View Full Version : Facebook date used me as a getaway driver, says Leah Gibbs

Teh One Who Knocks
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
News.com.au

http://i.imgur.com/04NNR.jpg

Date asked woman to drive to betting shop
He runs out with cash, screams "drive"
Didn't say he was a criminal on Facebook

YOU know your date's gone wrong when you end up as the getaway driver in a robbery.

This is what happened to Leah Gibbs, 23, after she decided to hook up with a man she met on Facebook.

She thought he was going to wine and dine her; he had other plans.

At the start of the date, Adam Minton, 21, asked Ms Gibbs to drive him to a nearby betting shop (always a good sign) and she agreed to wait in the car outside.

Minutes later he ran out of the Ladbrokes, in Rhondda, South Wales, with a knife in one hand and a bag full of money in the other. Once in the car, he screamed: "Drive, drive, drive."

Minton ordered Ms Gibbs back to his house and then tried to bundle her inside.

It was at that point that she decided the date was over. The police thought so too and swooped on the house and arrested both of them.

Ms Gibbs spent the rest of her evening in a police cell. She was set free only after Minton admitted he had acted alone.

At Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court, Minton said he had racked up thousands of pounds of debt through an addiction to cocaine, details that he had kept out of his Facebook profile. He was jailed for four and a half years.

Ms Gibbs told The Sun: "It was a date from hell." She also rather improbably told the paper: "I thought I'd be ending the night in Adam's arms. Instead, he had landed in the long arms of the law."