PDA

View Full Version : Huntsman Calls His Rivals ‘Unelectable’

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2011, 09:33 PM
By BRIAN KNOWLTON - The New York Times

http://i.imgur.com/1wfjL.jpg

WASHINGTON – Jon M. Huntsman Jr., the former Utah governor who has been stuck in the second tier of candidates for the Republican presidential nomination, took an aggressive new tone during a televised interview on Sunday, saying that recent remarks from two of his major rivals were “extreme” and “unrealistic.”

He was referring, respectively, to two of the most conservative Republican candidates – Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota and the latest entry in the contest, Gov. Rick Perry of Texas – both of whom have far overshadowed him in polling of Republican voters.

Mr. Huntsman singled out two areas of commentary by Mr. Perry that have drawn particular criticism – Mr. Perry’s skepticism about the human causes of global warming as an unproven theory, and his suggestion that actions by Ben S. Bernanke, the Federal Reserve chairman, to give the economy a boost might be “treasonous.”

He warned against the Republican Party becoming what he called “the anti-science party,” which he said would create “a huge problem” in 2012. In an appearance on the ABC News program “This Week,” Mr. Huntsman added, “I think when you find yourself at an extreme end of the Republican Party, you make yourself unelectable.”

Mr. Huntsman also scoffed at Mrs. Bachmann’s suggestion that, if elected president, she would help bring the price of gasoline to below $2 a gallon.

“I just don’t know what world that comment would come from,” Mr. Huntsman said. “That is completely unrealistic. And, again, it’s talking about things that, you know, may pander to a particular group or sound good at the time, but it just simply is not founded in reality.”

The former governor, who served as ambassador to China under President Obama before quitting that post this year to pursue the presidency, has tried to stake out a middle ground in a contest where the loudest voices have come from what he referred to on Sunday as “the fringes.”

Mr. Huntsman insisted that the American public was “crying out for a sensible middle ground.” He described the United States as a center-right country and said that was precisely where he stood.

Mr. Huntsman fared poorly in the Ames straw poll last weekend in Iowa, a state to which he had devoted little attention. He received less than 1 percent of the vote; Mrs. Bachmann won with 29 percent.

But his comments on Sunday suggested that he might have learned a lesson from a fellow Republican whose campaign bore some similarities to his own: Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota.

Mr. Pawlenty is another former two-term governor with a record as a relatively mainstream conservative. But at times, Mr. Pawlenty came across as too soft-spoken and moderate in a year of unusually heated partisan passions, some political analysts have said.

They said one of his biggest mistakes was to pass on an opportunity, during an early debate, to follow up on his own criticism of Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor and Republican presidential candidate, for the health-care plan he shepherded in that state. Mr. Pawlenty quit the Republican race within hours of having placed third in the Ames straw poll.

Mr. Huntsman, who began his candidacy with calls for civility and respect, spent much of the time during his appearance on “This Week” seeming to position himself as a teller of blunt truths.

He criticized Republicans, including Mrs. Bachmann, who had suggested that a default on the nation’s debt might not be a terrible thing. On the contrary, he said, it would have been “catastrophic.”

He was also asked why, during a Republican debate, he had held up his hand along with all the other candidates when asked if they would reject a hypothetical debt deal that would have cut $10 in spending for every $1 in tax increases. He does oppose tax increases, he said, but he dismissed the show-of-hands approach as “nonsense.”

Another Republican candidate, former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, took a more indirect swipe at Mr. Perry’s candidacy on Sunday, saying that as Republicans look to the 2012 election, “We’re going to win Texas, no matter who the nominee is.” He said the party would need to carry Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida, and “I’ve got the track record to do that.”

Mr. Santorum also criticized the Obama administration for what he suggested was a tepid response to the harsh Syrian crackdown on the protest movement there. The administration called on Thursday for President Bashar al-Assad to leave office, but Mr. Santorum said that “certainly from the very beginning I would’ve called for Assad to step down.”

FBD
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
In other news, Rivals call Huntsman Unelectable...

:lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Huntsman is a hell of a lot more electable to the independent electorate than Perry and Bachman are. It's not the party you're affiliated with that gets you elected, it's the unaffiliated independent voters.

DemonGeminiX
08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Utah, eh? I wonder how many wives he has.

:-k

Deepsepia
08-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Huntsman is a hell of a lot more electable to the independent electorate than Perry and Bachman are. It's not the party you're affiliated with that gets you elected, it's the unaffiliated independent voters.

Yup, Huntsman is a good guy. He's a smart educated guy, who's got respect from folks on the other side of the aisle (including Obama). I don't agree with all his positions, but I've yet to hear him say something ridiculous.

Being a Mormon, he's also got a stake in not making religion a big issue.

He's got some of the same advantages that Romney has, but seems much less of a weasel.

He also did a very good job and is very popular as Governor of an extremely conservative state, so he does know how to get conservative folks to vote for him.

Here's Hunstman, talking good sense about the healthcare mandate, before the wingnuts got ahold of the issue

"I'm comfortable with a requirement -- you can call it whatever you want, but at some point we're going to have to get serious about how we deal with this issue," said Huntsman, in response to a question about a mandate. "There is a mandate today, let us not forget, and it's called the emergency room. You show up at the emergency room and you get covered. Who pays the bills? Taxpayers pay the bills."

JoeyB
08-22-2011, 10:53 PM
See...the tea party republicans are not electable for the presidency...they come off as ranting, ill-informed crazies. Or, really...just are ranting, ill-informed crazies. Forget the Ames poll.

Guys like this have broader appeal...but suffer because they are not flavor of the minute tea baggers.

But I say put Bachmann on the ticket, and thank you for your stupidity in doing so~!

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Yup, Huntsman is a good guy. He's a smart educated guy, who's got respect from folks on the other side of the aisle (including Obama). I don't agree with all his positions, but I've yet to hear him say something ridiculous.

Being a Mormon, he's also got a stake in not making religion a big issue.

He's got some of the same advantages that Romney has, but seems much less of a weasel.

He also did a very good job and is very popular as Governor of an extremely conservative state, so he does know how to get conservative folks to vote for him.

Here's Hunstman, talking good sense about the healthcare mandate, before the wingnuts got ahold of the issue

I still like Herman Cain a lot, his politically incorrect statements notwithstanding (actually, it's kinda nice to hear someone be themselves instead of walking the PC line), but I could easily and happily support Huntsman for President.

Deepsepia
08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
I still like Herman Cain a lot, his politically incorrect statements notwithstanding (actually, it's kinda nice to hear someone be themselves instead of walking the PC line), but I could easily and happily support Huntsman for President.

Well, I see Cain as someone's veep, Huntsman or Romney's, maybe.

Cain goes down well with a lot libertarian conservatives, but not so well with religious ones.

The thing about Cain is that his bluntness isn't "crazy" . . . I think most of us are not-so-happy with the mosque down the street, so what Cain's saying might be a little un-PC, but its not Bachmann loony overdrive.

FBD
08-23-2011, 01:44 AM
not a chance in hell huntsman gets nominated. he's way too much of a softie. global warming? :roll: cooked.

JoeyB
08-23-2011, 04:46 AM
global warming? :roll: cooked.

Thanks to global warming we will all be cooked soon.

On the up side, cannibals are quite optimistic about this turn of events.

FBD
08-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Keep up on your heating bills :thumbsup: Cold's going to be a severe problem long before hot's gonna be. It kills more mofos, faster. Amazing the amount of evidence to the contrary and some people still think "90% of scientists" subscribe to this crack.

here, be amused by some crackpottery getting smacked down :thumbsup:
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/08/21/another-giss-miss-tisdale-calls-out-hansen-and-sato-on-failed-predictions/#more-45563

FBD
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
:rofl:
as if huntsman wasnt unelectable enough, here's a nice ringing endorsement from...

...Howard Dean, who says Huntsman is in the wrong party :lol:

http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/23/howard-dean-huntsman-is-a-great-candidate-for-president-but-he-is-in-the-wrong-party/