PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Goddess Temple Raided; 16 People Detained

Teh One Who Knocks
09-09-2011, 10:15 PM
By Niki D'Andrea - The Phoenix New Times

http://i.imgur.com/t7Zwe.jpg

Phoenix Goddess Temple, the "sexual healing" church featured in the New Times' story Sacred Sexuality in February, was raided by Phoenix police officers Wednesday.

Sixteen people -- five men and eleven women -- were detained for questioning. Among those arrested was temple practitioner Wayne Clayton, who is one of 12 people being indicted on grand jury charges including illegal control of enterprise, maintaining a house of prostitution, and receiving the earnings of a prostitute.

Phoenix police sergeant Steve Martos confirmed that officers served a search warrant at the temple, located near 24th Street and Thomas Road yesterday afternoon. Sgt. Martos said not all of the 16 people being questioned are employees of the temple.

http://i.imgur.com/oufQN.png

In 2009, police visited the Goddess Temple's previous location in a residential area of Scottsdale after neighbors complained. The temple moved to its current location in March 2010.

No one at Phoenix Goddess Temple could be reached for comment, but practitioners at the temple and "Temple Mother" Tracy Elise have long maintained that the "sessions" they have with clients are part of their religion and are for "healing" purposes.

Also arrested during Wednesday's raid were Heidi Winemiller, Sandra Brown, Marilyn Hussey, Amanda Twitty, Jamie Baker, Theresa Eakin, Holly Alsop, Patricia Boyko, Dawn Colwell, Janet Craven, and Alex Averill.

In addition to the raid on the Phoenix Goddess Temple, search warrants were served Wednesday at the Sedona Temple, a similar "church" where Goddess Temple practitioners have worked. Police have not said what they were looking for during the raid, only that the warrant is part of an ongoing investigation.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Why are they infringing on these people religious beliefs?

DemonGeminiX
09-09-2011, 10:48 PM
And I was all ready to join up.

*Cancels flight arrangements to Arizona*

RBP
09-09-2011, 11:46 PM
:wank: Release my demon seed!

Dragoness_Cutie
09-10-2011, 12:58 AM
If this place is operating as a temple and this is their actual religion, then their rights are being messed with here and I hope they sue the Phoenix police for this. Sooo easy for someone to use that as a coverup for a brothel, though. Given all the publicity on this place as being a temple of healing, and them envoking sacred sexuality, though, I think the police are the ones in the wrong here.