PDA

View Full Version : Immigrants have children for benefits, says Asian peer

redred
09-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Immigrants have children for benefits, says Asian peer
The UK's first female Asian peer has used a debate in the Lords to criticise Pakistani and Bangladeshi families for having too many children.
Baroness Flather suggested people in some minority communities had a large number of children in order to be able to claim more benefits.
The peer, born in Lahore before the partition of India, said the issue did not apply to families of Indian origin.
The cross-bencher said benefit cuts could help to discourage extra births.
Baroness Flather, speaking during a debate on the government's welfare changes, said: "The minority communities in this country, particularly the Pakistanis and the Bangladeshis have a very large number of children and the attraction is the large number of benefits that follow the child.
"Nobody likes to accept that, nobody likes to talk about it because it is supposed to be very politically incorrect."
The 67-year-old said that immigrant families must stop having lots of children "as a means of improving the amount of money they receive or getting a bigger house."
Indians 'different'
The former Tory peer also claimed Indian families had a different mentality to Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities in the UK.
"Indians have fallen into the pattern here," she told peers. "They do not have large families because they are like the Jews of old. They want their children to be educated.
"This is the other problem - there is no emphasis on education in the Pakistani and Bangladeshi families."
Baroness Flather called for a gradual reduction in benefits in order to discourage large families and suggested payments should be reduced after a couple's first two children.
She said: "I really feel that for the first two children there should be a full raft of benefits, for the third child three-quarters and for the fourth child a half."
Baroness Flather's comments were not well-received by Labour work and pensions spokesman Lord McKenzie.
Concluding the argument for the opposition, he told the Lords: "I had not expected the treatise on the family sizes of the Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities and hope I don't again."
Welfare reform minister Lord Freud, replying to the debate, did not refer to Lady Flather's comments.
The Welfare Reform Bill is the biggest shake-up of the benefits system for 60 years.
A universal payment to replace income-related work-based benefits, such as child tax credit, is planned, as are stricter rules for people losing their benefits if they refuse a job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14909062

redred
09-14-2011, 07:13 AM
so even a person from india can see people coming over from other countries take the UK benefit system for a ride :roll:

Teh One Who Knocks
09-14-2011, 11:52 AM
They do the same thing here, except it's not limited to the immigrants. :|

redred
09-14-2011, 12:58 PM
They do the same thing here, except it's not limited to the immigrants. :|

yes we have the same problem i would think ,kids finish school or drop out with no exam results yet still work out that if they have a kid a year for the next ten years the government will put a roof over there heads and keep upgrading size to help there growing family plus feed and dress them ,and then if the person then decides to have a go at this real world working thing soon finds out that they can't earn anywhere near what they were getting in benefits so carry on sponging

Acid Trip
09-14-2011, 02:48 PM
This news story is entirely too hard to read without proper spacing :sad:

Muddy
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Agreed.. I can't believe Lance read it, either.

PorkChopSandwiches
09-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I have to skip most of reds news post do to spacing, but it looks like you are having the same issues as us.

redred
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
so how about clicking the link i post along side it ? takes you to the page i found it on:-k

Softdreamer
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
One of my school friends has a selection of children that are like a paint colour chart. Her last facebook status about having a 4th child was not about how wonderful it would be to become a (single) parent again, but how wonderful it will be to finally get that bigger house (free from the council).

Needless to say I thought about deleting her, but alas. BBC comedy is not what it used to be, so the humours of real life will have to keep me entertained :)

Muddy
09-14-2011, 03:28 PM
so how about clicking the link i post along side it ?

Fuck that shit... :lol:

redred
09-14-2011, 03:38 PM
:slap: it ain't meatspin

Muddy
09-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Theres far worse than that out there... :lol:

redred
09-14-2011, 04:14 PM
well quote the post and check theres no hidden link then :lol: