PDA

View Full Version : Father charged after throwing crying son overboard on tour boat

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 01:35 AM
By Michael Martinez, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/lvnWj.jpg

(CNN) -- A Southern California man allegedly hit his crying 7-year-old son and then threw him off on a tour boat in busy Newport Harbor, Orange County, authorities said Tuesday.

Sloane Briles, 35, of Irvine, California, has been charged with felony child endangerment and resisting arrest, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said. He was released Monday in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

Briles, who's divorced, was on the tour boat Sunday afternoon with his two sons, ages 6 and 7, when he got into an argument with his current girlfriend, said sheriff's office spokesman Jim Amormino.

The boat takes passengers past Newport Beach houses that are or were occupied by celebrities, including the home where the late John Wayne lived, Amormino said.

His 7-year-old son became upset about the argument and started crying, Amormino said.

The father took the boy to the bow of the boat and told him, " 'If you don't stop crying, I'm going to throw you overboard,' " Amormino said.

"And he hits the kid a couple of times," Amormino said. "The boy is crying. He picks him up and throws him overboard. They are in the middle of a harbor, and there is a lot of boat traffic."

The boy's life was endangered several ways, authorities said.

"The main one was throwing him off the front of the boat because the boat could run over him. There was the danger of him being hit by the prop. And the other danger is that because there are so many boats out there, it's no place to swim, and because he's so small, the other boats wouldn't have seen him," Amormino said.

The boy was also "only a fair swimmer," Amormino said.

"But luckily, three boats saw the kid and converged on him, and plucked him from the water," Amormino said.

"The father did jump in (after his son), but the crowd on the boat became angry when he was hitting the kid and became more angry when he threw him overboard," Amormino said. There were 85 people on the tour boat.

A sheriff's patrol boat responded to a call about the incident. After deputies boarded the tour boat, one of them suffered minor injuries to the hand and elbow during Briles' arrest, authorities said.

Deputies took the two boys to their harbor station and later turned them over to their mother, Amormino said.

Briles couldn't be reached for comment, and an attorney for him couldn't be immediately located, the sheriff's office said.

samarchepas
08-31-2011, 01:47 AM
Having kids should not be a right to everyone...

Southern Belle
08-31-2011, 02:04 AM
It's a wonder the crowd didn't beat the father's ass.

Hal-9000
08-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Having kids should not be a right to everyone...

I seriously think that some basic parental rules have to be instituted.To punish the parents when they cross these bizarre lines.
We've been reading far too many stories of deaths and abuse to children.

I realize that having children is a tough road....but ffs a 7 yr old crying? It happens you fukcing mook :x

deebakes
08-31-2011, 02:16 AM
"The father did jump in (after his son), but the crowd on the boat became angry when he was hitting the kid and became more angry when he threw him overboard," Amormino said.

the crowd only became more angry? i think people are too afraid to get involved in anyone's business but their own because of the fucked up shit that is going down out there nowadays.

Hal-9000
08-31-2011, 02:34 AM
the crowd only became more angry? i think people are too afraid to get involved in anyone's business but their own because of the fucked up shit that is going down out there nowadays.

We post emotionally at times in these threads...If I saw some guy throw a kid overboard and assumed he was the Dad (after watching him hit the kid) , I would seriously do one of two things:
throw the Dad overboard or jump in and do my best to help the child.Watching a child get thrown into a busy harbor is not an option for me...couldn't stand there

*I'm a pisces

deebakes
08-31-2011, 03:59 AM
me too :shock:

Godfather
08-31-2011, 06:11 AM
I think zodiac signs are the height of b.s. personally :lol: but then again I'm told Capricorns hate wild-schemes... anyways ...

I agree with Hal. I'm just surprised people refrained from tossing that prick in - how could you? I swear: cell-phone/CCTV cameras make us all too afraid to do what we need to anymore... Because I'm sure there were a half dozen people there who would gladly smash this guys face against a guard rail if they weren't likely to end up as the Bad Guy on the 6o'clock news.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Father accused of throwing son off boat says he was joking
By th CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) -- A father, who is accused of smacking his crying 7-year-old and throwing him off a moving boat, said he did nothing wrong.

Sloane Briles, 35, of Irvine, California, has been charged with felony child endangerment and resisting arrest, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

He was released Monday in lieu of a $100,000 bond.

Briles told CNN affiliate KTLA "we were having fun, it was a harbor cruise!" He said he did not hit his son and he "did nothing except jump in the water with my kid."

Briles, who's divorced, was on the tour boat Sunday afternoon with his two sons, ages 6 and 7, when he got into an argument with his current girlfriend, said sheriff's office spokesman Jim Amormino.

The boat takes passengers past Newport Beach houses that are or were occupied by celebrities, including the home where the late John Wayne lived, Amormino said.

His 7-year-old son became upset about the argument and started crying, Amormino said.

The father took the boy to the bow of the boat and told him, " 'If you don't stop crying, I'm going to throw you overboard,' " Amormino said.

"And he hits the kid a couple of times," Amormino said. "The boy is crying. He picks him up and throws him overboard. They are in the middle of a harbor, and there is a lot of boat traffic."

Briles disputed the police and witnesses account of the event and said it was just a joke.

"We jumped in together," Briles told the affiliate. " We thought it would be funny. We were just screwing around."

The boy's life was endangered several ways, authorities said.

"The main one was throwing him off the front of the boat because the boat could run over him. There was the danger of him being hit by the prop. And the other danger is that because there are so many boats out there, it's no place to swim, and because he's so small, the other boats wouldn't have seen him," Amormino said.

The boy was also "only a fair swimmer," Amormino said.

"But luckily, three boats saw the kid and converged on him, and plucked him from the water," Amormino said.

"The father did jump in (after his son), but the crowd on the boat became angry when he was hitting the kid and became more angry when he threw him overboard," Amormino said. There were 85 people on the tour boat.

A sheriff's patrol boat responded to a call about the incident. After deputies boarded the tour boat, one of them suffered minor injuries to the hand and elbow during Briles' arrest, authorities said.

Deputies took the two boys to their harbor station and later turned them over to their mother, Amormino said.

KevinD
08-31-2011, 02:10 PM

I like this deputy.

Acid Trip
08-31-2011, 03:28 PM
I like this deputy.

I second that.

Noilly Pratt
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Wether the dude jumped in with the kid or threw the kid overboard...it's still completely irresponsible parenting. The fact that he made excuses makes him even more irresponsible.

He needs to be separated from that kid, take anger management classes, and see a psychologist for a long time before he gets the privilege to even talk with him again.

Noilly Pratt
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
I know what I would do...because an incident at Wendy's was similar.

A customer was complaining about his burger, swearing loudly, and the guy beside him waiting for his food said "hey buddy I got kids here".

He started being even more belligerent, and aimed his anger towards the man and his "fuckin' kids". My bro and I stood up and told the guy to cool down. Then to our surprise we looked around and half the restaurant was standing with us as well! After the guy left, we all shook hands.

It just takes one to start it.

Hal-9000
08-31-2011, 05:58 PM
I think zodiac signs are the height of b.s. personally :lol: but then again I'm told Capricorns hate wild-schemes... anyways ...

I agree with Hal. I'm just surprised people refrained from tossing that prick in - how could you? I swear: cell-phone/CCTV cameras make us all too afraid to do what we need to anymore... Because I'm sure there were a half dozen people there who would gladly smash this guys face against a guard rail if they weren't likely to end up as the Bad Guy on the 6o'clock news.

pisces = good swimmers :rolleyes: