PDA

View Full Version : Rick Perry calls Social Security a Ponzi Scheme

Acid Trip
08-29-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't disagree with him. I've already taken SS out of my retirement calculations. How lovely to pay into something (which is mandatory) and never reap the promised benefits.

Rick Perry says Social Security is a "Ponzi scheme" and a "monstrous lie"

By Corbett B. Daly

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20098635-503544.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Republican presidential candidate Rick Perry continued his attack on Social Security over the weekend, calling it a "Ponzi scheme" and a "monstrous lie" to younger Americans who should not expect to get back their contributions upon retirement.

"It is a Ponzi scheme for these young people. The idea that they're working and paying into Social Security today, that the current program is going to be there for them, is a lie," Perry said, according to the Houston Chronicle.

"It is a monstrous lie on this generation, and we can't do that to them," Perry told a crowd a The Vine Coffeehouse in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Perry has been no stranger to controversial remarks about the retirement program. In his recent book, Fed Up, Perry called Social Security a "Ponzi scheme" and said it was created "at the expense of respect for the Constitution and limited government."

Social Security was created in the wake of the Great Depression as part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's New Deal in an effort to create a mandatory retirement system for millions of workers.

Last week, a spokesman for the Texas governor's campaign told several media outlets, including the Wall Street Journal, that Perry's book was intended "as a review and critique of 50 years of federal excesses, not in any way as a 2012 campaign blueprint or manifesto." Those comments were seen as a softening of Perry's stance on Social Security.

Asked about his apparent backtrack later in Des Moines on Saturday, Perry said he did no such thing.

"I haven't backed off anything in my book. So read the book again and get it right," Perry told the reporter, according to the Chronicle.

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
So the baby boomers created a government-run Ponzi scheme by being born?

Brilliant assessment, dude.

:thumbsup:

Muddy
08-29-2011, 04:57 PM
It is a Ponzi scheme.. They are paying these old people with the money I'm contributing...

PorkChopSandwiches
08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/35kk5ly.jpg

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2011, 06:08 PM
It is a Ponzi scheme.. They are paying these old people with the money I'm contributing...

:-s

Those old people payed into it too. The fact that it is the baby boomers we're talking about and the fact that they're living longer is a testament to either genetics or improved health care. Whaddaya wanna do, man? Kill them all off?

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0812/fonzi-scheme-demotivational-poster-1229729298.jpg

Porky, you are just a terror with the missing hotlinks, man.

:lol:

Muddy
08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
:-s

Those old people payed into it too. The fact that it is the baby boomers we're talking about and the fact that they're living longer is a testament to either genetics or improved health care. Whaddaya wanna do, man? Kill them all off?

:lol:

Not at all.. It just appears to be a mismanaged Ponzi scheme.. Why aren't those people being paid the money they paid in, instead of what I am paying in?

PorkChopSandwiches
08-29-2011, 06:12 PM
hot linka stinka

DemonGeminiX
08-29-2011, 06:18 PM
Not at all.. It just appears to be a mismanaged Ponzi scheme.. Why aren't those people being paid the money they paid in, instead of what I am paying in?

I guess because early longevity estimates were off and what they payed in has all been used up already? I dunno. I agree, it's mismanaged. There should've been more thought put into it when it was set up, but how many things have come and gone that we can say the exact same thing about?

Shady
08-29-2011, 06:25 PM
It doesn't help that people are living longer and longer lives.

KevinD
08-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Iirc, when I first heard about SS looking towards being insolvent was in the 80's, and at the time it was because the government had used SS funds as "discretionary" funds...bad loans, outright theft, etc... I don't have any data to back that up, but I do remember reading about it back then.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-29-2011, 07:29 PM

Exactly...if they can't find a way to make it solvent without using our money that we're putting into it now, then they should stop deducting it from our paychecks.

FBD
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
:lol: more thought put into it being set up? you do remember the people who implemented this program, yes? 65 chiseled in stone was a feature, not a bug.

and it had nothing to do with their antecedents raiding the ever living shit out of the "trust fund."

and it for damn sure should be treated as a real debt, because yes it is a real debt, to the people, until such time as congress does away with it. whether that may or may not happen in the future is entirely irrelevant to the fact that it should be treated as debt as is right now. (that one's for you, deep.)

Acid Trip
08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
The problem is that everyone's contributions are put into a single pot. Let's look beyond the fact the pot has been raided and used as discretionary spending and focus on that one simple fact.

If we all had individual Social Security accounts we contributed to (and withdrew from) we'd never have this problem. If I pay in $300,000 over my lifetime I should never receive benefits beyond that amount. The way its setup now we have people taking out WAY more than they put in. Since people have overdrawn their contributions the excess money must come from somewhere (and it does), it's coming from you and I.

When you use new funds to pay out old obligations that's the definition of a ponzi scheme.

Edit: The old people who have taken more than they gave still feel they are still entitled to continued social security payments (aka our money), hence the nickname "entitlement program". The baby boomer generation left our country in the shittiest state in our nations history. They lived to excess and fucked everything up. Now they want to keep pulling more SS than they paid in like the greedy fucks they are.

RBP
08-29-2011, 10:40 PM
It's by definition a Ponzi scheme.