PDA

View Full Version : German City Unveils "Prostitute Meter"

Teh One Who Knocks
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Streetwalkers get a nightly permit
NBC New York

http://i.imgur.com/5ro8R.jpg

Prostitution is legal in Germany, but collecting taxes from streetwalkers requires some creative efforts.

In Bonn, officials have unveiled a meter that prostitutes must pay roughly $8 into each night to get a nightly permit to practice the world's oldest profession. Freelance sex workers get an automated ticket, much like a parking slip, according to Der Spiegel. Officials say taxing prostitutes who work out of fixed locations is simple, but streetwalkers could easily avoid duties.

"It's not fair that some women who work in establishments like sex centers or sauna clubs are taxed only because we can find them more easily there," city spokeswoman Monika Frömbgen said.

Prostitution has been legal in Germany since 2002.

BUFAS, a sex worker advocacy group, called the flat fee unfair.

"We are against such special rules, and favor the legal equality of every worker, including in matters of taxes," said spokesperson Beate Leopold.

But Frömbgen contered that Bonn has a right to collect taxes, and this makes it possible.

"Communities have a bit of room to adjust their own taxes, and we are legally granted the right to levy these taxes," she said.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyu5sFzWLk8

Acid Trip
09-01-2011, 06:04 PM
The story is full of awesomeness. It's like a time card for hookers.

Hal-9000
09-01-2011, 08:52 PM
We have the GST here (goods & services tax)

8 bucks GST, awesome :lol:

Muddy
09-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Hell yes...

Hal-9000
09-01-2011, 08:55 PM
and the maker is Siemens :thumbsup:

Muddy
09-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Siemens also made the ovens that they cooked the jews in.. (I thought I saw on Discovery channel)

lost in melb.
09-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Knowing Germans, they'll pay this :thumbsup:

lost in melb.
09-02-2011, 01:58 AM
I wonder if you go to a prostitute in Germany for stress relief, whether you are entitled to a tax deduction :-k

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 02:11 AM
I wonder if you go to a prostitute in Germany for stress relief, whether you are entitled to a tax deduction :-k

Stop making sense :lol:

Joebob034
09-02-2011, 01:54 PM
This is bad news for ugly hookers

FBD
09-03-2011, 04:07 PM
:lol:

http://danieljmitchell.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/prostitute-parking-meters-what-will-the-germans-tax-next/

I suppose this is the point where I normally would make some snide comments about greedy politicians, or perhaps offer some analysis about the economic impact of taxation.

But this story is so bizarre that I can’t even get to that stage.

What happens if you’re just a regular motorist and you put money in the meter and press the wrong button?

And I know that most governments will put a boot on one of your tires to disable your car if you don’t pay your parking tickets. Does this mean hookers who don’t buy a street-walking pass will get a chastity belt? :rofl:

Does the city government also charge for use of the garages in the “consummation areas”? And when did it become the responsibility of German taxpayers to finance something like that?!?

And for the hookers in Dortmund who get their passes at the petrol station, do the mechanics check “under the hood” if they use full service? (okay, pretty lame, but I couldn’t resist)

Most important, will the politicians take this idea to its logical conclusion and put prostitute meters in Parliament? In other words, require politicians to put money in a meter before they try to buy support from interest groups by providing handouts and special preferences.

That’s one tax increase even I could support.