View Full Version : Wiener War: Sara Lee, Kraft Escalate Battle Over Hot Dogs

Teh One Who Knocks
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/1YPOx.jpg

CHICAGO – The nation's two largest hot dog makers are taking their legal beefs Monday to federal court in Chicago, where a judge will determine whether Oscar Mayer or Ball Park franks broke false-advertising laws in their efforts to become top dog.

Legal arguments in the long-ranging wiener war between Chicago companies pit Sara Lee Corp, which makes Ball Park franks, against Kraft Foods Inc., which makes Oscar Mayer. The case could clarify how far companies nationwide can go when boasting that their product is better than a competitor's.

Thousands of pages of filings in three years of pretrial litigation by both food-industry giants demonstrate that the stakes are high.

Sara Lee fired the first volley in a 2009 lawsuit singling out Oscar Mayer ads that brag its dogs beat out Ball Park franks in a national taste test. Those tests, Sara Lee argued, stacked the deck against Ball Park in part by altering the way the hot dogs were cooked and served.

The lawsuit also contends that Oscar Mayer touts its Jumbo Beef Franks as "100 percent pure beef," arguing that the claim is untrue, cast aspersions on Ball Park franks and damaged their sales.

Kraft defends the "100 percent pure beef" tag, saying its intent was to state that the only meat used is beef. Some industry hot dogs include a mix of turkey, pork, chicken or other meats. Kraft further argues that the "pure beef" label is justified because surveys show a perception among some consumers that hot dogs contain "mystery meats."

Kraft filed its own lawsuit in 2009, alleging Sara Lee ran false and deceptive ads including a campaign where Ball Parks are heralded as "America's Best Franks." The ad further asserts that other hot dogs "aren't even in the same league."

While implications of the case are serious, even litigants have injected humor into the debate.

In a ruling this spring denying a Sara Lee motion for Kraft to disclose its consumer surveys, Judge Morton Denlow noted the issue arose "on opening day of baseball season in Chicago" and that Sara Lee "strikes out" in justifying its motion.

And in first announcing the lawsuit, Ball Park brand director Chuck Hemmingway said in a press statement: "Simply put, we believe that these untrue statements are all a bunch of bologna."

Deepsepia
08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
All over town, demand is building for the internet's wurst sensation . . . the kids are demanding "make mine an Anthony Wiener"

AntZ
08-15-2011, 03:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xGolw.gif

DemonGeminiX
08-15-2011, 04:41 PM
:hand:

Hebrew National dogs rock.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-15-2011, 04:50 PM
we have too many lawyers

FBD
08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
some tort reform would be fantastic...

really, its not like one of these brands came out and specifically said the other is shit or something. "america's best" - well wtf, we all know that's subjective, how in the hell does that hurt a competitor? other than they wouldnt necessarily be able to use the same slogan. :roll:

Hal-9000
08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
That's it...they never said ' best tasting franks ' or ' best selling franks '....

I remember coke and pepsi going through this legal BS with some of their claims

AntZ
08-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Yeah, those are quality! as Joey says, for ammonia weenies that is.

But in So.Cal. "Farmer John" rules!

http://www.farmerjohn.com/products/hot-dogs/

JoeyB
08-16-2011, 05:28 AM
as Joey says, for ammonia weenies that is.

Hmm, somebody actually read something I wrote. Time to go jump off a bridge now...

Joebob034
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
long-ranging wiener war

:lol:

Muddy
08-16-2011, 04:16 PM

yeah they're good, but sometimes the shitty ones are good too...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2011, 04:17 PM
yeah they're good, but sometimes the shitty ones are good too...

Gotta buy the beef dogs though, the "meat" ones can be pretty nasty...especially the cheap ones :lol:

Muddy
08-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Gotta buy the beef dogs though, the "meat" ones can be pretty nasty...especially the cheap ones :lol:

Exxon sells those ones that are red in color.. I dont know wtf they are...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Gas station hot dogs are awesome :thumbsup:

Hot dogs always seem to taste better when you buy them at a place like that or a ballpark or stadium, or even from a street vendor.

Muddy
08-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Every time I see them though... I immediately fantasize in my head about sticking a big one in my wifes pussy... I dont know wtf is wrong with me... :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Every time I see them though... I immediately fantasize in my head about sticking a big one in my wifes pussy... I dont know wtf is wrong with me... :lol:

:wtf:

Muddy
08-16-2011, 04:32 PM
I know it.... That shit randomly pops into my mind... Even mentioning it , set me off... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-16-2011, 04:41 PM

:tup:
nothing, its called being a man :dance:

FBD
08-16-2011, 05:01 PM
:lol: