PDA

View Full Version : 1000-Core Processor Eats Quad-Core CPUs For Lunch

Teh One Who Knocks
02-18-2011, 10:30 PM
By James Mulroy, PCWorld

Late last year, we covered an Intel CPU with 48 cores on a single chip. That sounds impressive, but a new prototype makes this looks like child's play.

Scottish researchers have built a 1000-core processor (yes, three zeros) that runs 20 times faster than current chips and uses less power. Amazingly, this chip approaches the maximum mesh diameter before the chip-network connecting the cores negatively impacts performance.

Researchers believe that this new technology will become more common and help speed up computers over the next couple years.

The research team used the greener field programmable gate array (FPGA), a specific integrated circuit design typically configured by the consumer after manufacturing, to build the chip. Since consumers can configure the FPGA, the researchers were able to use some creative program to integrate 1000 cores and divide the processing load among all 1000. Given the 100-core processor's unique customizable nature, it's actually more energy efficient than your typical modern multi-core CPU.

Back in November, Intel said that a 1,000-core processor is possible to build, but the scientists from the University of Glasgow beat Intel to the finish-line.

Given the extent of this discovery it is sure to revolutionize the way computers work. I can't wait to have one of my own so that I can do 3D fluid dynamics from my laptop instead of needing that silly super computer.

Hal-9000
02-18-2011, 10:33 PM
I wantI wantI wantI wantI wantI wantI wantI wantI want :face:

it always amazes me how they increase the cores and decrease the power used

Goofy
02-19-2011, 12:36 PM
:scotland:

Yt Trash
02-19-2011, 12:48 PM
:scotland:

Now if they were only smart enough to know that it's their turn at the screencaps game....

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Now if they were only smart enough to know that it's their turn at the screencaps game....

:burn:

redred
02-19-2011, 01:57 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
02-19-2011, 07:21 PM

:lol: :lol: