PDA

View Full Version : Plan to bring UK clocks forward

redred
02-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Longer evenings could move a step closer with a government plan to move UK clocks forward an extra hour.
A "tourism strategy" will include a plan to move the clocks in line with most of Europe, bringing lighter evenings but darker mornings.
Tourism chiefs and safety campaigners support the move, but there are fears in Scotland about road accidents.
Ministers want to be satisfied the country backs the plan before giving the go-ahead, the BBC understands.
Last year, Prime Minister David Cameron indicated he was willing to consider a switch.
"The argument will be won when people across the country feel comfortable with the change," he said in August.
"It's up to those who want to make the change to make the argument to try to convince people right across the country that it's a good thing.
"People who like taking part in sporting activity and would like longer days are already quite easy to sway. That's the key to winning this argument."
The proposals will be published by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport in the coming week, the BBC has been told.
Three-year trial
Bringing the clocks forward by one hour would bring the UK into line with Central European Time (CET), which is British Summer Time (BST) plus one hour and Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) plus two hours.
Tourism bosses say the number of overseas visitors would increase if summer evenings were lighter and they estimate the benefits to the economy could total billions of pounds.
But there have been fears expressed in Scotland that putting the clocks forward would increase road accidents in the darker mornings.
A parliamentary bill requiring the government to conduct analysis of the costs and benefits of shifting the clocks forward received MPs' initial approval in December.
A three-year experiment to keep BST all year took place between 1968 and 1971, but was not made permanent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12517762

Vixen
02-20-2011, 01:41 PM
[-( nuh uh not having that...why should we change our time to accommodate tourists, do they do the same for us? do they bollocks the chicken shit government bend over far too easily to please other countries and cultures and is neglecting our own, we may be a diverse country but it doesn't mean we have to give in to everyone over everything ffs! I'm all for stopping the clocks being put forward and back every year as it's a pain and very unnecessary but I ain't for being brought into line with the europeans, next they'll want us to change to the euro and I certainly don't want that

redred
02-20-2011, 04:57 PM
but it is nicer having summer drinks sat outside a pub with the sun still out i wouldn't mind it

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I wish they would do away with Daylight Savings/Summer Time altogether :wha:

redred
02-20-2011, 05:18 PM
would save me trying to work out how to change all the clocks in my kitchen :lol:

Goofy
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Doesnt really matter to me........ its not like we ever see the sun anyway :| Daylight lasting longer into the evening would just mean i can watch the rain for longer :sad2:

redred
02-20-2011, 06:02 PM
:lol:

Southern Belle
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Doesnt really matter to me........ its not like we ever see the sun anyway :| Daylight lasting longer into the evening would just mean i can watch the rain for longer :sad2::lol:

Godfather
02-20-2011, 07:28 PM
why should we change our time to accommodate tourists

$20 Billion a year might be a decent reason :lol: The UK is one of the largest tourist destinations in the world.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but I get why they'd want to make any more money there. With 25 million tourists there, finding ways to make them spend dollars is huge money for the UK :lol:

Starchild
02-20-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't care what they do anymore. I used to get pissed off trying to work out how to change all the clocks but now they're all radio controlled I just let them get on with it. Time is linear anyways..............

Hal-9000
02-20-2011, 08:21 PM
I think the Brits should have set their clocks back about 7 hours anyways....so they'd be in line with the rest of the civilized world for once (us)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2011, 08:24 PM
I think the Brits should have set their clocks back about 7 hours anyways....so they'd be in line with the rest of the civilized world for once (us)

Mountain Time FTW! :banana:

Hal-9000
02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
aaand I see my forum time is incorrect again :lol:

*blames the Brits*

Goofy
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
aaand I see my forum time is incorrect again :lol:

*blames the Brits*

I change your settings just to fuck with your head :tup:

Joebob034
02-20-2011, 08:52 PM