PDA

View Full Version : Shark fin soup faces extinction in California

Teh One Who Knocks
09-04-2011, 01:43 PM
By Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/cgSEs.jpg

(CNN) -- A Chinese delicacy may soon disappear from California restaurants if a bill to ban the sale of shark fins makes it through the state Senate.

A symbol of wealth and luxury, shark fin soup was once prized by Chinese emperors for its rarity. Today, it's typically served at weddings and banquets to demonstrate a host's good fortune.

But it comes at a high price, for one's wallet and the environment. Shark fins, which fetch up to $600 per pound, are sometimes acquired through the controversial practice of finning: a shark's fins are cut off and the rest of its body is tossed into the ocean.

California, home to 1.1 million Chinese-Americans, is one of the largest importers of shark fins outside Asia. The California Shark Protection Act would make it illegal to possess, sell or trade shark fins.

The state Senate is expected to take up the legislation next week.

The issue goes beyond animal welfare, the bill's supporters say. Most sharks are at the top of the marine food pyramid, according to Shark Alliance, a global, not-for-profit coalition of non-governmental organizations. Tens of millions of sharks are killed each year, either intentionally or as a bycatch of fishing operations, threatening the balance of ocean ecosystems.

"It's time to stop serving a soup that is driving sharks to extinction," says Assemblymember Paul Fong, one of the bill's sponsors. "The cultural issue is very minor compared to the major environmental devastation of eliminating sharks for our world's oceans. Chinese Americans are environmentally conscious -- we believe in harmony with nature and it's in our culture to support protecting the environment."

Critics of the bill say it unfairly singles out the Chinese community. The bill only restricts the sale of shark fins, which are used almost exclusively in Chinese cuisine. The bill does not apply to other shark products like oil or meat.

"I think for the ban to be culturally blind it has to ban all the products that have to do with sharks, shark meat, shark oil," says Vicky Ching, the owner of Ming's Restaurant in San Francisco.

Ching pulled shark fin soup from the menu last year as criticism of finning grew, but she says she still serves it on request.

Not all lawmakers support the legislation. Assemblymember Mike Eng said there was a lack of dialogue with the Chinese community before the bill was introduced.

"Give our community the opportunity to realize how bad it is to request shark's fin at a restaurant. That has not been done. Instead what we have is legislation that's been, that's going to be forced down our throats," Eng said. "I don't think that's reasonable, I don't think that's going to lead to better conduct and I don't think that's necessary."

Diners at Ming's Restaurant on a recent weekday afternoon were also divided on the issue.

"It seems to me that it's such a part of the Chinese culture, I'd like to see it preserved," one man said.

On the other hand, "We're in the U.S.," a female diner said. "We have so many foods to eat, why kill a shark for a little fin?"

Godfather
09-04-2011, 06:09 PM
They just cut the fins off and toss them back to drown :wha: It's totally unsustainable, and unlike other hunts that people complain are unethical like seals (where almost all of the seal is used in some way), most of the shark just goes to waste with finning. At least the US and some countries are tightening legislation, but the global industry as a whole is going to make certain sharks go extinct.

I work for a Chinese guy who owns the brokerage. He was telling me about how he feels it's wrong to eat, but that when they go out for dinner the family always orders it, so he eats it to 'not be rude', and doesn't understand why some of his other family members won't eat it when it has already been made.

I want to just say get a backbone man.... Between that and his irritating superstitions about EVERYTHING, I definitely feel a cultural rift between us. :lol:

To be fair, most of the time it's funny or interesting. But for shit like eating shark-fin soup I just don't get it.

Hal-9000
09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
They just cut the fins off and toss them back to drown :wha: It's totally unsustainable, and unlike hunts that some complain is unethical like seal for example (where almost all of the seal is used in some way), most of the shark just goes to waste with finning.

I work for a Chinese guy who owns the brokerage. He was telling me about how he feels it's wrong to eat, but that when they go out for dinner the family always orders it, so he eats it to 'not be rude', and doesn't understand why some of his other family members won't eat it still.

I want to just say get a backbone man.... Between that and his irritating superstitions about EVERYTHING (for example, if business is quiet and I say "it's dead around here" he gets angry and says "Don't say 'dead'", I definitely feel a cultural rift between us.

To be fair, most of the time it's good, funny, interesting. But for shit like eating shark-fin soup

Tell him the feng shui is all wrong in the office and he should install mirrors on an angle over the toilets...it'll drive him nuts, trust me :lol:

Godfather
09-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Tell him the feng shui is all wrong in the office and he should install mirrors on an angle over the toilets...it'll drive him nuts, trust me :lol:

:lol: What's the deal with the mirrors?

Hal-9000
09-04-2011, 06:33 PM
It's all about bad and good energies...water in particular has to be 'flowing' correctly.Some folks add fountains and little rivers indoors to help with the problem

Tell him you feel weird walking past the toilet, trust me :lol:

Hal-9000
09-04-2011, 06:35 PM
oh...and if you have a narrow hallway, try and stack some boxes in odd places, differing heights, all along the hall...

if he's a believer in feng shui you'll know right away :lol:

Godfather
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
:rofl: Oh man this is priceless. I now have a new mission

Hal-9000
09-04-2011, 06:52 PM
I have to have rooms set up a certain way....

:oops:

deebakes
09-04-2011, 07:12 PM
good riddance...

Godfather
09-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I hear it's delicious if you can get over the whole ethical issue :lol:

I'm nowhere near a vegetarian and I'll eat almost anything but there are a few things that gross me out. For example: Lamb is delicious, but they're cute and were my favorite thing at the petting zoo as a child... just can't do it :lol:

JoeyB
09-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Tell him you feel weird walking past the toilet, trust me :lol:

Evil.

But meant as a compliment Halwynn.