idea of what the country was founded on.

So no, faith aint a problem for me, although zealotry definitely is. But zealotry only comes into the picture when you start getting a certain hellbent slant with rigid ideas (ffs dont make me do the O reference again *must..not...*) and well, Perry actually has a record we can look at and make some sort of remotely educated decision about the matter of "Hey, does this guy have what it takes to run the country in a positive direction?"

Of course, that positive direction also needs to be defined. Things are so bad now, so of course, economy.

Might not be the best best best, but...he's at least got a record with his name on it and ran a joint or two in a positive direction.

Does faith have a ton to do with that?

I think the freedom bit addresses social legislation.

/jabba

I have no problem with someone of faith....just keep it to themselves is all. I don't believe in god and I never will unless something proves it to me. I don't need to hear about how someone believe that their god is gonna solve something. I live in the real world, not someone else's world of faith.

Hell most definitely IS a place . It's a place in the Bible and in English it's a physical location (a covered or concealed place). Nice try though.

Can you get me some directions to this "place"? I'm looking to do something this weekend and it sounds like a great place to visit. I've never met a real life demon before :tup:

Acid Trip
08-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I have no problem with someone of faith....just keep it to themselves is all. I don't believe in god and I never will unless something proves it to me. I don't need to hear about how someone believe that their god is gonna solve something. I live in the real world, not someone else's world of faith.

Can you get me some directions to this "place"? I'm looking to do something this weekend and it sounds like a great place to visit. I've never met a real life demon before :tup:

Yes I can. Hell is the general definition of a physical place meaning "covered over or concealed". Regardless if you believe in the religious definition it's still place. Read and comprehend the following since you obviously didn't read it last time:

place.'

AntZ
08-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I've never met a real life demon before :tup:

:hand:

http://tehbasement.com/member.php?7-DemonGeminiX :wavey:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes I can. Hell is the general definition of a physical place meaning "covered over or concealed". Regardless if you believe in the religious definition it's still place. Read and comprehend the following since you obviously didn't read it last time:

place.'

Yes, because that connotation of the word is used every single day and is not an archaic definition in the least, what was I thinking :doh:

:hand:

http://tehbasement.com/member.php?7-DemonGeminiX :wavey:

:razz:

fricnjay
08-12-2011, 03:38 PM
He had to balance the budget somehow and education is one of the biggest slices of the pie. What services would you have cut instead?

The way education in Texas is funded is and was broken and instead of getting his hands dirty he told Texas legislators it was in their hands and to do what ever they wanted and he had no part in it. He totally washed his hands of the issue to save face because he knew he was going to throw in his hat for the Republican Presidential Candidate. He purposely SCREWED teachers and students alike just to look good.

AntZ
08-12-2011, 04:14 PM
The way education in Texas is funded is and was broken and instead of getting his hands dirty he told Texas legislators it was in their hands and to do what ever they wanted and he had no part in it. He totally washed his hands of the issue to save face because he knew he was going to throw in his hat for the Republican Presidential Candidate. He purposely SCREWED teachers and students alike just to look good.

Hate to say it, but that pretty much sums up Obama's Presidency!

Muddy
08-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Hate to say it, but that pretty much sums up Obama's Presidency!

Maybe so! But this is a thread to try and see if Rick Perry is a good candidate for Pres... :)

Godfather
08-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Please don't vote for someone who thinks God is going to fix the economy... please :lol:

http://i.imgur.com/I0kHL.png

JoeyB
08-12-2011, 09:58 PM
We'll never see another Reagan again I'm afraid :(

Thank God.

Faith cannot be proven Lance. The essence of faith is in moving beyond proof. If you had concrete proof, you would still not have faith, because faith requires something larger, more spiritual than mere evidence.

What would be the worth of faith that comes only from that which you have seen? It reduces the concept, and the reward.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-12-2011, 10:01 PM
Thank God.

Your opinion

Faith cannot be proven Lance. The essence of faith is in moving beyond proof. If you had concrete proof, you would still not have faith, because faith requires something larger, more spiritual than mere evidence.

What would be the worth of faith that comes only from that which you have seen? It reduces the concept, and the reward.

You have obviously missed the entire point and I am not going to have a theological discussion about this. You stated your opinion and I stated mine.

JoeyB
08-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Your opinion

You have obviously missed the entire point and I am not going to have a theological discussion about this. You stated your opinion and I stated mine.

I didn't miss your point Lance, I think you missed the point of what faith really is. I'm not into theological discussions either, I was only making the point that faith (which could be in almost anything) is only of value if it IS faith.

KevinD
08-13-2011, 03:02 AM
IMHO, Perry is just more of the same old republican criminal type that we are all used to. As for him being "religious", don't bet on it. It's like his Carrhart jacket he puts on when he wants to look like a working man. I know of several times, first hand where he has attended "get togethers" with women other than his wife. He's a scoundrel, plain and simple. We most definitely DON'T need business as usual in the white house. Personally, though I don't like or agree with all his policies, I'd go with Ron Paul, but I don't believe he's electable.

JoeyB
08-13-2011, 04:26 AM
IMHO, Perry is just more of the same old republican criminal type that we are all used to. As for him being "religious", don't bet on it. It's like his Carrhart jacket he puts on when he wants to look like a working man. I know of several times, first hand where he has attended "get togethers" with women other than his wife. He's a scoundrel, plain and simple. We most definitely DON'T need business as usual in the white house. Personally, though I don't like or agree with all his policies, I'd go with Ron Paul, but I don't believe he's electable.

I legitimately cannot see a single person on either major party ticket who I would back at this point. Guess this will be one more election cycle that I just ignore. My attentions for the last ten years have been focused almost entirely on the after-election phase...signing petitions, making calls on occasion, and generally harassing the elected idiots into maybe, perhaps, doing something useful and beneficial.

I'm likely jaded, but all politicians seem basically the same to me. Corrupt, self-interested, and greedy. This is why I rarely vote anymore.

Yeah...it's all about the post election efforts.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-16-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.gonzotimes.com/hope.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
08-16-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBXSdoYqvk

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2011, 06:39 PM

I legitimately cannot see a single person on either major party ticket who I would back at this point. Guess this will be one more election cycle that I just ignore. My attentions for the last ten years have been focused almost entirely on the after-election phase...signing petitions, making calls on occasion, and generally harassing the elected idiots into maybe, perhaps, doing something useful and beneficial.

I'm likely jaded, but all politicians seem basically the same to me. Corrupt, self-interested, and greedy. This is why I rarely vote anymore.

Yeah...it's all about the post election efforts.

I've come to the conclusion that if any person actively seeks a position in politics, then they should automatically be disqualified.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-16-2011, 06:41 PM
I've come to the conclusion that if any person actively seeks a position in politics, then they should automatically be disqualified.

:lol: :tup:

JoeyB
08-16-2011, 10:00 PM

And be made into soylent green.

Actually...I've always said the same thing about people who buy guns...if you want one, you should not be allowed one. Just my opinion, don't everyone freak the fuck out.

FBD
08-17-2011, 02:15 AM

Yeah, I understand keep it to yourself and all, but when there is a conglomeration of like-faithed, I dont see an issue. Saying that not knowing the context of what we're referring to.

hm...something wont ever prove it to you...on some level, you prove it to you. but words are such a ridiculously diffuse abstraction that they rarely come close to doing it justice. dont look out, look in, dissect natures into constituent parts and what is left? you'll find something that resonates with your curiosity eventually, I am absolutely sure of that at the very least :nuts: but this loop depends :dance:

Jezter
08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Why don't you get a Pope for the States and turn it into a new Vatican if a conglomeration of like-faithed believers are to follow a powerful preacher. :P