PDA

View Full Version : Bachmann claims hurricane, earthquake were God’s messages to politicians; Campaign reportedly says she was kidding

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
By Rachel Rose Hartman | The Ticket

http://i.imgur.com/Nap21.jpg

Hurricane Irene and the recent East coast earthquake were directed at America's politicians, according to a statement from Michele Bachmann.

The Minnesota congresswoman and presidential candidate told an audience gathered at a Shriner's temple in Sarasota, Fla., Sunday that God was trying to communicate a message about fiscal responsibility via the two recent natural disasters. From the St. Petersburg Times:

I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?' Listen to the American people because the American people are roaring right now. They know government is on a morbid obesity diet and we've got to rein in the spending.

Bachmann's comments immediately stoked a firestorm of media attention. In a follow-up statement, Bachmann's campaign sought to cast the candidate's observations as merely a joke Monday, according to Talking Points Memo.

"Obviously she was saying it in jest," spokeswoman Alice Stewart told TPM in a statement.

Stewart did not immediately respond Monday to The Ticket's request for comment.

Bachmann is an evangelical Lutheran who has long stressed her personal relationship with God in public forums. She previously revealed that while serving as a state senator, she asked God for guidance "and just through prayer I knew that I was to introduce the marriage amendment in Minnesota" that defined marriage as between one man and one woman. She also has said that God gave her and her husband visions of marrying one another prior to their first meeting, and that God called her to run for Congress.

For some, Bachmann's comment this weekend immediately brought to mind televangelist Pat Robertson, who infamously claimed Hurricane Katrina was God's punishment for legalized abortion.

Muddy
08-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Mark this psycho off my ballot.

FBD
08-29-2011, 07:29 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-29-2011, 07:51 PM
The funny thing is this type of psycho speak really gets the "thumpers" worked up, to the point the elect her. :roll:

Noilly Pratt
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
The only way she's going to be President is to campaign with someone named Turner.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2ik6qo2.jpg

Campaign song...Takin' Care of Business, of course!

FBD
08-29-2011, 08:15 PM
The funny thing is this type of psycho speak really gets the "thumpers" worked up, to the point the elect her. :roll:

ABO, my brotha :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Isnt that the attitude that got us Obama in the first place :lol:

minz
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM

Sadly that speaks volumes about the electorate :huh:

Acid Trip
08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Make any kind of god reference (joke or not) and get lambasted by the media. Comment that you've visited 57 states (or write the wrong year on a wedding album) and....nothing.

That aside I think she's crazier than she seems and she seems pretty damn crazy.

JoeyB
08-29-2011, 09:18 PM
I was WAITING for some asshole to say this shit. Every time you have a natural disaster some conservative religious fuckwad comes along and claims it's because God hates fags or some garbage.

I was waiting! And it happened!

I should be pleased, but mostly I'm disappointed.

This kind of crap is harmful to people of true faith...Jesus is a liberal, face it. Let the arguments begin!

Acid Trip
08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I was WAITING for some asshole to say this shit. Every time you have a natural disaster some conservative religious fuckwad comes along and claims it's because God hates fags or some garbage.

I was waiting! And it happened!

I should be pleased, but mostly I'm disappointed.

This kind of crap is harmful to people of true faith...Jesus is a liberal, face it. Let the arguments begin!

You should start a betting service. How many (hours/days) will it take before (insert religious group here) blames (insert hated group here) for making (insert deity here) mad and causing the disaster?

Closest in (religious group) and (time/deity chosen) gets the entire pot. Minus 10% administration fees of course.

JoeyB
08-29-2011, 09:42 PM
You should start a betting service. How many (hours/days) will it take before (insert religious group here) blames (insert hated group here) for making (insert deity here) mad and causing the disaster?

Closest in (religious group) and (time/deity chosen) gets the entire pot. Minus 10% administration fees of course.

Listen, it's true...I really was waiting every since the earthquakes last week.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Make any kind of god reference (joke or not) and get lambasted by the media. Comment that you've visited 57 states (or write the wrong year on a wedding album) and....nothing.

Nothing? Really?

http://i.imgur.com/9c0dS.jpg

And at the bottom of the page

http://i.imgur.com/Bcrhw.jpg

RBP
08-29-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
The Republican Party deserves so much better than this.

RBP
08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Did Robertson blame fags for Katrina not abortion? :-k

RBP
08-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Nope I was wrong, it was abortion.

JoeyB
08-29-2011, 11:07 PM
The Republican Party deserves so much better than this.

I think they're getting exactly what they deserve.

Muddy
08-30-2011, 12:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIUzLpO1kxI

That was funny as shit... Mike Myers.. :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
gawd..how did he keep such a serious look on his face when the black guy was rambling on?

did you catch that Freudian slip? ..."I tried to turn away from the teacher...erm... TV.."

Muddy
08-30-2011, 12:57 AM
I like Chris Tuckers eyes too.. " He was like Heyyy, wtf !!".. :lol:

RBP
08-30-2011, 12:58 AM
gawd..how did he keep such a serious look on his face when the black guy was rambling on?

did you catch that Freudian slip? ..."I tried to turn away from the teacher...erm... TV.."

You realize that's Kanye West right?

Muddy
08-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Kanye's mouth is like a blood belching vagina...

Southern Belle
08-30-2011, 01:52 AM
She's as bat crazy as Palin.

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 01:58 AM
You realize that's Kanye West right?

nooo...I thought it was a serious spot...

did I just miss a whole bunch of satire???!!!!

:facepalm: how embarrassing

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 02:01 AM
oh Christ I did miss it :lol:

ffs Meyers has such a serious look on his face, how could one know?

massive fail :oops:

Southern Belle
08-30-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm just seeing the video. Kanye West is bat crazy too.

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I honestly thought it was a serious plea for help...and that they got a non articulate black representative to speak about the problem

holy idiot I am :lol:

Southern Belle
08-30-2011, 02:04 AM
They weren't serious? I thought Kanye was about to cry. Then he said Bush doesn't care about black people. :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 02:07 AM
that plane flew directly over my head...what a morn I am

Southern Belle
08-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Was it supposed to be funny? I'm missing something here.

JoeyB
08-30-2011, 04:25 AM

-- --- .-. -. .-.-.- / ... --- / -. --- - . -.. .-.-.-

Was it supposed to be funny? I'm missing something here.

Is it your panties?

Acid Trip
08-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Nothing? Really?

http://i.imgur.com/9c0dS.jpg

And at the bottom of the page

http://i.imgur.com/Bcrhw.jpg

Bachmann's quote was on the front page of every major news site. Show me the major networks that covered Obama's gaffe on a whole page story (CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, etc).

Muddy
08-30-2011, 05:37 PM

Uh Hal... That was serious... That shit aired during a telethon for Hurricane Katrina victims...

FBD
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Isnt that the attitude that got us Obama in the first place :lol:
heh ;) actually, no, I cant really 100% assert that, because Hillary beating Obama in a primary is well within the realm of possibility.

therefore, Anybody But a Progressive. Hilary proclaimed herself one just as it was perceived there was getting to be a bit of a stigma around the word liberal, therefore she felt it would be no big deal to speak a little truth and tell it like it is and call herself a progressive - but the thing about progressivism is that as soon as a rational mind figures out what it all about, they discard it, unless of course they somehow perceive that they themselves will automatically benefit more underneath that structure instead of another structure to earn wealth, namely...oh...working for it.

so thanks for prompting that correction :thumbsup:

and of course we know that anybody who wins a large Democratic seat-nomination these days must of course have some decent progressive ties, otherwise, like certain hollywood cliques, they simply refuse to hire you for their movies if you disagree ideologically with them :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 09:11 PM
That was funny as shit... Mike Myers.. :lol:

I guess this post kinda threw me off and RBP added - you do know that's Kanye West?

The spot is serious but the posts imply it's a joke...anyways, I stand by my comment that the black guy was inarticulate (and I was being polite :lol:)

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
I guess this post kinda threw me off and RBP added - you do know that's Kanye West?

The spot is serious but the posts imply it's a joke...anyways, I stand by my comment that the black guy was inarticulate (and I was being polite :lol:)

http://i.imgur.com/GhQ2F.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Bachmann's quote was on the front page of every major news site. Show me the major networks that covered Obama's gaffe on a whole page story (CNN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC, etc).

Yeah, let me just hop into my time machine so I can get screen shots of all those websites ;)

Muddy
08-30-2011, 09:28 PM

Yeah the funniest thing to me wasn't so much Kanyes stupid mouth.. It was watching everyone's rection to his comments... When they cut to Chris Tucker you could tell he was like.. "Ok, wtf just happened"? :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 09:31 PM
:doh: So I'm not a dumbass but I still missed the point...

You see kids? Weed has no harmful effects whatsoever!! Smoke it everyday!!! :face:

Muddy
08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
I dont even know what we are talking about... :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 09:43 PM
In about 1.5 hours I'm going to forget the years 2005, 2006...entirely :afro:

JoeyB
08-30-2011, 09:48 PM
I dont even know what we are talking about... :mrgreen:

Vagina, mostly...and where the fuck have you been? Vagina also being a valid response to my query.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 09:52 PM
In about 1.5 hours I'm going to forget the years 2005, 2006...entirely :afro:

Did you ever see the Married with Children episode where Al was prepping Kelly for the trivia/quiz show? :lol:

Once her brain was full, every time she learned something new, she forgot something :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Did you ever see the Married with Children episode where Al was prepping Kelly for the trivia/quiz show? :lol:

Once her brain was full, every time she learned something new, she forgot something :lol:

I can't remember that one :lol: (seriously)

Muddy
08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Vagina, mostly...and where the fuck have you been? Vagina also being a valid response to my query.

Vacation!!! During an Earthquake and Hurricane.. :lol:

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
Muddy was doing the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse world tour vacation :thumbsup:

Muddy
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
No shit, all I lacked was a volcano and a tornado...

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I can't remember that one :lol: (seriously)

Found the episode :dance:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0642312/

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 10:01 PM
Al: Tell me everything you know about sports.
Kelly Bundy: I know that you scored four touchdowns in one game for Polk High, Daddy.
Al: That's right. What else?
Kelly Bundy: Golf spelled backwards is "flog".
Al: [beat] Oh... this is going to take a lot of work.

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:02 PM
fook me Muddy...you just reminded me of this chick I worked with.

There was a famous hurricane a few years back (grrrr, name's not coming to me) There's a ton of satellite pics of it tho.
It mainly hit central America and the Bahamas.

She was down there with her boyfriend and her father and they got stuck in a house for 40 hours...it was so sad because they had saved for years
to go to her Dad's place for 3 weeks.The place got nailed and they ended up getting evacuated out of the country.

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Kelly Bundy: I know that you scored four touchdowns in one game for Polk High, Daddy.

I have seen that one :lol:

Muddy
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM
fook me Muddy...you just reminded me of this chick I worked with.

There was a famous hurricane a few years back (grrrr, name's not coming to me) There's a ton of satellite pics of it tho.
It mainly hit central America and the Bahamas.

She was down there with her boyfriend and her father and they got stuck in a house for 40 hours...it was so sad because they had saved for years
to go to her Dad's place for 3 weeks.The place got nailed and they ended up getting evacuated out of the country.
We didnt get evacuated, but I was trapped down there... Huge trees had fallen across the road...and power lines were laying in the street... Maybe I can post some pics later...

Muddy
08-30-2011, 10:05 PM

I think Christina Applegate is still one of the most attractive actresses out there.. (not that Im trying to derail this thread any further) :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
08-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I think Christina Applegate is still one of the most attractive actresses out there.. (not that Im trying to derail this thread any further) :lol:

She's awesome....I saw her in Hall Pass a couple of weeks ago. Mildly funny movie and she looks great in it :tup:

JoeyB
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM

I'd fuck her in the ass if she asked nicely. Bachmann, not so much...see, now we are back on track.

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
Need this back on track?

Obama is responsible...

:)

Muddy
08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
She's awesome....I saw her in Hall Pass a couple of weeks ago. Mildly funny movie and she looks great in it :tup:

She's got a pair of eyes that you could get lost in...

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:10 PM
We didnt get evacuated, but I was trapped down there... Huge trees had fallen across the road...and power lines were laying in the street... Maybe I can post some pics later...

please do...you know I never leave Hoth

dammit that hurricane's name is going to bother me all night now.....big assed bitch and took out some place near Bahamas..

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:13 PM
I believe this is the shot of the hurricane I'm trying to think of...

http://i.imgur.com/wdEFu.jpg

Muddy
08-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Im not so sure thats not photo-shopped...

Hal-9000
08-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Im not so sure thats not photo-shopped...

It was big news when it came out...desktops, the works

:lol: who knows