PDA

View Full Version : AT&T, T-Mobile pledge to bring 5,000 jobs to US

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
By JOELLE TESSLER, AP Technology Writer

WASHINGTON – AT&T Inc. is pledging to bring 5,000 wireless call center jobs, currently based abroad, back to the U.S. if it is allowed to proceed with its proposed $39 billion acquisition of T-Mobile USA.

The company is also promising that the merger would not result in any job losses for AT&T and T-Mobile USA wireless call center employees who are on the payroll in the U.S. when the deal closes.

AT&T's commitment to repatriate jobs comes as antitrust regulators at the Federal Communications Commission and the Justice Department ramp up their reviews of a combination that is certain to reshape the wireless industry's landscape.

AT&T, the nation's second-largest wireless carrier, is seeking government approval to buy T-Mobile USA, the fourth-largest, from Germany's Deutsche Telekom AG. The cash-and-stock transaction would catapult AT&T past Verizon Wireless to become the nation's largest wireless provider, and leave Sprint Nextel Corp. as a distant number three.

Although AT&T said it has not yet determined where the new U.S.-based jobs would be located, it promised they would offer "highly competitive wages and benefits." The company hopes this message will carry weight in Washington, where job creation is a top priority for the Obama administration as the nation faces the possibility of a recession heading into the 2012 election.

"At a time when many Americans are struggling and our economy faces significant challenges, we're pleased that the T-Mobile merger allows us to bring 5,000 jobs back to the United States and significantly increase our investment here," AT&T Chairman and Chief Executive Randall Stephenson said in a statement.

Beyond the call center operations, AT&T has said it does anticipate some workforce duplication after the deal closes, but expects to make reductions largely through natural attrition.

Opponents of the proposed merger, including public interest groups and Sprint, insist it will lead to fewer choices and higher prices for consumers by eliminating a carrier that offers lower rates and less expensive plans than competitors. They also fear the deal could jeopardize Sprint's future as an independent company and ultimately lead to a wireless industry duopoly.

AT&T and T-Mobile argue that the acquisition would benefit consumers. They say it would lead to fewer dropped and blocked calls and faster mobile Internet connections for subscribers by allowing the companies to combine their limited wireless spectrum holdings at a time when both are running out of airwaves to handle mobile apps, online video and other bandwidth-hungry services.

They also say the transaction would position AT&T to cover more than 97 percent of the U.S. population with its new high-speed, fourth-generation wireless service.

Finding more airwaves to keep up with the explosive growth of wireless broadband services and ensuring that all Americans have access to high-speed Internet connections are both top priorities of the FCC and the Obama administration.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 04:12 PM
Government sues to block AT&T, T-Mobile merger
By JOELLE TESSLER and PETE YOST, Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Justice Department officials say they've filed suit to block AT&T's $39 billion deal to buy T-Mobile USA.

The government contends that the acquisition of the No. 4 wireless carrier in the country by No. 2 AT&T would reduce competition and raise prices.

At a news conference Wednesday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the combination would result in tens of millions of consumers facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products.

Cole says the lawsuit seeks to ensure that everyone can continue to receive the benefits of competition.

FBD
08-31-2011, 04:15 PM
Government sues to block AT&T, T-Mobile merger
By JOELLE TESSLER and PETE YOST, Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Justice Department officials say they've filed suit to block AT&T's $39 billion deal to buy T-Mobile USA.

The government contends that the acquisition of the No. 4 wireless carrier in the country by No. 2 AT&T would reduce competition and raise prices.

At a news conference Wednesday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the combination would result in tens of millions of consumers facing higher prices, fewer choices and lower quality products.

Cole says the lawsuit seeks to ensure that everyone can continue to receive the benefits of competition.

is this suit part of the jobs bill? :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, companies merge all the time so they can hire MORE people :roll:

Acid Trip
08-31-2011, 04:16 PM
AT&T + T-Mobile would mean that all GSM phones (that use SIM cards) would be under a single name.

Verizon + Sprint would be the same thing except with CDMA based phones. Both are baaaaaad ideas. Who remembers Ma Bell and all that shit? It was terrible.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM

It says they are bringing jobs back to the US that are currently overseas, so yes, they would be hiring more people....American people ;)

Acid Trip
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM

They aren't hiring more people, they are proposing that they'll fire 5,000 people in India and replace them with US workers.

Edit: Lance beat me to it.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 04:18 PM
AT&T + T-Mobile would mean that all GSM phones (that use SIM cards) would be under a single name.

Verizon + Sprint would be the same thing except with CDMA based phones. Both are baaaaaad ideas. Who remembers Ma Bell and all that shit? It was terrible.

Trust me, I'm on T-Mobile now and I want nothing to do with AT&T...had them before, they suck.

Acid Trip
08-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Trust me, I'm on T-Mobile now and I want nothing to do with AT&T...had them before, they suck.

Did anyone here have Cingular? They were a fantastic wireless company that AT&T bought out and used to create AT&T wireless.

PorkChopSandwiches
08-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah Cingular was good, AT&T is garbage. I used Tmobile when sidekicks were out and it was decent

FBD
08-31-2011, 04:23 PM

did you miss the lawsuit reference? :dance:

DemonGeminiX
08-31-2011, 04:24 PM
I couldn't get a good signal where I live when I was on T-mobile. I loved their plans though. I guess that's what I get for living in the boonies.

I hear way too many horror stories about AT&T, so I stay far away. Verizon treats me good right now.

If I ever move to a bigger market, I may give T-mobile another shot... as long as this merger doesn't go through.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-31-2011, 04:26 PM
I couldn't get a good signal where I live when I was on T-mobile. I loved their plans though. I guess that's what I get for living in the boonies.

I hear way too many horror stories about AT&T, so I stay far away. Verizon treats me good right now.

If I ever move to a bigger market, I may give T-mobile another shot... as long as this merger doesn't go through.

I love T-Mobile, been with them about 6 or 7 years now. There is no place in metro Denver where I don't get coverage and I have to head up into the mountains and canyons before I lose my signal.

DemonGeminiX
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
I love T-Mobile, been with them about 6 or 7 years now. There is no place in metro Denver where I don't get coverage and I have to head up into the mountains and canyons before I lose my signal.

What kills me is that I live right down the street from a military base and I couldn't get a signal to save my life on T-mobile. I figured being so close to the base would be a shoe-in to making sure that you had a strong signal there... ya know, with all the service men and women they could get on contract...

FBD
08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
I had t mobile years ago, like 04? I got jack for service just about everywhere I went, so after about 2 weeks I said sayonara suckas!

NOT a fan of sprint at all, or at&t for that matter.

Acid Trip
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I have Sprint and while I may never have full bars (seriously, almost never) I always have at least 1 bar and can use my phone.

I visited a friend in SW Kansas a few months back and the only cell phone company that works there is Sprint. Every other phone becomes a paper weight.