PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Etiquette?

AntZ
08-22-2011, 09:41 PM
While watching this weeks episode of Breaking Bad, I noticed the people wearing their street shoes in their carpeted bedroom. :shock:

I know there are many different feelings and attitudes in regards to shoes in people homes.

In my family, while growing up, we kicked off our shoes at the door. My mom and dad would never tolerate the wearing of shoes down the hall to the bedrooms. Just as, we were never allowed to come home and open the fridge without washing our hands first.

In my home now, I have granite floors on the main floor, stone tile on the lower floor, and parquet floors on the top floor and in the bedrooms. Even without having carpet, I still can never set foot in my house without removing my shoes. In the summer, like now, we ofter wear sandals. The moment I come home I wash my feet to insure that I'm not walking around with sweaty feet, even my kids run to get their feet washed too.

When guests come over, I honestly don't care if they wear shoes in my living room because of the hard floor. I vacuum and clean my house after guests leave anyways, so no harm. But often our guests will remove their shoes when they enter our house on their own.

But one thing I do hate! I can't bare the thought of removing my shoes when I go visit other people, I'm disgusted by the though that I'm cleaning their floor with my clean socks! :x

Does it matter to you?

Do you wear shoes in your house?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-22-2011, 10:57 PM
i wear shoes in my house, and everyone elses I go to. nobody seems to care, that I hang out with

Southern Belle
08-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I usually take my shoes off when I come in and do the same in my family members' houses. It's not a big deal. Just really sandy where I live and I don't want to track sand in. So I've developed the habit at other people's homes.
Still, not a big deal. I wouldn't dream of asking guests in my house to remove their shoes.

Jezter
08-23-2011, 06:50 AM
In Finland, one takes shoes off at the door. Be it your home or a home you visit. It is very very rude to walk in with your shoes on.

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Leave my shoes on all the time, in or out. Leave my tires on too. And it shows on my rug. Nothing I can really do about it though.

Jezter
08-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Nope. Leave my shoes on all the time. Leave my tires on too.

8-[

Well, that is a little different situation. You are allowed to leave your shoes on if you leave your tires on too, even in Finland. :P

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2011, 06:59 AM
You do realize that there's an unspoken rule about waiting 2 minutes to quote my posts to allow me time to edit the shit out of what I posted, right?

8-[

Godfather
08-23-2011, 07:05 AM
I only wear shoes in the house if I have to walk through to go from back to front yard, or I'm going to move something heavy. Otherwise... never in my house.

In other people's home I wouldn't either, unless it's a drunken house party in which case I try and get away with it :lol: Don't want dirty/wet socks.

Jezter
08-23-2011, 07:09 AM
You do realize that there's an unspoken rule about waiting 2 minutes to quote my posts to allow me time to edit the shit out of what I posted, right?

8-[
:lol: Well, since it has been unspoken, I've never heard of it until now. :P

I only wear shoes in the house if I have to walk through to go from back to front yard, or I'm going to move something heavy. Otherwise... never in my house.

In other people's home I wouldn't either, unless it's a drunken house party in which case I try and get away with it :lol: Don't want dirty/wet socks.

Well, don't you wear socks to protect your feet from getting dirty? I mean, you change your socks daily anyway cuz they are dirty from just wearing them with your shoes...so like, what's the point of being afraid of them getting dirty, when they get dirty anyway? Even tho I have never thought of wearing socks from that angle really, because to me it is just rude to walk in with shoes on.

Noilly Pratt
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
My parents were British, and the custom was to take your shoes off at the door. I usually do that, too.

I think other houses -- it just depends on the heritage of the person.

Joebob034
08-23-2011, 03:18 PM
If I'm at work I keep my stripper boots on and my clothes come off, but at home I take off my boots and keep my clothes on.

Hal-9000
08-23-2011, 03:22 PM
I always take my shoes off before entering someone's house, unless they specifically tell me to keep them on.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-23-2011, 03:34 PM
If I'm at work I keep my stripper boots on and my clothes come off, but at home I take off my boots and keep my clothes on.

:tup:

Godfather
08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, don't you wear socks to protect your feet from getting dirty? I mean, you change your socks daily anyway cuz they are dirty from just wearing them with your shoes...so like, what's the point of being afraid of them getting dirty, when they get dirty anyway? Even tho I have never thought of wearing socks from that angle really, because to me it is just rude to walk in with shoes on.

I certainly don't want cold, sticky beer feet all night, going back in my nice shoes at the end of it.... screw that. :lol:

Any other circumstance, of course the shoes come off, but not when I'm at some disgusting college house where half a keg and a few ounces of weed and cheeto's are ground into the carpet

Hal-9000
08-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I like Antz's post...he'll take his shoes off in his own place and scrub with surgical precision...yet when visiting anyone else, fuck that shit! :lol:

Goofy
08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I always take my shoes off before entering someone's house, unless they specifically tell me to keep them on.

Same here, just the way i was brought up i suppose.......... don't want to trek dirt and mud onto a friends carpet :)

Hal-9000
08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
yeah and usually when they tell you to keep them on....there's a damn good reason :lol:

Tank
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
i wear flipflops 95% of the time and have indoor and outdoor pairs. normal practice for me is walk in through the door, kick off shoes/flipflops, slip on indoor pair.

at friends houses unless i'm told otherwise i remove whatever is on my feet as soon as i'm through the door, sometimes regardless of whether they wear them indoors.

if i visit a friends house and i'm in flipflops i go straight to the WC and have a little rinse of my feet. some of my friends question me for being a germophobe, others think im being rude by stating their flooring is dirty, but i always tell them its one of my weird things i have to do.

redred
08-23-2011, 08:23 PM
i have a 4 year old theres no stopping her running around:lol:, down stairs in the new house has been designed to have hard wearing dirt hiding carpets or flooring so it's no problem shoes off to go upstairs in the bedroom bathroom areas

Loser
08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Shoes off or stay outside. That's how I was raised.

Some drags their dog shit filled shoes through my carpeting? Guess what. You're buying new carpet.

Jezter
08-23-2011, 08:47 PM
I certainly don't want cold, sticky beer feet all night, going back in my nice shoes at the end of it.... screw that. :lol:

Any other circumstance, of course the shoes come off, but not when I'm at some disgusting college house where half a keg and a few ounces of weed and cheeto's are ground into the carpet
That makes sense.

Hal-9000
08-23-2011, 08:49 PM
That makes sense.

Do all of your people still wear de klogs Jez? :rolleyes:

MrsM
08-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Shoes off when I come inside - and I will always assume to remove my shoes in someones house.

Although I have worn shoes in the house if I needed to grab something quickly.

Hal-9000
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
women + high heels + couch/bed = :hand:

Pony
08-23-2011, 10:13 PM
At home I don't care if guests wear shoes in the house, personally I take mine off just because I hate wearing them indoors. At others houses it depends in the situation. If I walk into a home with nice floors and a mat with shoes already on it is by the door mine come off. Or if they are wet, snowy etc. If it's someones apartment or I follow them in or they answer the door in shoes I'll keep them on unless I'm staying for a while.

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2011, 10:17 PM
It's bad etiquette to eat other people's shoes.

:nono:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I like to show up at other people's houses like this:

http://i.imgur.com/3S6Hz.jpg

:)

golfer
08-23-2011, 11:39 PM

suppose you don't get many invites to return... :lol:

golfer
08-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Leave my shoes on all the time, in or out. Leave my tires on too. And it shows on my rug. Nothing I can really do about it though.

so you don't put the blue wheel protectors on.... just like they have for shoes... :lol:

Loser
08-24-2011, 05:04 AM

http://i56.tinypic.com/uvd6h.gif

:lol:

Godfather
08-24-2011, 06:40 AM
Heels are the WORST

A good friend of mine had a house party at her parent's place when they were out of town years back. Some random uninvited drunk hoebag didn't take off her heels, and one ended up snapping off leaving a jagged heel. So this fucking peg-legged half-wit wench walks around all night, scratching and gouging holes in the fine hardwood floor.

Basically it was a disaster when we sobered up the next morning and someone noticed...

Jezter
08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Do all of your people still wear de klogs Jez? :rolleyes:
No need.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EHepF1NuRGM/SjeH72lXEWI/AAAAAAAAD3s/4KaNQsLLA-A/s400/hobbit_feet.jpg