PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Bear Grylls: impaled man's 90-minute crawl for help

Teh One Who Knocks
09-13-2011, 11:47 AM
NINO BUCCI - The Land

Paramedics are amazed at a heavily bleeding man's 90-minute crawl for help after he impaled himself on a steel picket in a park in Melbourne's north-west yesterday.

Comparing the 45-year-old to TV survival expert and adventurer Bear Grylls, paramedics described how he took a calculated risk by pulling the picket from his upper leg with no help in sight.

The drama began when the man, who is trained in advanced first-aid, fell from a rock near a lookout in Brimbank Park, Keilor East, yesterday afternoon, on to a picket that speared through the upper rear part of one of his legs.

After passing out from the pain, the man regained consciousness - and had the grit to apply his belt as a tourniquet and pull the picket from his leg.

He then dragged himself 50 metres up an embankment to his car, where he called for help.

Advanced life-support paramedics Louise Wylie and Cate Jones arrived at the lookout about 7pm to find the man in his car, suffering from blood loss and the effort of his 90-minute struggle.

‘‘He’s certainly shown some Bear Grylls characteristics in removing himself from a very difficult situation,’’ Ms Wylie said.

‘‘He’s probably very fortunate in the fact that he has a level-three first-aid certificate and had a good knowledge of what he was up against.’’

But Ms Jones said she was concerned the man may have worsened his injury when he pulled the stake from his leg. She said it was important not to remove objects that pierce the skin to prevent more serious injuries and bleeding.

"The first ambulance arrived within nine minutes of the call to find the man was in severe pain, bleeding extensively and quite pale and sweaty," she said.

"I used direct pressure on the wound to help reduce the bleeding.

"We put a drip in his arm and gave him a large amount of fluid through the drip to help raise his dangerously low blood pressure."

The man was taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital in a stable condition.

FBD
09-13-2011, 04:44 PM
But Ms Jones said she was concerned the man may have worsened his injury when he pulled the stake from his leg. She said it was important not to remove objects that pierce the skin to prevent more serious injuries and bleeding.

generally that's correct, but when you've got a hike to even have the ability to be saved, screw that.

but if help's already coming...
reminds me of that time an old friend of mine had an old dodge dart and he plowed some pickup with it and the turn signal stabbed him in the leg and fkn broke off, sticking out of his leg! he looks down, takes it out and throws it on the floor and his leg just went PFFFFFFFFF bleeding, he was all "oooooooooooh, shit...I probably shouldnt have done that" :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-13-2011, 05:08 PM
It was is time of the month I see

Hal-9000
09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
My buddy recently had a nail go right through his eyeball....he yoinks it out, tries to drive a golf cart (he works outside of our city at a camp) to find some help
and eventually gets back into the city to a hospital.

Both the paramedic and the attending doctor tell him he should not have removed the nail...

YEAH RIGHT! :lol: you got a 1 inch nail protruding from your eyeball and you're supposed to leave in in there for the next hour???? FFS my eyes tear up when I get a little spec of dust in them....

PorkChopSandwiches
09-13-2011, 05:22 PM
*skeets in Hals eyes*

Hal-9000
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM
like pepper spray, I've grown a tolerance to your skeet shots :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
09-13-2011, 05:49 PM
:lol:

Muddy
09-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I thought Bear Grylls was a Brit ..