PDA

View Full Version : Police arrest 2 over possible bomb plot in Germany

Teh One Who Knocks
09-08-2011, 12:00 PM
By the CNN Wire Staff

http://i.imgur.com/euVDz.jpg

Berlin (CNN) -- German police arrested two men in Berlin on suspicion of plotting a bomb attack, police said Thursday.

A 24-year-old German of Lebanese descent and a 28-year-old man from Gaza had tried to obtain chemicals that can be used to make a bomb, Berlin Police press officer Martin Otter told CNN.

Police do not believe the suspects had a specific target, he said.

Officers are searching an Islamic cultural institution and two other addresses in Berlin, he added.

Law enforcement had been monitoring the men for months, police spokesman Thomas Neuendorf told CNN. He said the pair came under suspicion after they sought to acquire a large amount of cooling agent.

The arrests were made in the Kreuzberg and Neukoelln districts of Berlin, Neuendorf told reporters outside the Islamic center.

The center was being searched because police believed the suspects might have stored some chemical material there as it had a lot of space, he added.

So far many papers had been found but no explosives, Neuendorf said. The public prosecutor's office for Berlin is investigating the case, he added.

Berlin resident Annette Suessmuth, 25, told CNN she was concerned for the safety of her two young children after the arrests.

"I am shocked. Normally I go here very often for shopping. I don't feel safe anymore," she said.

With the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on the United States only three days away, many security services around the world are on a heightened state of alert.