PDA

View Full Version : FCC Officially Kills 'Fair and Balanced' Broadcast Rules

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2011, 11:36 AM
By Mark Hachman - PC Magazine

The Federal Communications Commission on Monday officially purged the Fairness Doctrine from its books, as part of 83 "outdated and obsolete" media rules.

The FCC also announced that it would delete obsolete "broadcast flag" rules, as well as outdated rules governing cable programming rates, as well as broadcast applications and proceedings rules.

"Our extensive efforts to eliminate outdated regulations are rooted in our commitment to ensure that FCC rules and policies promote a healthy climate for private investment and job creation," said FCC chairman Julius Genachowski, in a statement. "I'm proud of the work we are doing toward our goal of being model of excellence in government. This includes our recent commitment to act in accordance with the recent Executive Order on Regulation and Independent Agencies, which is consistent with the values and philosophy we apply at the FCC."

Although the Fairness Doctrine is now officially purged, it had essentially been off the books for decades, as it had been deemed unconstitutional in 1987, and irrelevant in the age of cable news and the Internet. Genachowski had said in June, however, that would pledge to get rid of the Fairness Doctrine as part of an executive order, issued by President Obama, to get rid of outdated regulations.

The FCC's Fairness Doctrine required the holders of broadcast licenses to both present controversial issues of public importance in a manner that was honest, equitable and balanced.

"The elimination of the obsolete Fairness Doctrine regulations will remove an unnecessary distraction," Genachowski said in a statement. "As I have said, striking this from our books ensures there can be no mistake that what has long been a dead letter remains dead. The Fairness Doctrine holds the potential to chill free speech and the free flow of ideas and was properly abandoned over two decades ago. I am pleased we are removing these and other obsolete rules from our books."

Genachowski said that the work would continue.

"Our work is not done," he wrote. "I have directed each bureau at the FCC to conduct a review of rules within their areas with the goal of eliminating or revising rules that are outdated or place needless burdens on businesses. We are also in the process of developing a retrospective review plan, pursuant to the recent Executive Order."

The FCC has already eliminated over 50 other outdated regulations, it said.

FBD
08-23-2011, 11:47 AM
*scratches surface*

AntZ
08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
It's amazing to think that in the height of the Dem. victories in 08', some hacks actually tried to get this shoved through again. :roll:

Deepsepia
08-23-2011, 01:03 PM
It's amazing to think that in the height of the Dem. victories in 08', some hacks actually tried to get this shoved through again. :roll:

Do you approve or disapprove of the current action?

FBD
08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
how do you think a champion of individual rights would respond?

JoeyB
08-23-2011, 10:01 PM
how do you think a champion of individual rights would respond?

Who knows, but we are asking your opinion.

Snap! Where's Hal when I need him for a 'burn' back up?

FBD
08-23-2011, 10:27 PM
heh, and here I thought it would be obvious :razz:

a ball's a ball, a strike's a strike, and its pretty much impossible to fuck up each and every thing you do.

"this particular action" is supported, generally speaking. the fairness doctrine was never fair to begin with. what's fair about getting propped up if you cant compete? its the reason why liberal radio is basically dead, because nodoby listens, they cant compete in that marketplace, and there should be no law saying that there has to be a liberal voice. if the liberal voice can support itself, it may speak on the airwaves.

while its nice that Obama has declared useless regulations should be dropped, he's also introduced so many new ones that these token few are but that....token, just like the black president he is, since he most certainly did not earn it based on merit.

Deepsepia
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
while its nice that Obama has declared useless regulations should be dropped, he's also introduced so many new ones that these token few are but that....token, just like the black president he is, since he most certainly did not earn it based on merit.

Wow.

That's just spectacular.

When the Obama Administration takes a policy position you claim to support, you can't bring yourself to say so without rushing to throw in unrelated slurs . . . the fact that he's done something which you claim to want seems to have triggered some cognitive dissonance

Just say it: "I approve of this action by the Obama Administration", really, it'll be good for you .. .

FBD
08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I just did, sucka! But like every "good thing" that comes out of this administration, it comes with corrupt-a-wish!

Cognitive dissonance? :lol: dont get me started - anything positive for this country that's come from this administration has been token at best!!! Stifling and weakening, to get the USA back down where it belongs, because all countries are equal! :roll: Spare me the drivel! You who constantly confuses correlation and causality, not adding two plus two - unrelated, bah! It galls me that we have a leftist, affirmative action president. I point out a way he says one thing and does another and rightfully rip him for it - dont worry, I hold the ideology yall espouse in might higher contempt than any certain individual - I hate the game more than the playa :thumbsup: