PDA

View Full Version : Muslims, police scuffle at Rye Playland over amusement park’s head scarf ban; 15 arrests made

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2011, 09:39 PM
CORINNE LESTCH AND BILL HUTCHINSON, NY DAILY NEWS WRITERS

http://i.imgur.com/1x5XD.jpg
'It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim,' says Dena Meawad.

Rye Playland was shut down Tuesday after cops scuffled with Muslims upset that women wearing head scarves were barred from the rides, witnesses said.

Fifteen people, including three women, were charged with disorderly conduct and assault in the chaos, authorities said.

The Westchester County park was packed with Muslims celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr - the holiday marking the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

One woman, Entisai Ali, began arguing with cops over the amusement park's head scarf, or hijab, rule, said Dena Meawad, 18, of Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

The ban, which is not Muslim specific, was imposed about 3 years ago mostly to prevent hats from falling onto the tracks of roller coasters and other rides, park officials said.

"The cops started getting loud with her and she started getting loud, too. They pushed her on the ground and arrested her," Meawad said.

Her cousin, Kareem Meawad, 17, went to try to protect the woman and was beaten by cops and also arrested, she added. Her brother, Issam Meawad, 20, was pushed to the ground and taken into custody when he tried to help his cousin, she said.

"She just wanted to get on a ride. That was it," Dena Meawad said of the initial confrontation. "It's clear, this all happened because we're Muslim."

John Hodges, chief inspector of Westchester County Public Safety, insisted that police did not use excessive force.

He said up to 100 cops from surrounding departments converged on the park.

Two park rangers were injured in the melee, prompting felony assault charges against two people arrested, officials said.

The ugly incident happened just after 1 p.m. The event was organized by the Muslim American Society of New York, and attracted 3,000 Muslims from Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Westchester County.

Ali's sister, Ayman Alrabah, 24, of Brooklyn said her husband, brother and father were all tackled by cops and put into handcuffs when they tried to help her sister.

Alrabah said she was unaware of the head-scarf rule until she and her sister tried to get on the park's Dragon Coasters.

"We requested a refund and all of a sudden an argument became a riot," Alrabah said. "Cops came. They were hitting my brother, my dad. My husband was on the floor and they were handcuffing him.

She said her 4-year-old son was "traumatized" by seeing his father arrested.

"They treated us like animals, like we were nothing," Alrabah said. "They came with their dogs and sticks. We came to have fun."

The park was closed for about two hours because of the fracas. It reopened at about 6 p.m.

Peter Tartaglia, deputy commissioner of Westchester County Parks, said the Muslim American Society of New York was warned in advance of the rule barring head scarves on rides for safety reasons.

"Part of our rules and regulations, which we painstakingly told them over and over again, is that certain rides you cannot wear any sort of headgear," Tartaglia said. "It's a safety issue for us on rides, it could become a projectile."

Many Muslims were given refunds as they left the park disappointed.

"In this heightened state of Islamaphobia, a woman wearing a hajib is an easy target these days," said Zead Ramadan, president of the Council on American-Islamic Relations - New York. "Unfortunately, this turned ugly due to a lot of miscommunication."

Griffin
09-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Maybe if they demonstrated how the end of the scarf could wrap around a railing and snap their head off like a dandelion blossom they would STFU.

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
for hats, scarves and other headwear....
ffs get on the same page Muslims, don't cry foul and take it personally all of the time

or maybe they need a live demo of Grif's statement?

Griffin
09-02-2011, 09:56 PM
or maybe they need a live demo of Grif's statement?

that's what would happen to them in their country :mrgreen:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2011, 10:00 PM
It's ridiculous...say 'boo' to a Muslim and they scream foul. And they wonder why people don't like them FFS.

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 10:21 PM
:shock:

You made fun of Allah's first born son, Boo

Off with his head!!! :x

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2YvKh.png

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
The dance continues to mystify me...

1.Nation of Islam religion - supposedly peaceful
2.Editorial cartoon mocking violent acts already committed by followers of above religion

3.always = new death threats

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2011, 10:47 PM
The dance continues to mystify me...

1.Nation of Islam religion - supposedly peaceful
2.Editorial cartoon mocking violent acts already committed by followers of above religion

3.always = new death threats

They are peaceful :nono:

So long as you believe and do everything they say :)

Griffin
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
I just snickered, I didn't comment.:rolleyes:

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 10:51 PM
They are peaceful :nono:

So long as you believe and do everything they say :)

and that's another thing...I know and work with some Muslim dudes and when we read about stuff like that they say - Those people are not true Muslim followers.

They seem to be genuinely disgusted and embarrassed to be associated with them on any level

Teh One Who Knocks
09-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I just snickered, I didn't comment.:rolleyes:

There will be a great Jihad on you :x

Griffin
09-02-2011, 10:59 PM
:nana:

deebakes
09-02-2011, 11:16 PM
don't like it, don't go there and :stfu:

Hal-9000
09-02-2011, 11:21 PM
There will be a great Jihad on you :x

I had a great Jihad once on my penis....went to the doctor and got it LANCED.

all better now :dance:

DemonGeminiX
09-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Last week, a few beef tacos declared Jihad on my digestive system. The fuckers won, too.

:no:

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Last week, a few beef tacos declared Jihad on my digestive system. The fuckers won, too.

:no:

I thought of you today...a trucker came in and told me that his buddy was given some beef last weekend.They BBQ'ed it and all 3 guys were sick the night they ate it.He said he still isn't feeling well a week later.

As a person who's suffered some pretty rough stomach problems for 3 years now, I can sympathize completely.

Southern Belle
09-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Maybe it's like the extremist Christians who the rest of don't care about.

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm telling ya...I'm going to create my Black Balaclava religion, get it sanctioned and then go to the Middle East and wear it everywhere!

Then I'll file complaints when asked to take it off or if I feel I'm getting discriminated against when applying for jobs that I don't really want.

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2011, 12:40 AM
I thought of you today...a trucker came in and told me that his buddy was given some beef last weekend.They BBQ'ed it and all 3 guys were sick the night they ate it.He said he still isn't feeling well a week later.

As a person who's suffered some pretty rough stomach problems for 3 years now, I can sympathize completely.

Man, I hate barbecued beef. It just doesn't ever seem to turn out right to me.

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Steak included?

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I don't know what it is about barbecue and beef (at least barbecue as I know it... slow smoked, not grilled), but it just never really works as well as barbecued pork to me.

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
We grill stuff on the BBQ, not many Canadians smoke their food.I don't care for pork other than a nice ham cooked in the oven...oh, and of course BACON :homer:

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2011, 12:49 AM
See, I love a grilled steak, but I don't consider that barbecue. I'm used to calling smoked meat "barbecue" because I've been eating at various southern barbecue pits for the past 20 years and that's what barbecue is down here... low and slow smoked.

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Yeah that's what always throws me...some southern folk call the food itself BBQ and some folks like you mention, consider the action of smoking meat slowly as BBQ..
when to us, the device used to cook the meat is a BBQ and the food is always cooked over coals on a grill.

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Everybody's got their own definition. If you talk to our Texan friends on here, I'm pretty sure they'd tell you that beef on a grill is barbecue. Then you got the St. Louis, east Carolina, and west Carolina schools of thought where it's not just smoked pork, but it's also the type of sauce you put on it that makes it barbecue. It's weird, but it works.

Hal-9000
09-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Ours is simple..

you got some meat

you either cook it indoors or on the BBQ (grill over coals, I don't believe they sell any other type)

We have quite literally had BBQ's all winter long, even in -20C weather.Because in this part of the world, we don't cook steak in a pan.I'm not trying to be insulting, it's just something that isn't done to good cuts of meat up here in cattle country.

DemonGeminiX
09-03-2011, 01:12 AM
That's understandable. Different places have different methods. I was taught that a steak is seared in a cast iron skillet on both sides then finished in the oven if you weren't cooking it on a grill.

If I recall correctly, Lance will pan sear a steak, but doesn't bother with the oven.

Griffin
09-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Allow me to educate the uneducated.
It's all about temperature.
Grilling is the act of cooking meat at high direct heat, searing the flesh on both sides quickly thereby keeping the moisture in.
BBQ is low indirect heat for longer periods. If you place the meat fat side up, the grease will soak through the grain preventing drying out.

deebakes
09-03-2011, 04:37 AM
am i supposed to read something into talking about bbq'ing and muslims? :-k

Griffin
09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
would you rather the topic was bbq'ing and jews?

deebakes
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
:hand:

not cool dude :nono: