PDA

View Full Version : Boy Killed Great-Grandma With Sword: Police

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2011, 02:43 PM
By Greg Wilson - NBC Philadelphia

A Georgia teen killed his great-grandmother and wounded his grandmother with a sword before cops took him down with a stun gun, officials said.

Cops in Douglasville arrived at the home Monday afternoon to find the dead woman lying in the front yard and the 15-year-old boy standing in the doorway with a sword and a pellet gun, which he used to shoot out the windows of their squad car, Douglas County Sheriff Phil Miller told The Associated Press.

Inside, they found the grandmother, who is in her 50s, barricaded inside a room. She was taken to the hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries, Miller said.

Authorities had been to the home before on reports of the teen being violent.

"We've arrested him on two different occasions. Once in June where he had another sword, which is in evidence. This is not the same sword. He cut his grandmother on the foot with it that time," Miller said, according to CBS Atlanta.

Acid Trip
08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
WE MUST BAN PRIVATE OWNERSHIP OF ALL SWORDS AND KNIVES! PEOPLE CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

How silly does that sound? That's the exact argument the anti-gun crowd uses.

Godfather
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Wait he's 15 and his great grandmother is 50-60!?! We're dealing with 4 generations of class here I'm sure

FBD
08-17-2011, 04:39 PM
WE MUST BAN PRIVATE OWNERSHIP OF ALL SWORDS AND KNIVES! PEOPLE CANNOT BE TRUSTED!

no shit...I know some tai chi players over there that are pissed they cannot even so much as go outside and do forms with a real sword!

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a 30 inch katana at work :thumbsup:

it's plastic and fairly non lethal tho :sad2:

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Not really...for clarification: Guns are too easy to get, especially in the States..that's what causes the problems :thumbsup:

As I've mentioned before, some of you live in areas where you feel threatened enough to own a gun.No worries there, but the looseness
and complaints of people claiming their rights are being violated going through a background check or having to wait 30 days...just mystifies me.

FBD
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Not really...for clarification: Guns are too easy to get, especially in the States..that's what causes the problems :thumbsup:

:lol: I'd LOVE to see some evidence to back that up - unfortunately, the data shows pretty clearly that where you restrict or ban guns, the rate of violent and gun crime increases. look at chicago, DC.

:lol: how many London looters would have looted the store of a gun toting owner? they had no fear because they knew nobody was going to hurt them, which made them even more brazen.

its a right here and its never going away, so...its always a good reason to be packin responsibly - you never know what perps are up to, and when you have the ability to protect yourself, its just a plain good idea.

to whit, this is the first in a very long time I can recall there being a sword crime in a civilized country :lol: why are they banned, again? because there was some problem of people going around killing and committing crimes with swords? :-k

minz
08-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Most swords and knives are banned from being carried here too, its no big deal really, If your walking around with an unrestained sword or knife in your pocket then as far as I can see your up to no good! When I transport mine hey have to be in a sheath and fastened so that they cant be unwrapped easily, and carried in the boot of the car, I'm happy with that.

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 07:08 PM
:lol: I'd LOVE to see some evidence to back that up - unfortunately, the data shows pretty clearly that where you restrict or ban guns, the rate of violent and gun crime increases. look at chicago, DC.

:lol: how many London looters would have looted the store of a gun toting owner? they had no fear because they knew nobody was going to hurt them, which made them even more brazen.

its a right here and its never going away, so...its always a good reason to be packin responsibly - you never know what perps are up to, and when you have the ability to protect yourself, its just a plain good idea.

to whit, this is the first in a very long time I can recall there being a sword crime in a civilized country :lol: why are they banned, again? because there was some problem of people going around killing and committing crimes with swords? :-k

Yeah I have data to back that up.
Every day I read the paper and some gun toting idiot goes in and shoots up people in a restaurant, school, bible camp...whatever....

If you're going to try to post here and tell me that every citizen in the States is a responsible, legal, registered gun owner the conversation stops.
ergo - guns are too easy to get and that causes problems.Restrict gun ownership and at least weed out a small percentage of the whacko gun owners.

FBD
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
that's my point, every citizen is not - but 'easy access' is but an excuse for calling for more gun control. why, if it were only a bit harder to get a gun, give people a couple more hoops to jump through (so localities can cash in on charging people for yet another benign activity,) then less people would commit gun crimes!

seriously, that logically flows from beginning to end with no red flags?

and btw, gun ownership IS already restricted!

you know what else the data shows? when some nut does show up and try to create problems, the length of confrontation decreases, less people get hurt, than if a perp shows up and nobody onsite has any feasible way to defend themselves.

when it is more likely that a gun is around, it also makes it less likely a perp will choose that location - they most often go for places where they know whey wont have people shooting back at them.

that still doesnt address the sword issue :razz:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-17-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah I have data to back that up.
Every day I read the paper and some gun toting idiot goes in and shoots up people in a restaurant, school, bible camp...whatever....

If you're going to try to post here and tell me that every citizen in the States is a responsible, legal, registered gun owner the conversation stops.
ergo - guns are too easy to get and that causes problems.Restrict gun ownership and at least weed out a small percentage of the whacko gun owners.

Everyday I read about some idiot priest who molested one or more children that were in his care, I would like to outlaw catholicism ;)

Acid Trip
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Guns are the only thing that put an 80 year old grandma and a 25 yr old male on an equal playing field. How else can one defend themselves against a superior opponent? Or maybe you believe the police will be there for every crisis? It sounds insane but I've heard "that's what police are for" as reason for more gun control.

minz
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Everyday I read about some idiot priest who molested one or more children that were in his care, I would like to outlaw catholicism ;)

That’s the single most sensible post I've ever seen you write :shock: careful now, you’re starting to sound normal. :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-17-2011, 08:35 PM
That’s the single most sensible post I've ever seen you write :shock: careful now, you’re starting to sound normal. :lol:

:shock:

minz
08-17-2011, 08:36 PM
So how did this topic turn from swords to guns in such a short time? :threadjack:

Muddy
08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
I'd like to outlaw Muffin tops on chicks.

Loser
08-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Here in indiana and michigan, you can carry a fucking great sword strapped to your back. As long as it's in plain view of the public, it's legal.

How's that for common sense :lol:

Yt Trash
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Here in indiana and michigan, you can carry a fucking great sword strapped to your back. As long as it's in plain view of the public, it's legal.

Same in FL. As long as it's not concealed, you're good to go.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Same in FL. As long as it's not concealed, you're good to go.

How the fuck to you conceal a sword? :-s

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 10:13 PM

you're comparing apples to guacamole....

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Guns are the only thing that put an 80 year old grandma and a 25 yr old male on an equal playing field. How else can one defend themselves against a superior opponent? Or maybe you believe the police will be there for every crisis? It sounds insane but I've heard "that's what police are for" as reason for more gun control.

You bring up valid points.But relevant to what I was saying...there needs to be tighter controls on who gets them and why.Certainly if you're an upstanding citizen with a good record you can wait out a lengthy screening process? Some people in your country believe it's a right, not a privilege to have a firearm.They start quoting amendments of their constitution (written 250 yrs ago btw, which is conversation in itself..) and try to say - I have the right to bear arms, therefore I must! Like it's some sort of childhood mandate that every American should have a gun in their hand by the time they hit their teens.

And one thing I keep asking....Ok, so people have guns.Some people make bad choices and blow someone's head off by accident (children) or do the same when 'they're angry'.Who gave the right to that crazy fuck behind me in a Walmart parking lot who had a bad day and decides to shoot me? And coupled with that, how come I never hear the good story? The one where some lunatic ran into a McDonalds, started shooting innocents and then some other citizen pulled his (registered) weapon and killed the lunatic, stopping the spree?

Seriously...if the majority is armed down there (for self defense/fear reasons) how come the only stories I read are about idiots who kill others on some random whim or the stories about the horrible accidents in the home? Never get to hear how Rambo saved a group of people by drawing his 9mm...

Hal-9000
08-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Question for a registered gun owner:
What is the exact process to obtain and register a weapon in the States?

thanks

Loser
08-17-2011, 11:05 PM

thanks

If you obtain one from a dealer, the dealer is required by law to do a background check, and on receipt of purchase, send notification of purchase as well as model and serial number of the firearm to the ATF. *This is anyone who holds a FFL license.*

If you purchase from an individual , the SELLER of the firearm is required by FEDERAL MANDATE to notify his local municipality of said transfer, and to make sure the person buying the firearm is of sound mind and legal status.

For instance, if I sell a gun to an ex con whack job who commits a triple homicide, I can be held legally liable.

Is this the way it always works? No, but that's how it LEGALLY should happen.

DemonGeminiX
08-17-2011, 11:07 PM

:nono:

If you watched Highlander, you'd already know.

Southern Belle
08-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Swords must be banned right now!

Pony
08-17-2011, 11:16 PM
So how did this topic turn from swords to guns in such a short time? :threadjack:

Yes, let's get back to the swordfight.

:think:

:ghey:

Acid Trip
08-18-2011, 01:56 PM
If you obtain one from a dealer, the dealer is required by law to do a background check, and on receipt of purchase, send notification of purchase as well as model and serial number of the firearm to the ATF. *This is anyone who holds a FFL license.*

If you purchase from an individual , the SELLER of the firearm is required by FEDERAL MANDATE to notify his local municipality of said transfer, and to make sure the person buying the firearm is of sound mind and legal status.

For instance, if I sell a gun to an ex con whack job who commits a triple homicide, I can be held legally liable.

Is this the way it always works? No, but that's how it LEGALLY should happen.

There are even tighter restrictions if you want to carry a concealed firearm. I had to pass an FBI background check, go to a minimum of 8 hours of training with a certified instructor (he was a policeman), qualify on a range, and then the final step is going to the local Sheriff's office to fill out a little more paperwork (and pay more money).

Muddy
08-18-2011, 02:00 PM

http://www.thedailygreenwich.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/article_vertical/dan_meyer_bruce_nov_14-1.jpg

AntZ
08-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Blade can! He wears it low on the collar and covered by his black coat! :tup:

http://i.imgur.com/33zh5.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 03:50 PM

thanks

In CA you also have to wait 10 days from purchase until you can pick it up.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 03:50 PM
you're comparing apples to guacamole....

Oh, I thought we were discussing getting rid of things that harm people, my bad ;)

Hal-9000
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Oh, I thought we were discussing getting rid of things that harm people, my bad ;)

ideals vs objects....you should be ashamed of yourself

*shoots PCS in the lower buttock*

Acid Trip
08-18-2011, 04:01 PM

Don't get him aroused!

AntZ
08-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Just wait for when he's banging a chick and then shock him in the ass!

http://i.imgur.com/bv50M.gif

FBD
08-18-2011, 05:10 PM

the blade on my katana is the same length as my spine ;)

FBD
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
You bring up valid points.But relevant to what I was saying...there needs to be tighter controls on who gets them and why.Certainly if you're an upstanding citizen with a good record you can wait out a lengthy screening process? Some people in your country believe it's a right, not a privilege to have a firearm.They start quoting amendments of their constitution (written 250 yrs ago btw, which is conversation in itself..) and try to say - I have the right to bear arms, therefore I must! Like it's some sort of childhood mandate that every American should have a gun in their hand by the time they hit their teens.

And one thing I keep asking....Ok, so people have guns.Some people make bad choices and blow someone's head off by accident (children) or do the same when 'they're angry'.Who gave the right to that crazy fuck behind me in a Walmart parking lot who had a bad day and decides to shoot me? And coupled with that, how come I never hear the good story? The one where some lunatic ran into a McDonalds, started shooting innocents and then some other citizen pulled his (registered) weapon and killed the lunatic, stopping the spree?

Seriously...if the majority is armed down there (for self defense/fear reasons) how come the only stories I read are about idiots who kill others on some random whim or the stories about the horrible accidents in the home? Never get to hear how Rambo saved a group of people by drawing his 9mm...

:lol: that's mostly because they rarely get to the 'spree' part if others are armed - that's when you see headlines that "somebody shot somebody else, and they're sorting it out"

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 05:18 PM
ideals vs objects....you should be ashamed of yourself

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1T4ZbkqoUMA/SJIFO31aFSI/AAAAAAAAAZI/H06rz2x4cZA/s400/Soul+Calibur+Talim+Butt+Shot.jpg

Muddy
08-18-2011, 05:21 PM
*pow*

AntZ
08-18-2011, 05:43 PM
*pow*

It looks like you've done that before?? :-k

Porky assumes the position and you go right to work! :-s

Muddy
08-18-2011, 05:44 PM
It's a real shame there are 2000 miles between us... *sigh*

AntZ
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Love knows no distance!

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Love knows no distance!

http://www.soc.ucsb.edu/sexinfo/images/2010-11-05-longdrelation.jpg

Loser
08-18-2011, 08:16 PM
There are even tighter restrictions if you want to carry a concealed firearm. I had to pass an FBI background check, go to a minimum of 8 hours of training with a certified instructor (he was a policeman), qualify on a range, and then the final step is going to the local Sheriff's office to fill out a little more paperwork (and pay more money).

This varies from state to state. Here in Indiana, all you have to do is fill out the paperwork and pass a background check, usually taking 6-8 weeks.

In CA you also have to wait 10 days from purchase until you can pick it up.

This also varies from state to state. If your a CCW holder there is no waiting period, and background checks take like 5 minutes.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 08:23 PM
This also varies from state to state. If your a CCW holder there is no waiting period, and background checks take like 5 minutes.

I don think that makes a difference in CA though. You still got to wait, but you just dont need HSC if you have the CCW

Loser
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
I don think that makes a difference in CA though. You still got to wait, but you just dont need HSC if you have the CCW

Cali has some fucked up gun laws :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-18-2011, 08:44 PM
They do make it a pain in the ass

Yt Trash
08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Down here in FL, with my CCW I can go to a weekend gun show and walk out with a piece. :dance: