PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Senate to vote on anti-union bill

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
By SCOTT BAUER, Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin lawmakers are prepared to pass a momentous bill that would strip government workers of nearly all collective bargaining rights over the loud objections of thousands of teachers, students and prison guards who packed the Capitol for two days of protests.

The nation's most aggressive anti-union proposal has been speeding through the Legislature since Republican Gov. Scott Walker introduced it a week ago. After clearing a major legislative hurdle Wednesday night, it was headed to votes in the Senate and Assembly.

Up to 20,000 people filled the Statehouse on Wednesday, cheering, singing and chanting in demonstrations unlike any seen in Madison for decades. Their numbers included many families and teachers from the Madison school district, which was forced to close after more than 40 percent of its 2,600-union covered employees called in sick.

The Legislature's budget committee passed the bill on a partisan vote just before midnight. Several opponents in the crowd broke into tears as Democrats on the committee encouraged them not to give up the fight.

"I'm sad. Scared. Disappointed," said Kelly Dzurick, a 31-year-old fifth-grade teacher in Elkhorn, who came to the Capitol on Wednesday night. "Nobody's listening to what people say."

The head of the 98,000-member statewide teachers union called on all Wisconsin residents to come to the Capitol on Thursday for the votes in the Senate and Assembly. Several districts, including Madison for a second day, said they would close.

"Our goal is not to close schools, but to instead to remain vigilant in our efforts to be heard," said Wisconsin Education Association Council President Mary Bell.

If passed by the Legislature, the move would mark a dramatic shift for Wisconsin, which passed a comprehensive collective bargaining law in 1959 and was the birthplace of the national union representing all non-federal public employees.

Democrats have been unable to stop it.

"The story around the world is the rush to democracy," said Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar. "The story in Wisconsin is the end of the democratic process."

In addition to eliminating collective bargaining rights, the legislation also would make public workers pay half the costs of their pensions and at least 12.6 percent of their health care coverage — increases Walker calls "modest" compared with those in the private sector.

Republican leaders said they expected Wisconsin residents would be pleased with the changes and that the bill was about saving money. The union concessions would save the state $30 million by July 1 and $300 million over the next two years to address a $3.6 billion budget shortfall.

"I think the taxpayers will support this idea," Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said.

As protesters chanted "Recall Walker now!" outside the governor's office, Walker insisted he had the votes to pass the measure. He says it's needed to help balance the budget and avoid massive layoffs.

"We're at a point of crisis," the governor said. He has said he would call out the National Guard if needed to keep state operations, including prisons, running.

In an interview with Milwaukee television station WTMJ, President Barack Obama said he was monitoring the situation in Madison and acknowledged the need for budget cuts. But, he said, pushing public employees away from the bargaining table "seems like more of an assault on unions."

While other states have proposed bills curtailing labor rights, Wisconsin's measure is the most aggressive anti-union move yet to solve state budget problems. It would end collective bargaining for state, county and local workers, except for police, firefighters and the state patrol.

Wisconsin has long been a bastion for workers' rights. The American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees was founded in 1936 in Madison.

But when voters elected Walker, an outspoken conservative, along with GOP majorities in both legislative chambers, it set the stage for a dramatic reversal of Wisconsin's labor history.

Under Walker's plan, state employees' share of pension and health care costs would go up by an average of 8 percent.

Unions still could represent workers, but could not seek pay increases above those pegged to the Consumer Price Index unless approved by a public referendum. Unions also could not force employees to pay dues and would have to hold annual votes to stay organized.

In exchange for bearing more costs and losing bargaining leverage, public employees were promised no furloughs or layoffs. Walker has threatened to order layoffs of up to 6,000 state workers if the measure does not pass.

Republican-backed changes to the bill made by the committee Wednesday would extend a grievance procedure to public workers who don't have one and require more oversight and put a deadline on changes Walker's administration can make to the Medicaid program. It would also give a level of legislative oversight to Walker's ability to sell public power plants.

Deepsepia
02-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Public employee unions have always been a questionable proposition.

While I support unions generally, public employee unions have the ability to affect elections, and public policy in a way that unions in private companies don't, and they haven't used that ability for the public interest.

For example, in California, the prison guards' union is one of the biggest supporters of the"three strikes" law-- not because its good for the state, but because it means jobs for members. That's a really bad and dangerous example, and there are plenty of others.

There's also a very strange disparity between America's largely non-union private sector workforce, and the heavily unionized public sector -- that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the biggest issue is the disparity in pay/benefits between the unionized public sector and the non-unionized private sector when comparing similar jobs.

The public sector employees are generally making anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as much as a private sector employee and to top it off, the private sector employees are the ones paying the salary of the public sector employees (through taxes, fees, surcharges, etc). And when it comes down to situations like we have now when many states, counties, cities, etc are broke, the public sector unions won't give even a fraction of an inch.

Binky
02-17-2011, 11:47 PM
Wisconsin is a dictatorship.

It's going to cut Milwaukee Public Schools' funding, have you seen those schools? They need funding, bad.

wtf are they thinking

Southern Belle
02-18-2011, 12:04 AM
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the biggest issue is the disparity in pay/benefits between the unionized public sector and the non-unionized private sector when comparing similar jobs.

The public sector employees are generally making anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times as much as a private sector employee and to top it off, the private sector employees are the ones paying the salary of the public sector employees (through taxes, fees, surcharges, etc). And when it comes down to situations like we have now when many states, counties, cities, etc are broke, the public sector unions won't give even a fraction of an inch.

Amen bro. I'm tired of paying people more than I make.

Binky
02-18-2011, 12:09 AM
I just don't like that this is hurting my brother, he's not seeing the better end of the bargain, and he's still against it. It's one of those things...