PDA

View Full Version : 5 patients get HIV-infected organs in Taiwan error

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2011, 04:17 PM
By ANNIE HUANG, Associated Press

TAIPEI, Taiwan – One of Taiwan's best regarded hospitals said HIV-infected organs were mistakenly transplanted into five patients after a hospital staffer misheard the donor's test results by telephone.

The five are now being treated with anti-AIDS drugs, an official at National Taiwan University Hospital in Taipei said Monday. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because she is not authorized to deal with the media.

The hospital said on its website over the weekend the mistake occurred because a transplant staffer believed he heard the English word "non-reactive" on the donor's standard HIV test, while the word "reactive" was actually given.

The information on the test result was given over the telephone and was not double-checked, as required by standard procedures, the hospital statement said.

"We deeply apologize for the mistake," the hospital said.

The Health Department will look into the mistake and decide on possible penalties for NTUH, department official Shih Chung-liang said. If negligence was found to have caused the blunder, Shih said the hospital may have to suspend its transplant programs for up to a year in addition to unspecified fines.

The donor was a 37-year-old man who fell into a coma on Aug. 24 and his heart, liver, lungs and two kidneys were transplanted to five patients on the same day. NTUH said it transplanted four organs and the heart transplant was conducted at another hospital.

The donor's mother, who was not identified, told cable news stations that she felt terrible about the transplants and had not been aware of her son's ailment. She said he died after "falling from a high spot," without providing details.

Yao Ke-wu, who heads the health department of Hsinchu city, where the donor resided, decried the NTUH transplants as "appalling negligence."

He said NTUH staffers could have avoided the mistake by asking his department about the donor's medical history in advance and deplored that such inquiries were not mandatory in Taiwan.

Yao said the five organ receivers will very likely contract HIV and their treatment will be complicated because they also have to take medication to avoid rejection of the new organs.

The five recipients are Taiwanese. NTUH is among about a dozen well-equipped and highly-respected Taiwanese hospitals offering organ transplants.

There are also concerns among the physicians and nurses who conducted the transplants that they too may contract HIV. Medical staffers routinely take protections against bodily fluids during surgeries, but some experts also warned needle and other accidential cuts could still expose them to HIV.

Lee Nan-yao, a physician with the National Chengkung University Hospital, which performed the heart transplant, told the United Daily News that some physicians and nurses who had conducted the transplant "were depressed, and on the verge of panic."

Godfather
08-29-2011, 05:39 PM
That just fuggin' blows...

But with treatment for HIV these days being as good as it is... there's a very strong chance these donors will love longer than they would without the transplant, and with proper treatment they may even be able to resume sexual contact with their loved ones reasonably safely. Gotta look on the bright side I guess.

Did you know these days you can give birth to a child if you're infected with HIV with a very low chance of passing it on if you take the drugs :shock: That makes no sense! The baby is literally growing from you. Pretty amazing stuff.

ashleygriffin
11-22-2011, 07:39 AM
It must have been a very shocking and life changing experience! Imagine, contracting HIV is not a simple sore throat that is self-limiting. The disease itself disables the immune system. That means that something like the common cold can be fatal for someone with HIV, and worst, it may likely to develop into AIDS after a decade.

What went wrong? Any health provider must be aware that patient's safety is the top priority. Health care professionals, may it be physicians, nurses or other healthcare team members must be PATIENT-CENTERED.

Now, can this be a malpractice case? Will they be held accountable? This reminds me of the article written by Mr. Haskell, a popular lawyer in Spokane WA that has won a bunch of million dollar legal claims. Please allow me to share it. Medical Mistakes -- A Primer on the Basics of Medical Malpractice. That will widen anyone's horizons about medical malpractice regarding some medical issues.

To conclude, not all claims connected with clinical practice are MEDICAL MALPRACTICE. There are so called legal aspects that must be considered before concluding the case even this exhibited issue of the infected organs. I hope this will not accrue because if not, it will be a bad sign for the health institutions. They should be considered a safe place for the sick and not a place for acquiring more diseases. Therefore, the saying, "to err is human, to forgive is divine" is not applicable in the medical field. Albeit it is applied generally, forgiving or ignoring healthcare errors in medicine is not acceptable.

Godfather
11-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Very articulate... but... Spam?

JoeyB
11-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Best spam EVER~!!

And if it is spam for that lawyer, I say, BURN HIM DOWN~!!

Otherwise, welcome Ashley Griffin.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM

My thoughts exactly....link removed

JoeyB
11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
My thoughts exactly....link removed

That exact article of hers has been posted in a few other places the last couple of months.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-22-2011, 10:57 PM
That exact article of hers has been posted in a few other places the last couple of months.

That's super odd spam by any stretch....I don't see the point of it, but :dunno:

Goofy
11-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I don't see the point of any spam....... surely no-one's stupid enough to click it anyway? Spammers are just wasting a whole lot of time afaic

Hal-9000
11-22-2011, 11:28 PM
So was Ashley's articulate post spam, or were her links?

I agree with whatever she says from now on :thumbsup:

JoeyB
11-22-2011, 11:53 PM
So was Ashley's articulate post spam, or were her links?

I agree with whatever she says from now on :thumbsup:

The links went to a really cheesy lawyer website...it gave the information she said it would, while showing a big picture of the lawyer in question and pimping out his skills.

I still say this spam was markedly better than the usual crap written by teenagers or people with only a slight grasp on English. That sort of spam is just insulting. At least someone put some effort into this.

Hal-9000
11-22-2011, 11:55 PM
and Ashley is pretty hot too :tup:

Of course not Martha Stewart hot, but close..

DemonGeminiX
11-22-2011, 11:57 PM
What? A lawyer's site? No baller jeans?

I feel cheated.

:sad2:

Hal-9000
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I never get spam emails at home....I can't think of one in the past 3 years :(

damn firewall/antivirus/FF/good surfing habits combination! :x

DemonGeminiX
11-23-2011, 12:00 AM
*Signs Hal's email up to a bunch of tranny mailing lists*

8-[

Hal-9000
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM
:hand:

those are on the allowable list...daily

DemonGeminiX
11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Now you're getting them twice daily.

:tup:

Muddy
11-23-2011, 12:41 AM
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/mediaManager/?controllerName=image&action=get&id=443342&width=628&height=471

Teh One Who Knocks
11-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I cut holes in all the pockets of my jeans to make my own :)

deebakes
11-23-2011, 02:25 AM
:doggybanana:

JoeyB
11-23-2011, 05:08 AM
*Signs Hal's email up to a bunch of tranny mailing lists*

8-[

He beat you to the punch on that, years ago.