PDA

View Full Version : Colorado teen's legs severed trying to 'hop' train

Teh One Who Knocks
09-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Web Staff FOX31 Denver

LONGMONT, Colo. -- A 17-year-old girl lost both of her legs after trying to climb aboard a moving train with three friends on Monday, authorities said.

The incident happened in Longmont just after 1 p.m. when, according to Longmont Police commander Jeff Satur, four people ages 17 to 25 attempted to board a Burlington Northern freight train at 3rd Ave. and Atwood St.

The 17-year-old student at Colorado State University fell and slipped underneath the train. Police say she is not from Colorado.

She was transported to Longmont United Hospital by ambulance and then flown to Denver Health Medical Center.

Doctors say the teen is in stable condition, but she needed to have both legs amputated.

Satur says no alcohol or drugs are suspected in this incident.

A witness says a nurse who was in a car and saw what happened may have saved the girl's life. "She was like the real hero in the whole thing," Brian Elwanger says. "She took control and if it wasn't for her, I don't think it would've went down the way it did."

A woman who made a 911 call told the dispatcher she's an EMT. She got out of her car and went to help while talking to the dispatcher.

"The girl was very brave. Considering what happened, her biggest concern was that her parents were going to be upset," Elwanger says.

A 21-year-old man from Broomfield was the first to get on the train. He left the scene without being contacted by police. Satur says investigators have identified him.

A 17-year-old male from Ft. Collins was the second to get on the train. Satur says he jumped off after traveling across 3rd Ave. He received slight abrasions to his left arm and was treated at the scene.

The girl who was severely injured was the third person in the group to try to get on the train.

Charles Hamilton, age 25 of Gillette, Wyo. did not get on the train. Satur says he pulled the girl from under the train to a nearby parking area.

The two males who were still with the girl were cited for trespassing.

DemonGeminiX
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I hopped a train with a few friends once when I was a kid. It was kind of dumb. Went maybe 200 yards before we said "this is gay", jumped off, and went and got a pizza.

Poor girl.

Loser
09-06-2011, 05:26 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/1z3qw55.jpg

JoeyB
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
It's odd...but when I read this was a girl I immediately felt compassion for her. Which I would not have felt for a boy. Hmm...something for me to think about.

In the meantime...what a waste...seventeen and legless because of a stupid stunt. Lucky she's alive actually.

Griffin
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The two males who were still with the girl were cited for trespassing.

Why wasn't she given a trespassing ticket?
Surely the prosecutors know if it went to court she wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Griffin
09-06-2011, 10:55 PM
don't give me that look...you all know you wanted to go there.

minz
09-06-2011, 10:58 PM
:popcorn:

JoeyB
09-06-2011, 11:52 PM
don't give me that look...you all know you wanted to go there.

I have my standards...

...right down in the gutter where yours are, apparently.

deebakes
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
:rip: calves :(