PDA

View Full Version : You know you're old when...just got my notice -- pick up your 20 year prize...

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2011, 03:38 PM
You know you're old when...you get a notice in the e-mail from your company to select my 20 year prize. Amazed that my firm is still doing that!

I picked...a cordless phone! I don't wear a watch, a crystal wine decanter and goblets isn't my style and my wife wouldn't thank me for any jewelry. Coulda had a telescope but a knowledgeable friend said it wasn't much to write home about. Luggage? Don't think so.

I started out in the Gov't, and was phased me into another firm (hint - BIG), and they kept all my seniority years, as I'm still with the Government pension scheme.

Godfather
08-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Congrats man. Enjoy the new phone :lol: :D

Telus? BC Hydro?

redred
08-16-2011, 03:55 PM
well done on 20 years of service :tup: i'd think thats a rare thing these days

golfer
08-16-2011, 03:57 PM
using the gift for a usable household need... there's a smart choice :tup: :D

golfer
08-16-2011, 03:58 PM
well done on 20 years of service :tup: i'd think thats a rare thing these days

oh yeah, forgot about that part... congrats on 20yrs in the same place.

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks, people! No, GF think Big Blue. I'm working for a wholly owned subsiduary of them.

They take on a government contract, and also bring in the workers who are presently doing the job...and you keep your union as well. It was when all the privatization was happening with Campbell's Gov't. So, I'm BCGEU.

Here's the history...

I was a private contractor to the BC Government, then an Agriculture employee doing Support Analyst stuff, then phased into BC Systems, which became ITSD, a crown corp...then back to Agriculture, but just as a computer support person, then out to a firm called ITI (still doing the same job, but privatized), then un-privatized and brought back to Agriculture, then moved to BC Environment, then privatized to ISM (IBM), then told to change from Support to Asset Management! THEN, told to work at home and be the internal S/W buyer 2 years ago!:whew:

golfer
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
ok so you worked for like 20 companies but got a 20yr gift from the last company... that was nice of them since you are a job hopper :lol: sorry couldn't resist

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2011, 04:37 PM
:D That's right! For most of all that (until I went to Environment) I kept the same desk and office! I was the sun and everything revolved around me! :mrgreen:

At the time I told my boss I was going for the most amount of departments one can work for in a career. Oh, and my title changed from "Systems Support Analyst", to Support analyst, to Support Technologist, to Sr. Computer Support to Asset Management Analyst to it's present title...

Asset Management Analyst / Sr. Mainframe and Network Internal Software Initiator

Good grief! I need a nap..... :mrgreen:

Goofy
08-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Well done mate :tup: I've been at my workplace for over 10 years now........ must be due a chocolate watch or something :-k

Hal-9000
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
since 1987 doing the same thing for me...been bought 7 times and now we're owned by some parent company in the States (I think..)

Congratulations Noilly :thumbsup:

Noilly Pratt
08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Well done mate :tup: I've been at my workplace for over 10 years now........ must be due a chocolate watch or something :-k

Just for fun, I looked it up. If you worked for my company you could pick from:

Gold Ballade Blue Topaz Earrings for Ladies
Providence Ring for Men
Dartmouth Barometer
Sailboat Sculpture
Cutter and Buck American Tri-Fold Padfolio with Roller Ball Pen
Bushnell H20 Binoculars
Adventure Set (Digital Compass, Monocular and cases)
Tour Mission Diamondback Golf Cart Bag
Sony CD Boombox With iPod Dock
Marina Watch for Ladies
Two-Tone Watch for Men

MrsM
08-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Congrats on the 20yrs Noilly :tup:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2011, 06:51 PM
since 1987 doing the same thing for me...been bought 7 times and now we're owned by some parent company in the States (I think..)

*Tucks that little tidbit away in back pocket*

If you think we're gonna let you live that one down, you've got another thing coming.

We own Hal.

:twisted:

DemonGeminiX
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
P.S. Congrats, Noilly.

:tup:

Hal-9000
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
*Tucks that little tidbit away in back pocket*

If you think we're gonna let you live that one down, you've got another thing coming.

We own Hal.

:twisted:

You guys are like the Borg :x

Goofy
08-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Just for fun, I looked it up. If you worked for my company you could pick from:

Gold Ballade Blue Topaz Earrings for Ladies
Providence Ring for Men
Dartmouth Barometer
Sailboat Sculpture
Cutter and Buck American Tri-Fold Padfolio with Roller Ball Pen
Bushnell H20 Binoculars
Adventure Set (Digital Compass, Monocular and cases)
Tour Mission Diamondback Golf Cart Bag
Sony CD Boombox With iPod Dock
Marina Watch for Ladies
Two-Tone Watch for Men

Cool :tup: I'll take the golf bag mate - will pm you the delivery address :D

KevinD
08-22-2011, 01:20 AM
My company gives a 24k gold engraved Benelli sa 12ga for 20 years service. I get my 5 year (6 actual years so far) gold and diamond ring this Christmas. Then we get a new diamond every year after 5 until the 10 year mark. Dunno what is between 10 and 20 years.

JoeyB
08-22-2011, 04:13 AM
My company gives a 24k gold engraved Benelli sa 12ga for 20 years service. I get my 5 year (6 actual years so far) gold and diamond ring this Christmas. Then we get a new diamond every year after 5 until the 10 year mark. Dunno what is between 10 and 20 years.

A virgin, hopefully.

Hal-9000
08-22-2011, 04:20 PM

damn..you get treated well.

I'm still waiting for my 15 yr PEN...

:lol:

KevinD
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
damn..you get treated well.

I'm still waiting for my 15 yr PEN...

I think so. The biggest things I don't like about this company is that they don't match 401k at all, and I have to pay a large (almost all) percentage of the heathcare for my family. After being in a multi-national environment for 14 years, I am thankful everyday that I quit my old job and work for this company now.

deebakes
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I got a harold miller clock for my 10 year :woot:

KevinD
08-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I got a harold miller glock for my 10 year :woot:

Much better!

Hal-9000
08-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I got an aching body, empty bank account and a shitty attitude for my 19 years..