PDA

View Full Version : Teen in custody after rocket launcher found in car

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2011, 11:29 AM
KTVU-TV News

NOVATO, Calif. -- What started with a simple traffic stop Tuesday morning ended with a teen under arrest after officers spotted a rocket-propelled grenade launcher in the back seat of his SUV.

The big question that remained for police, the military, and many residents in Novato was how the teenager was able to get his hands on the destructive weapon.

Police said the bizarre incident began when the 15-year-old boy driving a blue Dodge Burango down Novato Boulevard was blasting loud music at around 9:40 a.m. Tuesday morning, which led officers to pull him over.

After the stop, officers saw the AT4 rocket propelled grenade or RPG launcher sitting unconcealed in the back of the vehicle. The single-shot, recoil-less weapon was developed in the early 1980s and is made in Sweden and the United States.

"It's unusual for Novato to recover an RPG from the back of a vehicle," said Novato Police Cpl. Nick Frey.

Not taking any chances, police shut down the busy thoroughfare and evacuated nearby businesses including the main library.

"I think I'm glad we evacuated," said library branch manager Eva Patterson.

Patients at a nearby medical office building couldn't get to their appointments.

"I heard helicopters and sirens and I went outside and a police officer told me what was going on," said Dr. Jay Skelton. "I was very surprised."

Some locals were unnerved when they heard the news.

"That's a little scary," said area resident Jeff Lomason. "Very scary."

A UC Berkeley bomb squad robot was put into action. Police said the RPG was fully functional, but the grenade itself wasn't found.

Police are now trying to determine where that is as well as the bigger question: how did the teen get his hands on an RPG?

"I believe there are some type of serial numbers or bar code on the device itself and that Travis Air Force Base may have the capabilities of using that information to assist with the investigation," explained Novato Police Cpl. Nick Frey.

The 15-year-old was booked into juvenile hall on felony charges including possession of a destructive device.

Police are looking into reports he has a brother that was or is still in the military. The RPG is now at Travis Air Force Base.

FBD
09-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Blasting loud music...that gets you pulled over? :lol: fkn police state

Teh One Who Knocks
09-15-2011, 11:40 AM

It's called disturbing the peace :-s

PorkChopSandwiches
09-15-2011, 02:35 PM
They evacuated? :roll:

Hal-9000
09-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Remember: Rocket launchers don't kill people, people kill people

ok...so the rocket launcher may help a little with the killing bit :rolleyes:

Joebob034
09-15-2011, 05:22 PM
I like that he had it unconcealed in his car

DemonGeminiX
09-15-2011, 06:16 PM

They cite you for that for eating two cans of beans too.

:no:

JoeyB
09-15-2011, 10:16 PM

And it's a legitimate thing for a cop to do.

""It's unusual for Novato to recover an RPG from the back of a vehicle," said Novato Police Cpl. Nick Frey."

No shit?

Griffin
09-15-2011, 10:29 PM
he was probably pulled over for driving a Burango.

deebakes
09-16-2011, 12:32 AM
What is a burango? :-k

KevinD
09-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Durango...

Gonna take the opposing side here....I wonder where in Cal. law it specifies that an unloaded RPG is illegal? With no grenade, at this point it's just a hollow tube. Also, since there was no grenade, and the fact that it is made with the grenade, and can only be fired once, this leads me to believe that the kid had a souvenir. I could be way off base, but every AT4 I've ever seen without a grenade had already been fired.

deebakes
09-16-2011, 01:31 AM
crazy ass texans :shock:

KevinD
09-16-2011, 01:38 AM
How so? I only have knowledge of RPGs and LAWs from military service. I personally have zero interest in having any non functional weapon. I was just pointing out a few things to think about.

Personally, I can't help but wonder what a 15 year old was doing with a used AT4, much less driving by himself. AFAIK, driving at that age is not legal anywhere in the states.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2011, 01:48 AM
How so? I only have knowledge of RPGs and LAWs from military service. I personally have zero interest in having any non functional weapon. I was just pointing out a few things to think about.

Personally, I can't help but wonder what a 15 year old was doing with a used AT4, much less driving by himself. AFAIK, driving at that age is not legal anywhere in the states.

14. Grenade Or Rocket Launchers.
Tube type grenade launchers that can fire antipersonnel cartridges, functioning rocket launchers and mortars are Destructive Devices under Federal law, subject to NFA restrictions and felony penalties. California provides felony penalties for possession of any rocket launcher or grenade launcher, whether tube type, cup type or spigot type. Flare launchers are generally exempted as pyrotechnic signaling devices, unless the owner also possesses anti-personnel ammunition that fits the device.

http://www.gunlaw.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=91

Griffin
09-16-2011, 01:57 AM
What is a burango? :-k

that's what the article said.

KevinD
09-16-2011, 02:02 AM
But if the AT4 didn't have a grenade attached, then it is NOT functional as it is a one shot fire and throw away weapon. It cannot be reused. (Unless I am getting my RPGs confused.)

KevinD
09-16-2011, 02:04 AM
From Wiki:

The AT4 (also variously AT-4, AT4 CS, AT4-CS, or AT-4CS)[6] is an 84-mm unguided, portable, single-shot recoilless smoothbore weapon built in Sweden by Saab Bofors Dynamics (previously Bofors Anti-Armour Systems). Saab has had considerable sales success with the AT4, making it one of the most common light anti-tank weapons in the world.

The designation "CS" represents "confined space" referring to the propellant charge being designed to operate effectively within buildings in an urban environment.[7] It is intended to give infantry units a means to destroy or disable armored vehicles and fortifications, although it is not generally sufficient to defeat a modern main battle tank (MBT). The launcher and projectile are manufactured prepacked and issued as a single unit of ammunition with the launcher discarded after a single use.

Teh One Who Knocks
09-16-2011, 02:07 AM
And are average police officers supposed to be experts on all military weapons?

KevinD
09-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Hahaha, hell, the average police officer around here is barely conversant with traffic laws.

I wasn't in any way supporting the kid, was just playing a bit of devil's advocate if you will.

deebakes
09-16-2011, 02:18 AM
*splashes holy water on kd*

KevinD
09-16-2011, 02:21 AM
<ouch>

JoeyB
09-16-2011, 05:10 AM

Well not for this kid, but I do believe that in some rural areas farm kids are allowed limited driving privileges at very young ages. I could be wrong.

FBD
09-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Its legal here :thumbsup:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=58.413333,-135.736944&spn=0.876122,2.90863&t=m&z=9&vpsrc=0&lci=com.panoramio.all

but then again, with a year round population under 200, not much sense in worrying about it :lol:

driving at 15, I mean...not the rocket launcher :dance:

KevinD
09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Well not for this kid, but I do believe that in some rural areas farm kids are allowed limited driving privileges at very young ages. I could be wrong.

That was called a "hardship" license when I was young. TBH, I don't know if they still do that or not.

FBD, is that Alaska? That's not really part of the US. lol

JoeyB
09-16-2011, 10:32 PM
That was called a "hardship" license when I was young. TBH, I don't know if they still do that or not.

I don't either. It's too bad we don't have some tool that would allow us to easily access that information. Oh well.

KevinD
09-18-2011, 02:19 AM
Am I gonna have to red shirt you youngster? You been on my ass a lot lately, lol

JoeyB
09-18-2011, 04:59 AM
Am I gonna have to red shirt you youngster? You been on my ass a lot lately, lol

Have I? Shit, and you haven't even heard about your unfortunate return voyage from South America yet...but don't worry, you were not killed by Waldo or anything.