PDA

View Full Version : MIT Scientists Develop a Drug to Fight Any Viral Infection

Godfather
08-14-2011, 03:30 AM
cientists at MIT are developing a new drug that may fight viruses as effectively as antibiotics like penicillin dispatch bacteria. The broad-spectrum treatment is designed to trigger cell-suicide in cells that have been invaded by any virus, thereby halting infection, while leaving healthy cells alone.

In lab tests using animal and human cells, the new therapy was effective against 15 viruses, including the common cold, H1N1 influenza, dengue fever, a polio virus, a stomach virus and several types of hemorrhagic fever. "In theory, it should work against all viruses," said Todd Rider, a senior staff scientist in Lincoln Laboratory's Chemical, Biological, and Nanoscale Technologies Group at MIT, who invented the new technology.

The microscope images above show that DRACO successfully treats viral infections. In the right-hand set of four photos, dengue hemorrhagic fever virus kills untreated monkey cells (lower left), while DRACO shows no toxicity in uninfected cells (upper right) and cures an infected cell population (lower right). (Photo: Courtesy MIT)

The drug works by using human cells' natural defense systems against viral infection. When a virus infects a healthy cell it takes over the cell's machinery for its own purposes: to replicate. In the process, the virus produces long strands of double-stranded RNA, or dsRNA — the telltale mark of an infected cell.

Eventually, once the virus has finished replicating, it will kill off its host cell and move on.

LIST: 5 Lessons from the H1N1 Pandemic

To fight infection, human cells have proteins that attach to dsRNA and trigger a cascade of reactions that stop viruses from copying themselves. Rider had the idea to combine one of these proteins with yet another protein that induces cells to commit suicide, a process known as apoptosis.

The end result is a drug called DRACO (for double-stranded RNA activated caspase oligomerizers): when one end of DRACO binds to dsRNA, it signals the other end of DRACO to initiate apoptosis, killing cells before the virus has a chance to replicate.

"Viruses are pretty good at developing resistance to things we try against them, but in this case, it's hard to think of a simple pathway to drug resistance," said Karla Kirkegaard, professor of microbiology and immunology at Stanford University.

In lab experiments, DRACO completely cured mice infected with the H1N1 flu virus. The researchers think the treatment could potentially be used to thwart outbreaks of new viruses like SARS.

The scientists are currently testing DRACO against more viruses in mice and said they hope to license the technology for trials in larger animals someday in humans.

The results were published in the online medical journal PLoS One.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/11/mit-scientists-develop-a-drug-to-fight-any-viral-infection/#ixzz1UyEL0q4X

deebakes
08-14-2011, 03:34 AM
:woot:

Godfather
08-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Can you imagine if they cured the common cold. Holy fuck that would be awesome :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Then the common cold would mutate into something far stronger and resistant to this wonder drug and wipe out 98% of the world's population.

:thumbsup:

Godfather
08-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Always the pessimist :lol: Antibiotics can strengthen viruses - namely when people don't finish cycles or they weren't necessary. This is making double stranded RNA cells kill anything with an dsRNA virus, preventing any virus from doing the fundamental thing a supervirus would need to do - reproduce. For a virus to become resistant to this thing (presuming it works) it would just have to not be a virus. :P

This could be the biggest thing since penicillin... then again it might not work at all.

Seen I Am Legend? Got Ammo?

DemonGeminiX
08-14-2011, 06:57 AM
:freakout:

Everyone's gonna die!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Always the pessimist :lol: Antibiotics can strengthen viruses - namely when people don't finish cycles or they weren't necessary. This is making double stranded RNA cells kill anything with an dsRNA virus, preventing any virus from doing the fundamental thing a supervirus would need to do - reproduce. For a virus to become resistant to this thing (presuming it works) it would just have to not be a virus. :P

This could be the biggest thing since penicillin... then again it might not work at all.

Seen I Am Legend? Got Ammo?

Blame whiney patients and the doctors that give in to them. There are morons that get the sniffles and go see a doctor and demand antibiotics and instead of telling the patient that they are indeed a moron, the doctors go and prescribe the antibiotics just to shut them up. And then to top it off, the idiot that gets the antibiotics (who doesn't even need them in the first place) doesn't even take the whole bottle, so any harmful bacteria that may indeed be in their system at the moment develop a resistance to that antibiotic.

Everyone is worried about a war destroying the human race....what will actually wipe us off the face of the earth will be something so small that we can't even see it....because of the idiots I just described above. :|

Godfather
08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
For sure. I'm sure being a GP in this day and age is hell. People coming in who have self-diagnosed online, their brains full of bogus information someone typed out on answers.com :roll:

Honestly... I'm very hopeful this new drug woks. There seems to be a great chance that the only thing that will stop a pending supervirus will be this new drug :-k

FBD
08-15-2011, 11:17 AM
:-k

Godfather
08-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Can you imagine the excuses management would start hearing from employees looking for sick days off, if the common cold and seasonal flues could be cured :lol:

DemonGeminiX
08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
:nono:

They won't need an excuse. They're all gonna be dead.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-15-2011, 04:56 PM
I always use "explosive diarrhea", no way they want to question you :lol:

Hal-9000
08-15-2011, 04:59 PM
the polio virus and hemorrhagic fever is what caught my eye...

this is promising :dance:

DemonGeminiX
08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
I always use "explosive diarrhea", no way they want to question you :lol:

:lol:

Yeah. I wouldn't want to, either.