PDA

View Full Version : Your Current Phone? Pros and Cons?

Jezter
02-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I just thought to ask around what kind of phones people are using these days. What do you like about your phone and what you don't? What do you look for in your future phone?

Foxdana
02-20-2011, 09:21 AM
I have an LG Viewty that I've had for two+ years, The touch screen was the main problem , it couldn't keep up with my texting. I'm now getting a HTC Legend. My son knows so much more about these things and told me this is a really good phone with a good touch screen.

Jezter
02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
So you are no interested in what kind of operating system it runs and what specs it has? You look for a phone that is good for texting and not so keen on gaming/net browsing with it? Wouldn't a phone with a full QWERTY keyboard then come in handy if texting is what you like to do?

Foxdana
02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
I am so used to texting by numbers now that it doesn't really matter, I was looking for something that has a decent touch screen and could access facebook, I'm easy otherwise! I am only just getting the idea that there are different OS for phones, my son says Android is the best, and this was the best for the phone cap I wanted!! I guess I'll find out when I get it!

redred
02-20-2011, 11:42 AM
mine is the HTC wildfire http://www.htc.com/uk/product/wildfire/specification.html

its an entry level Android phone now running the 2.2 operating system which (sorry jez) after coming from the nokia os is a dream ,i didn't want an iphone as everyone has them and was looking for something different and within my price range, i'm finding lots of free apps for everything i need and can custom the phone to my needs , cons i would say would be battery life like any other smartphone , the camera is ok for fun shots but for 5mp i expected a little better and because of the CPU Processing Speed of 528 MHz rather than the 1gig ones of the top of the range android phones i do see some apps that aren't
available or don't run as smooth as they should

the next phone..... tbh i'll stick to the same os now and may even stick with the HTC brand so who knows

Vixen
02-20-2011, 11:54 AM
mine's a Nokia 3600 nowt overly fancy but then I don't waste money using it to access the net....I have my laptop for that, I only use my phone for texting and calling the camera's ok....I like my phone's to have a good battery life so it's usually Nokia's I go for, I also like them to be compact so I can easily fit them in a small bag/pocket.....not looking for a new one yet but it will probs end up being another Nokia simfree so I can keep my number and I only ever use Pay as you Go because I only top up every 3mths and then only about £25-£30

Yt Trash
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I've had an Iphone since their inception. I like them. I like the ease of use. I know there are Iphone haters out there and in this forum, but so what. It works for me. So what that it don't play flash movies. It hasn't bothered me enough to stay away from them. There are more apps available for them that anyone can think of. They are simple to use and functional to what I need. I always have a camera and video camera on hand.

BTW, I'm not one of those Iphone users that upgrades every time a new one comes out, I've owned the original, had it for a year and a half, sunk it in a canoe incident thanks to my wife. Got a 3g had it up until the 4 came out last year. It was a big leap going from the 3g to the 4, and since I'm an original Iphone user, I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data plan. Now you pay for 2gig of info and so on with the new plans and phones.

I had my 3g jailbroken with Cidia and used it as a modem for my laptop. Haven't done it with the 4 yet, haven't had the need to.

Starchild
02-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Samsung tocco. Pro's - big screen, con's - I still don't understand how it works after owning it for 3 years!

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm using my old MOTO vu204. Had a bb that I loved but doesn't work well in rural areas. I haven't decided what to get next but it will likely be something from Motorola.
I'd love a smartphone with android OS, but not if I have to sacrifice call quality.

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Blackberry Curve 8900
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rr9glf.jpg

Solid phone, I've had it for a year and a half. With a software update to OS 5 it's really great to use. Awesome for organization, email and SMS, fast, I love the look and feel of it. I also like that RIM is a Canadian company, and their phones are highly professional and respectable.

Pros
Blackberry Messenger (huge pro for myself)
Strong software and layout
Slim, still the thinnest RIM phone
Wi-fi and GPS
3.2mp camera w/ flash
Full QWERTY keyboard (I don't like touch for typing still)

Cons
Blackberry lacks the recreational apps Apple and Droid carry
The track-ball is dated and newer Blackberry's have the nice optical track pad
No 3G

I've sadly got a three year contract and can't see keeping this phone for another 18 months. So I will have to decide whether I go Droid or Blackberry in the next year or so. Hard choice. I can't explain how much fun I've had with BBM and how awesome that is. But the lack of apps make it a boring phone sometimes.

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Blackberry Curve 8900
http://i54.tinypic.com/2rr9glf.jpg

Solid phone, I've had it for a year and a half. With a software update to OS 5 it's really great to use. Awesome for organization, email and SMS, fast, I love the look and feel of it. I also like that RIM is a Canadian company, and their phones are highly professional and respectable.

Pros
Blackberry Messenger (huge pro for myself)
Slim, still the thinnest RIM phone
Wi-fi and GPS
3.2mp camera w/ flash
Full QWERTY keyboard (I don't like touch for typing still)

Cons
Blackberry lacks the recreational apps Apple and Droid carry
The track-ball is dated and newer Blackberry's have the nice optical track pad
No 3G

I've sadly got a three year contract and can't see keeping this phone for another 18 months. So I will have to decide whether I go Droid or Blackberry in the next year or so. Hard choice. I can't explain how much fun I've had with BBM and how awesome that is. But the lack of apps make it a boring phone sometimes.

It's designed for business use.

Hal-9000
02-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Nokia C3

http://i.imgur.com/kn2Aj.jpg

I bought this phone for a reason, no smartphone capabilities :lol:
It has wifi, email etc...but I've had all of that disconnected.

PROS

- price, it's 50-80 dollars.
- solid, heavy metallic construction
- NO onscreen touch
- large qwerty keys
- loud, clear voice both ways
- 6 main keys can be programmed with shortcuts, as well as 3 onscreen shortcuts
- looks like a fancy phone :lol:
- simple, works well, no BS

CONS

- numberpad on qwerty keypad can be hard to see
- lame camera and video
- not a smartphone, so less that great for data plans :lol:
- made by people like Jezter

Godfather
02-20-2011, 09:14 PM
It's designed for business use.

Well yeah :lol: All blackberry's are fairly business oriented.

But their popularity at least amongst my friends who range from students to bankers is huge.

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Well yeah :lol: All blackberry's are fairly business oriented.

But their popularity at least amongst my friends who range from students to bankers is huge.
They should come up with a phone for the "younger" market.

spud
02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
im on a blackberry bold these days 24 month contract not sure i should have signed up that long good phone internet can be slow sometimes though.

Hal-9000
02-20-2011, 09:29 PM
I've always felt a computer is for net surfing and emails...I have a desktop pc at work and home so I'm covered that way.

I pay under 30 dollars a month for almost unlimited voice and texts so in my world, that's pretty cheap for a 3 year plan.

Godfather
02-20-2011, 09:43 PM
They should come up with a phone for the "younger" market.

Perhaps, but how would it be different? The BB Pearl is slim, small and not a full keyboard, it probably fits that mold best

But they're never going to have the app store Droid and Apple have, that's not their selling point. And I'm fine with that, I like Blackberry's for other reasons.

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Perhaps, but how would it be different? The BB Pearl is slim, small and not a full keyboard, it probably fits that mold best

But they're never going to have the app store Droid and Apple have, that's not their selling point. And I'm fine with that, I like Blackberry's for other reasons.That's cool then. As long as you like it.

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 09:46 PM
I've always felt a computer is for net surfing and emails...I have a desktop pc at work and home so I'm covered that way.

I pay under 30 dollars a month for almost unlimited voice and texts so in my world, that's pretty cheap for a 3 year plan.
I can check my email from my phone and that's really all I need.

Binky
02-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Blackberry Bold 9700
http://media.gdgt.com/img/product/16/cnw/blackberry-bold-9700-tmq-460.jpg
Pros:
Has a sensor track ball, doesn't have the problems the previous trackballs had
Email & all that fun stuff
Sturdy
full keyboard- good for text messaging

Cons:
Not a slim little phone, same as the other blackberry phones

hmm... it's not a bad phone

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 10:47 PM
My bb Tour is just like it.

Godfather
02-21-2011, 07:43 AM
My bb Tour is just like it.

Tour has the trackball though right!? I almost bought one, mine is basically the smaller version of the tour

Damn lots of blackberry... we should start a BBM/PIN group if we get a couple more :lol: I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome :thumbsup:

Jezter
02-21-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd love a smartphone with android OS, but not if I have to sacrifice call quality.
Call quality has virtually nothing to do with the OS. It is 99% hardware related. It is about the antenna quality, placement and ofcourse then the speaker and mic. What the OS does to that then is that it controls the signal levels, but if the hardware is shitty, what can you do. Since we can't pump out huge amounts of power or our ears would fry. So you can still have smartphone, Android or any other, as long as you make sure the phone is quality. Nokia is famous for excellent quality hardware. Sadly, the software is not up to par...yet...in the smartphone business. In dumbphone business, they still pwn.

CONS

- made by people like Jezter
Ouch. :(

I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome :thumbsup:
That is pretty awesome, I have to say that.

Southern Belle
02-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Tour has the trackball though right!? I almost bought one, mine is basically the smaller version of the tour

Damn lots of blackberry... we should start a BBM/PIN group if we get a couple more :lol: I love Blackberry Messenger because not only is it 100% free and doesn't use up data, it's quite private. Aside from your profile name which you can chose (mine is only my given name, no surname), there's no personal information tied into it and the PIN code is unique to the phone, not you. Pretty awesome :thumbsup:
Yeah, it has a trackball.

Call quality has virtually nothing to do with the OS. It is 99% hardware related. It is about the antenna quality, placement and ofcourse then the speaker and mic. What the OS does to that then is that it controls the signal levels, but if the hardware is shitty, what can you do. Since we can't pump out huge amounts of power or our ears would fry. So you can still have smartphone, Android or any other, as long as you make sure the phone is quality. Nokia is famous for excellent quality hardware. Sadly, the software is not up to par...yet...in the smartphone business. In dumbphone business, they still pwn.

Ouch. :(

That is pretty awesome, I have to say that.
I understand about software vs hardware, but it seems smartphones are geared more toward apps & bells & whistles rather than making sure antenna placement is optimal. And, I haven't been able to find anybody or anywhere that addresses this issue.

Jezter
02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Yeah, it has a trackball.

I understand about software vs hardware, but it seems smartphones are geared more toward apps & bells & whistles rather than making sure antenna placement is optimal. And, I haven't been able to find anybody or anywhere that addresses this issue.
Well...to have those bells and whistles to work, smartphones are connected to the Net at all times basically..so they do indeed need a good signal. Except if we talk about iPhone and its antenna fiasco...that is what happens once you stop copying what Nokia was doing with their antennas and put more effort into the bells and whistles, which they then lock so you can't fully utilize what the phone could be capable of doing...and so you end up with an iPhone. :P
You should maybe look into some Nokias? They are traditionally very good with the signal and such and if most "surfin" you do is email, then Nokias can do that just as well as any others. Or you could even go as far as getting a femtocell for your home and that way ensure a good signal.

Tank
02-23-2011, 10:25 AM
i have an iphone 4 right now. but am NOT an apple snob, only reason for getting it was they were gonna charge for HTC's and the dude said he could do my iphone for free. im tight so went with it!

i've never had any of the call dropping problems that was made such a scandal. as soon as i got the phone i got a protective case on it as you'd be mad not to with all its smooth shiny surface. and i dont hold it like you have to to get the call drop, but would love to meet the guy who said "i know, lets put the phone antenna in the bottom of the phone" and give him a :nutkick:

the only Con i have isnt down to the phone, the area i live in is right at the end of the signal range so i only really get one or two bars MAX on a good day, was the same with my old Nokia, but like i said thats not down to the phone, but if im at home i just use the wi-fi for web stuff.

have had HTC's in the past and am a big fan of them. if i dont stick with an iphone when my upgrade is next due it will probably be a HTC. i couldnt give a rats ass about what operating system my next phone runs. i use it as a phone and PDA, sometimes a satnav, but beyond that its a phone! yes its nice to have some bells and whistles but im not bothered that much about them. i think i have about 10 apps on mine.

Mick
02-23-2011, 10:48 AM
HTC Desire - Android 2.2

pros - love it!
cons- battery :(

Noilly Pratt
02-23-2011, 03:25 PM

I agree, Hal. I just want to surf the net on my phone in emergencies...vacationing in the woods etc. So my phone is the LG Rumour 2, and I "pay as I go". It has a QWERTY keyboard that slides out for easy texting...though it's my wife who's the texter, not me.

http://i53.tinypic.com/24mx02f.pnghttp://i52.tinypic.com/2ex6nav.png

This is a nice, just a step up from the bottom phone. 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth (syncs with my Garmin GPS in the car) Adequate sound quality. I put in a 4GB Micro SD card and I've not come close to filling it yet. I like being able to program the arrows to do whatever functions I want them to do. I love the built-in EZ Tip calculator and it has a good quality speakerphone.

I used to have a Samsung phone that was one of the first camera phones, which had GREAT sound quality. Still have it, but didn't like paying $40 to Bell for a phone I hardly used. This one barely costs me $20 a month and I got the phone at FutureShop at a scratch and dent sale - there's a hairline scratch on the back of the thing that you'd never see so I bought the phone for $25 instead of the $80 they wanted for no plan.

Hal-9000
02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree, Hal. I just want to surf the net on my phone in emergencies...vacationing in the woods etc. So my phone is the LG Rumour 2, and I "pay as I go". It has a QWERTY keyboard that slides out for easy texting...though it's my wife who's the texter, not me.

http://i53.tinypic.com/24mx02f.pnghttp://i52.tinypic.com/2ex6nav.png

This is a nice, just a step up from the bottom phone. 1.3MP camera, Bluetooth (syncs with my Garmin GPS in the car) Adequate sound quality. I put in a 4GB Micro SD card and I've not come close to filling it yet. I like being able to program the arrows to do whatever functions I want them to do. I love the built-in EZ Tip calculator and it has a good quality speakerphone.

I used to have a Samsung phone that was one of the first camera phones, which had GREAT sound quality. Still have it, but didn't like paying $40 to Bell for a phone I hardly used. This one barely costs me $20 a month and I got the phone at FutureShop at a scratch and dent sale - there's a hairline scratch on the back of the thing that you'd never see so I bought the phone for $25 instead of the $80 they wanted for no plan.

Exactly...a user has to be honest and say - what do I really need the phone for?

I'm atypical of most phone users because I only want...a phone :lol:

The one I use would be great for kids as they're sturdy, not really for data and a total messaging phone.
So the kid could have a reliable phone (battery life is awesome without net stuff, once every 5 days to plug in)
that texts with a full keyboard.

I know guys at work that pay 80 or 100 a month for Blackberrys and they only use the phone functions...and the other stuff to look cool :lol:
If you have to browse or email on the run, then getting a high ender like an HTC or blackberry is of course necessary.

Jezter
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
If you only want to check email and surf a little, a high-ender is most definitely not needed... pretty much all phones do those these days... It is sad how the high-end phones end up being used like gameboys really. It is all about how many apps you can shove in it... so why don't these people just get a PSP ffs.

Hal-9000
02-23-2011, 05:47 PM
the only useful app I miss is GPS

Jezter
02-23-2011, 05:55 PM
GPS is a feature more than an app...

Muddy
04-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Lovin' the iphone fellas.. Sorry. :oops:

MrsM
04-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread.

I had a BB Pearl - it sucks - don't get it. the keyboard wasn't nice to type on and the screen was small.

I now have the BB bold 9700
Biggest Pro - work pays for it
Biggest Con - I'm expected to be available 24/7 X 7

But as far as the phone goes the quality is great, the screen is bright and sharp, the battery lasts a long time (I only charge it every 5 days or so)

It is big (the torch is bigger)- web browsing sucks.

There are more toys on the iphone - but BB's are great for business.

Lambchop
04-08-2011, 05:29 PM
This cost me £79.99 and I think it is the best *value for money* smartphone currently on the market. It can also be unlocked for free :mrgreen:

http://i51.tinypic.com/nva4wz.jpg

600 MHz CPU
512 MB RAM
3" 480 x 800 Capacitive Touchscreen Display
3.2 MP Camera
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/GPS/accelerometer/etc.

Comes with Android 2.1 but you can install 2.3.3 from the internet and there is also an application to safely overclock the CPU.

Jezter
04-08-2011, 06:05 PM
That is a good, basic smartphone Lamby. And by the looks of it, it has 2.2 as stock cuz of the icons and livewallpaper... and I see you have discovered the beauty of android and custom ROMs since you talk about getting 2.3.3...however, the cpu is not very powerful and RAM is so-so to run Gingerbread...overclocking might get it to run, but how smoothly...

Lambchop
04-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Gingerbread runs quite well but it does take a little bit of time to start the phone up. I use 2.2 for stability. One thing I love about Android is that there are so many emulators for the old consoles such as the Playstation, N64 and GBA. :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
05-12-2011, 01:53 AM
That is a good, basic smartphone Lamby. And by the looks of it, it has 2.2 as stock cuz of the icons and livewallpaper... and I see you have discovered the beauty of android and custom ROMs since you talk about getting 2.3.3...however, the cpu is not very powerful and RAM is so-so to run Gingerbread...overclocking might get it to run, but how smoothly...

Overclocking a phone...

I am getting old :lol: